PDA

View Full Version : Managing Turfgrass Disease

JoeAtRU
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Richard Buckley, Plant Diagnostic Laboratory Director at Rutgers University, has this to say about turfgrass diseases:

"Poor turf is not the result of disease, disease is a result of poor turf. Be a good turf disease manager by becoming a competent agronomist. Then you can grow turf that tolerates, resists, or quickly recovers from pathogen attack."

Turfgrass Disease Management (http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/at0403ca.html) 3/9/12 (NJ)

RigglePLC
02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
When the weather is hot and humid or perfect (for disease)--everything hits the fan. Know your diseases and be prepared to take action when it happens.

And grow disease resistant grass.

ArTurf
02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Richard Buckley, Plant Diagnostic Laboratory Director at Rutgers University, has this to say about turfgrass diseases:

"Poor turf is not the result of disease, disease is a result of poor turf. Be a good turf disease manager by becoming a competent agronomist. Then you can grow turf that tolerates, resists, or quickly recovers from pathogen attack."

Turfgrass Disease Management (http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/at0403ca.html) 3/9/12 (NJ)

I would have to agree with this. But as Riggle said sometimes stuff happens.

To me turf/plant health is comparable to human health. Good health is a combination of several factors and is a cumulative effect. If a person practices good health habits they are less likely to experience sickness or will recover from it better. There is a saying in biology "Everything is everywhere it is just a matter if enviromental factors allow it to manifest itself".

greendoctor
02-18-2012, 05:58 AM
I hope the fellow who made that statement also controls the weather. There are grasses that resist disease, some more so than others. I learned the hard way that there is no such thing as a totally pest and disease resistant grass. At least ones that normal people want in their landscape.