PDA

View Full Version : tree demand

hlgmoney
12-01-2002, 11:31 AM
We are pondering the idea of starting a tree farm here in SC. WE already own the land and do a limited amount of landscape installs. Does anyone have any info as far as demand for these trees. I'm sold on evrything except marketing and moving these trees. I'd hate to end up with 5000 treees that I can't sell. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Lanelle
12-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Talk with tree liner suppliers such as Frank Schmidt Co. and come to MANTS in Baltimore in January. There you can talk to people and get a better feeling for the market. Remember that it takes about 7 years to grow a marketable tree so you have to be able to project out quite awhile into the future. Read American Nurseryman magazine.

kris
12-01-2002, 03:02 PM
Take all of Lanelle's advise .... we only plant around 1000 a year ... we can market them after about 5 years. Its no get rich quick business. Last year was the first year it made any money ( after about 7 years). Because of the drought this year we spent tons of time=money on watering. It will take you a while to get to know what grows the best for you .... we stick to 4-5 varieties.

hlgmoney
12-01-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for other sources of income besides maintenance and installs. Seems like it would be really profitable if you could move the product. I've visited the American Nurseryman website and plan on doing more research before making any decisions. Thanks

aquaturf
12-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Kris, what varieties you grow? Also, what type of equipment you use to put the transplants in the ground.

I am just getting started in the nursery business, and we will be planting about 500 one-inch caliper trees this spring. Considering planting Chinese Elm, Gingko Biloba, austrian pine (perhaps as a whip seedling), and Bradford Pear. Thanks.

Lanelle
12-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Please consider something better than Bradford Pear. Some of the other cultivars have a better habit and are less suseptible to storm damage. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.:)

kris
12-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Shubert chokecherry, Swedish Aspen, Ash ..to name a few

We get a load of bare root every spring and a crew of 6 or more plant them in a couple of days .... Bobcat with auger attachment digs the holes.

aquaturf
12-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Yes, Ash (maybe Summit or another var of green) is in demand here, that would be a good one to add. And thanks Lanelle, I will look into that about the Bradford. I am by no means committed to Bradford, but it does seem to be popular around here. What varieties would you recommend?

baddboygeorge
12-13-2002, 12:41 AM
as far as pears go check out the aritocrats they seem to do better than the bradfords in inclimate weather .around the louisville area alot of growers have switched to them for that reason the bradfords cant handle the snow ice an wind very well .