PDA

View Full Version : Home cheapo mulch...sucks!

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I grabbed a couple bags from there today as it was closest. I NEVER buy mulch there, it was only out of convenience. Not only was it more expensive than my supplier, but the quality sucked too. Never again.
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Exactly. I went to Home depot last week to get 55 bags of cyprus mulch. The 1st 20 bags where nice and light colered but the last 35 where dark and dirty looking. I did not relize this until I got to my customers house and started putting down the mulch. I always went to Lowes but they now keep mulch behind the fence in my area. I like to pull my truck up to the mulch and load.

rob7233
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
The red mulch from HD is total crap. Very inconsistent quality, grind size is all over the place, chunks of trash material all in it and the dye bleeds like a
mother! The problem is that most HO's don't know any better and quite a few LCO's don't either.

Keith
02-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Which brand was it? I know Lowes and HD switch brands every once in a while. And it will vary by area as well.

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Timberline or timberlite...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Everything related to lawn and garden at home depot sucks. Except for Ames equipment, that stuff is decent.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Which brand was it? I know Lowes and HD switch brands every once in a while. And it will vary by area as well.

Does the Brand really matter? HD & Lowe's change brands out like I change my socks. Whatever they can get at the lowest price. So, I'm guessing they might be the mulch source of choice for you?

Keith
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Wtf, I just asked a question. I've seen some that was absolute garbage and some that was not bad at all. I thought it might be helpful to tell people what brand to avoid rather than guessing at what you used. The brands I found to be bad were Timberline and Robin Hood.

Before you get up on your soapbox and poo poo people for buying mulch at a big box store, realize they might not have another choice. If it matters to you, I usually buy mine from a local nursery. But I do buy it from Lowes on occasion when I have cleaned the nursery out and need more.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Wtf, I just asked a question. I've seen some that was absolute garbage and some that was not bad at all. I thought it might be helpful to tell people what brand to avoid rather than guessing at what you used. The brands I found to be bad were Timberline and Robin Hood.

Before you get up on your soapbox and poo poo people for buying mulch at a big box store, realize they might not have another choice. If it matters to you, I usually buy mine from a local nursery. But I do buy it from Lowes on occasion when I have cleaned the nursery out and need more.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess you answered my question and we all agree then.

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I guess you answered my question and we all agree then.

Wow....
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 10:54 PM
This is my favorite time of year........winter but almost spring....fights on LS break out everywhere........:):):)

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
This is my favorite time of year........winter but almost spring....fights on LS break out everywhere........:):):)

No, more like some people on here are arrogant and think their you know what don't stink.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Then DON'T be messin' wit my boy HENRYB..........................

rob7233
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh Chit, it's RUMBLE time !!!

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Then DON'T be messin' wit my boy HENRYB..........................

For Realzzzzzzz .......WORD

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Leeeeeeeeeeeetttttttsssssss geeeeeeeeeetttttt reaaaaaadddddyyyyyy toooooooo rummmmmmmmmmbllllllleeeee>.....

billslawn89
02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
haha, I was at JDL today and they are selling mulch, 3 cubic for 2.45 a bag in my area. Don't know name brand but they tried selling me a pallet. lol

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
haha, I was at JDL today and they are selling mulch, 3 cubic for 2.45 a bag in my area. Don't know name brand but they tried selling me a pallet. lol

I bought mulch from them once before, worse than HD.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
02-16-2012, 11:21 PM
I bought mulch from them once before, worse than HD.
Posted via Mobile Device

I seen the pallets sitting outside and didn't even look at them to see the quality, but they have a dark coco color of some sort they were saying. Its not a bad price though, IMO.

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I seen the pallets sitting outside and didn't even look at them to see the quality, but they have a dark coco color of some sort they were saying. Its not a bad price though, IMO.

Boiling forest mulch has a nicer chocolate color mulch if you have one around you.

billslawn89
02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Boiling forest mulch has a nicer chocolate color mulch if you have one around you.

I think I'm too far south, in Sarasota county.

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I think I'm too far south, in Sarasota county.

To be honest I am not sure of all there locations....I do know they are big around here.

jvanvliet
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I grabbed a couple bags from there today as it was closest. I NEVER buy mulch there, it was only out of convenience. Not only was it more expensive than my supplier, but the quality sucked too. Never again.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: how much garbage did you find in it?

Florida Gardener
02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
:laugh: how much garbage did you find in it?

Some. The only plus about the mulch is I can use the bags for landscape waste.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLCS
02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I know for a fact menards grinds their own mulch and I believe Home Depot and Lowes does the same. A few years ago I asked the manager at our local Menards what they do with all the junk lumber, because god knows they have alot. He said it all goes back to the wharehouse and they grind it into wood chips and its then bagged for landscape mulch. This goes for all their scrap lumber too. I'm sure all the big box stores do the same.

RoyalTree
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I believe all the home depot mulch and pavers/hardscaping in the whole southeast us comes from the same vendor, old castle. They carry many brands but its all the same stuff. I think they also supply lowes and most other big box stores.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
03-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Its called Bolling Forest Products, not boiling.. just for informational purposes for everyone

j-ville native
03-27-2012, 08:23 PM
what's funny is when you buy mulch at home depot the cashier lady will act like you are buying sooooooooo much mulch. I bought 40 bags the other day for a small job to mulch 3 beds for a customer and the cashier thought that was a ridiculous amount. I told her 40 bags doesn't go very far. I guess most people usually buy like 4 or 5 bags at a time to take home in the trunk of their honda civic.