PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam

Golden Boy
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey guys. What are your thoughts on Seafoam? Do you run it in your personal vehicles or just equipment? I have read about it a lot and hear some great things about it. What are the downsides? Would you add it to the oil or just the fuel? or both? I was going to start using it for my wifes car and my explorer. Both are at 80-90k miles. I want to start doing more to prevent any major issues from happening. I would rather plan on spending $10 then having to pay out $8 unexpectedly.:usflag:

dboyd351
03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
It does do something. I say that because whenever my 1993 pickup with 217,000 miles starts running a little crappy, it will run better if I dump a can of seafoam in the tank. Might very well do the same thing if I put in a higher grade of gas.
There are people on here who say their equipment runs better if you put an ounce per gallon in the fuel, much like what happens to my truck.
I do think any improvement you see is a temporary thing and you would be better off doing good periodic maintenance like changing air and fuel filters, spark plugs, distributor, etc.

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 08:05 AM
It's a placebo...
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I started using it in all my two cycle fuel a few years ago. I was having problems with ethanol and someone recommended seafoam. I now use 1oz per gallon in all my mix and it helps prevent any more damage from happening. I also use it in addition to marine stabil when I put all my equipment away for the winter. I use the same 1oz per gallon ratio for stabilizing. I have also put it in the oil, the day before I do an oil change. I only did it with used equipment that I had just picked up and wanted to clean things out a bit.

I dont believe that it can actually solve any problems. It might mask certain things but isnt an actual fix. I do believe that it has benefits when used as part of a preventative maintenance plan. If you are going to use a large quantities, I would by the gallon jug or buy a case on ebay. I picked up 12 for about $80 shipped off ebay last year.

JBNC
03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I have used it in my tahoe. Put it in the oil a little before an oil change, put some in the gas tank, and I also clean the top end by sucking some in through the vacuum hose. I do it probably every 20-25k. Helps it run smoother and it idles much better.

JCLawn and more
03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I just use it when things don't start or run right. normally fixes the problem with bad gas, or a dirty carb.

piston slapper
03-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm...........another snakeoil thread......
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly!
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Exactly!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/horse.gif

GlynnC
03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Use the search function--you'll find a lot of opinions on Sea Foam.

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/horse.gif

Love the animation!
Posted via Mobile Device

RickyDL77
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
the only hope for better fuel, is a better fuel system.... :)

it does work pretty good as a knock off fuel injection cleaner on my Honda CRX. at $8 a bottle, its pretty much the same thing as paying say "Jiffy Lube" $60-$70 to do it, believe me they know less than you do. I run it through the intake by way of the vacuum line, usually gets the mpg back up for about a month. this on a '89 that gets 40-50 mpg. i would not recommend doing it unless you have seen it done, it can mess stuff up as well. Have actually seen a Hyundai stall out, backfire, then the engine started running at high rpms backwards!! fun stuff, luckaly it still ran after it died out lol.

HAPPY BLOODY MONDAY!!

Golden Boy
03-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to give it a shot and see what it can do.

cgaengineer
03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
the only hope for better fuel, is a better fuel system.... :)

it does work pretty good as a knock off fuel injection cleaner on my Honda CRX. at $8 a bottle, its pretty much the same thing as paying say "Jiffy Lube" $60-$70 to do it, believe me they know less than you do. I run it through the intake by way of the vacuum line, usually gets the mpg back up for about a month. this on a '89 that gets 40-50 mpg. i would not recommend doing it unless you have seen it done, it can mess stuff up as well. Have actually seen a Hyundai stall out, backfire, then the engine started running at high rpms backwards!! fun stuff, luckaly it still ran after it died out lol.

HAPPY BLOODY MONDAY!!

Ah...a 4 stroke car engine will not run backwards. In fact without modification to ignition system I don't know that any 4stroke would.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Ah...a 4 stroke car engine will not run backwards. In fact without modification to ignition system I don't know that any 4stroke would.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually used to be common in the marine industry. A different cam, hardened distributor gear and a starter flip made it possible. Boats need counter rotating screws and reversing reduction gearboxes weren't cost effective yet. No way a car reversed itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Actually used to be common in the marine industry. A different cam, hardened distributor gear and a starter flip made it possible. Boats need counter rotating screws and reversing reduction gearboxes weren't cost effective yet. No way a car reversed itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

A small 4 stroke airplane engine may do it, but they are diesel. Small as in model airplane
Posted via Mobile Device

jkingrph
03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
A small 4 stroke airplane engine may do it, but they are diesel. Small as in model airplane
Posted via Mobile Device

I have seen plenty of the two stroke glow engines start and run backwards, but never a 4 stroke. I actually thought diesel model aircraft engines were a thing of the past, it's been a lot of years since I saw one. The 4 strokes I have seen have been ignition(spark plug) engines.

ed2hess
03-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to give it a shot and see what it can do.

Go get the Mechanic in a Bottle....thread is on here. Definitely not endorsed by the real mechanics on here but I say it is better than sea foam. The Echo technical rep evaluated several of these addatives and they are highly recommending it to the dealer. It can be used to clean up stuff and run long term. It cost about$55 for a bucket of it.

cgaengineer
03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I have seen plenty of the two stroke glow engines start and run backwards, but never a 4 stroke. I actually thought diesel model aircraft engines were a thing of the past, it's been a lot of years since I saw one. The 4 strokes I have seen have been ignition(spark plug) engines.

Got to admit...it's been a while for me too. I thought they were all glow engines.
Posted via Mobile Device

RickyDL77
03-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

All I know is it was smoking out the exhaust like it was supposed to, then stalled out, backfired, and then reved up blowing smoke out of the intake and I ran in the other direction lol. lasted all of about 10 seconds. Never tried again without someone on the gas. I was an Assistant Manager at Jiffy Lube at the time.. place was a joke.

dboyd351
03-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Go get the Mechanic in a Bottle....thread is on here. Definitely not endorsed by the real mechanics on here but I say it is better than sea foam.

I was wondering when the mechanic was going to get out of the bottle and make an appearance here :laugh:.

Restrorob
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/hmm.png . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/butbutbut.gif Mechanic in a shop is much much better !!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

dboyd351
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/hmm.png . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/butbutbut.gif Mechanic in a shop is much much better !!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

'Specially if it's you, slapper or dutch

piston slapper
03-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Probably cheaper in the longrun too.......
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Shade tree mechanic + Mechanic in a bottle = A lot of old equipment put back in service this year. It is like having a rabbit foot. New guys probably won't understand that at all.

cgaengineer
03-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Shade tree mechanic + Mechanic in a bottle = A lot of old equipment put back in service this year. It is like having a rabbit foot. New guys probably won't understand that at all.

The ole rabbit foot...I had one as a kid!
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
The ole rabbit foot...I had one as a kid!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what we need to do......Lets get rich......
" RABBITS FOOT IN A BOTTLE"
I want my 10 %...........:cool2:

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
IPA is an abbreviation for Isopropyl alcohol. That works great on absorbing water.

Naphtha is also in StarTron ethanol gas treatment.

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
IPA is an abbreviation for Isopropyl alcohol. That works great on absorbing water.

OK......We got the chemical makeup......
Now all we need is some of those bunny shaped bottles that kids shampoo comes in.

We're rollin now......I can see the money flowing our way......

Restrorob
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Now all we need is some of those bunny shaped bottles that kids shampoo comes in.

And.....For a promotional time only, Each bottle will have a REAL rabbit's foot key chain around it's neck !!! :clapping:

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
And.....For a promotional time only, Each bottle will have a REAL rabbit's foot key chain around it's neck !!! :clapping:

Dont forget the Playboy Bunnies signing bottles at the auto parts houses....
The Rabbits Foot in a Bottle calendars should be a real hit.....:waving:

We're getting closer......

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
This stuff is so good that your engine starts running better before you even pour it in the tank..
Its Amazing.....Just took an order for 50 cases and the product is still on the drawing board.

dboyd351
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
It will also rebuild your engine while you sleep at night!!!:clapping:

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
The only way to ensure this product will have the longevity to be a real moneymaker...... we will need a secret ingredient.....
I propose that we give it the codename......BS.........
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Just took an order for 50 cases and the product is still on the drawing board.

Make sure they add colored bottles and rabbit's feet !!!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Misc%202/RabbitsFeet.jpg

I propose that we give it the codename......BS.........

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/thinking.gif Bunny Sh!t ???

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 07:44 PM
How'd you know......
Time to start getting the greatest snakeoil ever to hit the market off the chalkboard and onto the shelves......
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-07-2012, 08:29 PM

I tried to tell them that...what's a .5% solution of oil, alcohol and naphtha going to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Horse piss cleans injectors...that could be the secret ingredient!
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
You may be on to something.....an ingredient without an exact chemical makeup could be just what it needs. The chinese chemists will have fits trying to copy it. Might even give it a unique color and odor that sets it apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
You may be on to something.....an ingredient without an exact chemical makeup could be just what it needs. The chinese chemists will have fits trying to copy it. Might even give it a unique color and odor that sets it apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

I honestly can't believe anyone would by Seafoam...a $10 placebo...I honestly think you could market a nice looking can full of mineral spirits and sell it for $10 as an engine cleaner...you just have to market it right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I honestly think you could market a nice looking can full of mineral spirits and sell it for $10 as an engine cleaner...

Ummm, Gumout has been do'n that for years with 60-70% m. spirits/kerosene in both their engine cleaners and carb-choke cleaners.....

piston slapper
03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
These snake oil threads always end up in the same place.....
I have one thing to add......

You people dat use da stuff are MORONs....enuf said

GlynnC
03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Horse piss cleans injectors...that could be the secret ingredient!
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, I couldn't piss (I mean pass) on this one--exactly how do you know about this--I've tried a lot of things over the years, but haven't even given a second thought to using the liquids a horse moved out of it's body???????:laugh::laugh:

cgaengineer
03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Okay, I couldn't piss (I mean pass) on this one--exactly how do you know about this--I've tried a lot of things over the years, but haven't even given a second thought to using the liquids a horse moved out of it's body???????:laugh::laugh:

Through many many years of r and d...I'm going to bottle it in a carbon fiber bottle and market it to the import tuning people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Through many many years of r and d...I'm going to bottle it in a carbon fiber bottle and market it to the import tuning people.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpmJm2_cwU

Here's your potential demographic.:usflag:

cgaengineer
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpmJm2_cwU

Here's your potential demographic.:usflag:

God god o' mighty! Looks like a skeeter fogger!

He needs my product!
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM

I guess that makes it a "green" enviromentally protective product...Should boost sales by 50%.

piston slapper
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Restrorob.....where's that dead horse you've been beatin??????
We may have another use for it.........

One more snakeoil thread and we may hook up with an international distributor and not have to bend these wrenches as hard.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Ah..... The other one got too flat so I got another ! http://www.iol.ie/~gtir/misc/violence/flogdeadhorse.gif

piston slapper
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
That's a nice one.....try to keep the flies off him long enough to sucker in another uninformed snakeoil wannabe......
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-08-2012, 08:27 PM
You guys are being rough on a product with an 80 year history. Back when 2 stroke oils weren't very sophisticated and being run at 16:1, carbon and mung buildup were a real problem. Outboards had water issues by nature. Ports have gotten a lot smaller on carbs as technology improves. I think modern fuel quality sucks as it just really hates to sit around for even a month without seperating and going stale. Is it a miracle product, no but it does have its uses. Just because a piece of equipment sees limited use it shouldn't take a rebuild to get it started and running normally.
As for animal fluid additives JD already has it covered. Deer pee is the secret oil additive that makes them run like a Deere and not void the warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Wow, apparently there are some "World's Greatest Mechanic" 's on here. One would think that once they have the worlds engine problems figured out for every piece of equipment in every location that they wouldn't have the time to sit on here and post constantly. Obviously there is a lot of time in between developing amazing products to post on here incessantly. I dont know everything so I try and learn from others. When I unilaterally say that someone else is wrong, please put me in my place so I can continue to learn and grow.

I am sure to get a lot of hate for this, but think about the point before you bring your hate

piston slapper
03-08-2012, 08:52 PM
There are no great mechanics....we were all just good enough today to be expected to show up tomorrow.

This thread is nothing more than a convenient way to blow off some steam.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you piston slapper. I am a firm believer in getting as much information as possible and sometimes the best information that you can get is what is the opposite of your stance. We cant be lemmings and follow each other blindly

Restrorob
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
When I unilaterally say that someone else is wrong, please put me in my place so I can continue to learn and grow.

No hate here !

But, My buddy SLAPPER.....He will be happy to help you grow.... :laugh:

If you look in the upper right of this post you see the date and post count, I can assure you that 8400 + of those are no nonsense strictly business replies and some very lengthy.

Maybe I'm about burned out in my ole age ? But as Slapper said about blowing off steam, It's nice to have a thread once in a while to "cut the fool" in and do just that.....

As for the amount of time spent on here, Don't know about Slapper but I'm not about to hold tools a FULL 8 hr day. I've got to have a break just like you mow'n guys do when traveling from job to job, But I can assure you once our season kicks in like your's we will be too swamped to chime in as much.

piston slapper
03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Thank you piston slapper. I am a firm believer in getting as much information as possible and sometimes the best information that you can get is what is the opposite of your stance. We cant be lemmings and follow each other blindly

Lemmings????????????
What the heck???????
Aint got time to look it up.

GoldenBoy.....You wont feel like thanking me very often....
You'll learn that I call them like I see them, and really don't concern myself
with how my answers are percieved..:nono:

If I wanted to make friemds.........I'd join a country club....
BTW....youre welcome.

piston slapper
03-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Goldenboy....don't take it personal.....I'm sure your intentions are right.
Its impossible to keep everyone happy... Its much easier to remain objective and focused on the subject by keeping it simple.
No matter how many things you fix or figure out...you ain't never gonna know it all. Of all the people I've met...the stupidest were the ones that knew it all. They we're also the most dangerous to work with , and around.

Do your best when you can.....question everything.....trust yourself....

One more snakeoil thread and we might get a piece of the big money....
Posted via Mobile Device

RickyDL77
03-10-2012, 08:37 AM
One more snakeoil thread and we might get a piece of the big money....
Posted via Mobile Device

they can not afford to give us any money, all the oil companies spending all the extra money on the politicians :usflag:

piston slapper
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM
they can not afford to give us any money, all the oil companies spending all the extra money on the politicians :usflag:

You figgered it out....every 4 years.....the politicians look the other way and let all the large corporations raise tons of money by putting the screws to us on everything from fuel to groceries. The new revenues are then funneled into campaign contributions.
Rabbits foot in a bottle will even fix the problems in politics....need to get this stuff on the shelves....working for a living gets to be like work.
Posted via Mobile Device