PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw fuel lines

LarryF
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Its a Craftsman chainsaw model 358.356090. It's quite old but wasn't used much, and the plastic fuel lines are broken into several pieces. The Sears replacement kit is only about 4 bucks, so that's not a big problem. However, the exploded view showing the parts (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/craftsman-358356090-gas-chainsaw-parts-c-158286_172209_172243.html) shows only one plastic fuel line (item 18 in the diagram on that web site); whereas, the saw actually has two. It's crystal clear to me where the one attached to the fuel filter on one side and the carb on the other belongs, but I have no idea where the second one goes. I also don't know what it's function is. Some Craftsman chain saws have a primer which would account for a second line, but mine doesn't. When I removed the outside cover of the saw, the broken pieces of the fuel lines fell out. Each of the two lines penetrated the fuel tank, but I don't know where the second one goes to. I tried asking Sears via email, but so far have not gotten a response. Does anyone on this forum know the function of the second fuel line and where it goes after it comes out of the tank?

Landrus2
02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
The second line is a fuel return :waving:

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
2 thoughts. The second line is a return from the carb back to the tank. Second is it had a small plastic vent on the end for the tank.:usflag:

LarryF
02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
The second line is a fuel return :waving:

2 thoughts. The second line is a return from the carb back to the tank. Second is it had a small plastic vent on the end for the tank.:usflag:

Thanks to both of you for responding. I thought the second line might be a return, but there is only one fuel port on the carb, and that's the one the line with the filter in the tank connects to. So that leaves it being a vent line as a most likely candidate. There is a small plastic fitting inside the tank at the end of the second tube designed perhaps so that air but not much fuel can pass through, so maybe it is a vent line. Seems strange that it's not shown on the diagram provided on that web site I identified above. Well, the tubing and a new filter are on order, so I'll find out in a week or so when I put the saw back together. And who knows, maybe Sears will get back to me with an explanation. I don't have very high expectations for that, however.

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
You can get the vent at any parts place. They are all pretty universal regardless of make. Just keeps fuel from spilling when it gets turned on it's side.:usflag:

piston slapper
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
The second line is for the tank vent ....if you cant find it , use one from an echo trimmer.
Thats usually what I use...Check to make sure you dont have a crumbled hose coming from the cylinder to the backside of the intake block....
Some had a pulse hose to make the fuel pump in the carb operate.

LarryF
02-17-2012, 12:26 PM
You can get the vent at any parts place. They are all pretty universal regardless of make. Just keeps fuel from spilling when it gets turned on it's side.:usflag:

Thanks again. I usually stay away from Craftsman stuff but I was on the lookout for something bigger than the Stihl and Husqvarna saws I had always owned, and this was on sale and looked like a bargain--half the price of what a comparable size saw of the brands I prefer. I had thought that since I wouldn't be using it much, it should last me forever. But I didn't expect the fuel lines to disintegrate sitting in my garage. When that happened and I started searching on the web, I found a few others who have had the same problem with a Sears chainsaw.

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Its a universal problem. Related to ethanol dissolving fuel lines, even the new resistant ones don't seem to like sitting for long periods.
Posted via Mobile Device

LarryF
02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone who responded. I got it running ok. As suggested, the second tube is just for venting the tank. There's a little duck-bill vent that is inside the tank and the tube connected to it doesn't connect to anything. Just lays loose. Sears doesn't sell it or even acknowledge that it exists. Maybe Poulan, the real manufacturer, does but I just used the old one. Seems to work ok. Sears had the tubing but didn't send the filter that is inside the tank attached to the hose that goes to the carb, so I used the old one there as well and sent email to Sears to cancel that order for the filter.

I didn't know what to do about the gas mix and posted another thread in this forum asking about that. For the purpose of just seeing if it would run, I used some 50:1 I have in the garage for all of my other 2-stroke engines. Only ran it for a minute, and I'll dump what's still in the tank and wait til I get some good advice on what to use when I start sawing wood.

Patriot Services
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Larry- if your only running these saws for a couple hours every few months use the canned premix from the box store. Ethanol free with shelf life stabilizers added. 5 bucks a quart but cheapers than constant fixes and worrying if its going to fire.:usflag:

dboyd351
02-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Patriot Services is right about the canned fuel. Another option is to find a gas station selling non-ethanol gas @ http://pure-gas.org/ and add Stabil to the gas when you buy it. Do that and it will be good for a year. It is still a good idea to dump the fuel from the saw and run it dry when you finish cutting.
You can run any good synthetic oil @ 50:1 in that saw, just like you do in your other 2 stroke equipment. The original specs may have said 32:1 or 40:1, but lots of guys run 50:1 with the newer synthetic oils and don't have problems. Might have to adjust the carb for best running, tough.

LarryF
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
You can run any good synthetic oil @ 50:1 in that saw, just like you do in your other 2 stroke equipment. The original specs may have said 32:1 or 40:1, but lots of guys run 50:1 with the newer synthetic oils and don't have problems. Might have to adjust the carb for best running, tough.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks! I did use 50:1 just to make sure the new fuel line I installed fixed my problem because I didn't feel like mixing some 16:1 that is recommended by Sears and I didn't believe a minute of running 50:1 could hurt anything. Now I'll run it dry as I always do and put it on the self until I need it again.