PDA

View Full Version : Blowers

unkownfl
02-16-2012, 11:28 PM
What blowers are people using for regular residential maintenance. I would never use this for big properties or leaves. I've been using the big Shindaiwa and Br600's but I find them so hard on fuel. I use my little trusty Husqvarna bt150 when I blow but the helpers use the big ones. Also, is anyone using a handheld with the backpack? I was looking at the Husqvarna bt125 or Stihl bg86. It's been windy so having two I think would be beneficial.

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
I have redmax 7100 and 8150 or something like that. Honestly, I'm not trying to save on fuel, I'm trying to get everything blown off as fast as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
I use the Stihl BG86. Does good on leaves for me but keep saying every year about buying a backpack for the leaves.

unkownfl
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I have redmax 7100 and 8150 or something like that. Honestly, I'm not trying to save on fuel, I'm trying to get everything blown off as fast as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

The yards I service are so small and I've timed out both blowers on the same yards and it's not even a difference worth mentioning if any. I think you just feel like you're going faster with the big blowers. Either way the fuel isn't much to complain about more of just an annoyance than cost issue.

Florida Gardener
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
The yards I service are so small and I've timed out both blowers on the same yards and it's not even a difference worth mentioning if any. I think you just feel like you're going faster with the big blowers. Either way the fuel isn't much to complain about more of just an annoyance than cost issue.

I understand if you have small yards. I have 3 that are .86-.92 acres with long driveways and big areas. A handheld blower on a windy day would be futile. Even on a calm day it would take way longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I understand if you have small yards. I have 3 that are .86-.92 acres with long driveways and big areas. A handheld blower on a windy day would be futile. Even on a calm day it would take way longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea I would always use the back pack but add a hand held in my left hand to help direct it on windy days.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-16-2012, 11:48 PM
REDMAX EBZ7500RH here....

Keith
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Been a long time since I have owned a handheld, but I have thought about buying one recently.

The best handheld I ever owned, back in the day, was a Toro. The thing wasn't but about 7 lbs and had enough power. I have no idea who was making Toro's stuff back then. Maybe Robin, but I'm sure it predated the Maruyama era.

Landscape Poet
02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I use the Stihl BG86. I used one of these for about a year straight when I first started out down here. The smaller handhelds do a fine job overall on the smaller properties.....the issue I had with it was after a long day....my right arm felt like it had been at war.

A couple of other issues. It seemed real moody. One time it would start on the first pull, other times after cranking my shoulder out it would finally fire up.

Last issue with them. If you have lawns with deep/tall edges on the sidewalk...these little guys seem to lack the little extra ump to get those clippings over the edge with ease. It will do it, but on a long summers day it seems like it takes forever at times to get it done.

billslawn89
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
A couple of other issues. It seemed real moody. One time it would start on the first pull, other times after cranking my shoulder out it would finally fire up.

LOL, seems like the last couple of days this has been happening. Starts up fine when cold, but after using it awhile or just sitting in the back of the truck in the hot sun, hard to start, same with the string trimmer fs90r..both bought new last year. strange.

01thump
02-17-2012, 05:35 PM
I just bought two sthil br600....LOVE THEM!!!

stickleylawncare
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Ive been thinking about getting a handheld just for when we pick up a new small account that is alone from others. Our main blowers are the BR600s and even though we have several small lawns, luckily they are pretty well grouped together that its not overkill at all for the BR600s. We have several where we have 8-10 on a corner and can make the entire street/cul de sac(sp?)
look very nice when we leave.

Landscape Poet
02-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Ive been thinking about getting a handheld just for when we pick up a new small account that is alone from others. Our main blowers are the BR600s and even though we have several small lawns, luckily they are pretty well grouped together that its not overkill at all for the BR600s. We have several where we have 8-10 on a corner and can make the entire street/cul de sac(sp?)
look very nice when we leave.

That is how most of my route is too these day and I have a br600 that has made life nice on these group of homes.

I do totally understand the OP's question though because when I first started out down here and the route was not as dense...the little handheld do make a lot more sense. Especially if they are a secondary blower.

unkownfl
02-17-2012, 07:42 PM
That is how most of my route is too these day and I have a br600 that has made life nice on these group of homes.

I do totally understand the OP's question though because when I first started out down here and the route was not as dense...the little handheld do make a lot more sense. Especially if they are a secondary blower.

I'm not debating a hand held vs back pack. I'm just curious on the size of back packs? br420 vs br600 for just small lawns etc. I was also asking about using both at the same time like having the back pack on and using a hand held on windy days or to get over those really bad resod jobs that have roots showing now. I just recently bought a small 3 gallon hand held sprayer instead of putting on the big shindaiwa to hit three weeds I can grab the hand held and whack out faster than I can put the back pack on.

jvanvliet
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
shindaiwa eb802 & stihl br350 for the light work