PDA

View Full Version : winter rye

wkbrafford
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Seeded a yard with Annual winter rye last november and it came out looking like a carpet. I was thinking about over seeding it with fescue in the springtime. Would that be the best seed choice to establish with the winter rye.

RigglePLC
02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=FES-XRE-KBG

Take a look at this. You want disease resistance and a degree of spreadability and self repair.

wkbrafford
02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
With spring coming, that seems like a excellent choice Of fescue to use. Riggle, seems like you used the seed before. Did your outcome meet your expectations for the lawn throughout the summer months? I was not going to aerate either in spring time because it will bring on the arrival of weeds. Would that be the right choice, also heard that if you overseed before you kill the rye that fescue you overseesed with will be fighting for nutrients and sometimes the success rate varies. What would be the best method to use?
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Spring generally is not the best time to seed fescue. If done in the spring the seedlings don't have enough time to establish before the hot and dry summer gets here. Fall is usually the best time to seed fescue. NC state has a great site with maintenance calendars for all types of grass in NC. http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/

Smallaxe
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Spring generally is not the best time to seed fescue. If done in the spring the seedlings don't have enough time to establish before the hot and dry summer gets here. Fall is usually the best time to seed fescue. NC state has a great site with maintenance calendars for all types of grass in NC. http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/

How long will the winter rye survive before the heat kicks in? Will the rye cover the new seeding adequately in NC?

1999frontier
02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I've seeded winter rye (annula ryegrass) in my backyard for the past 3 years and by May or very early June it is toast. Gets too hot and the rye dies.

wkbrafford
02-17-2012, 05:16 PM
So what would be the best springtime grass to overseed with? If fescue will burn by the summertime? I believe good overseed fescue with good fertilizer to broadcast will mature good by summer
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Where in NC are you. Depending on location and also how much sun does the area have?
Posted via Mobile Device

wkbrafford
02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Raleigh very nice topsoil. the sunlight is real good too. Moist soil too so it stays little wet in the backyard
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
02-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Do you have irrigation or plan on watering? If its a lot of sun and You want to go with a warm season grass you could try bermuda and then overseed with annual ryegrass(winter rye) for a green lawn year round. I've got fescue in my front yard and bermuda in the back. I started with the front since it is smaller than the back. Last year I had a hard time deciding if I wanted bermuda because once you go bermuda its hard to get rid of. Makes a pretty lawn though
Posted via Mobile Device