PDA

View Full Version : best dump trailer for the money?

zmowingmaster
02-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok guys,
I am in the market for a 5x10 dump trailer.I can't go any wider for storage reasons ,they don't make them any longer in the 5' wide segment.
I am planning on getting two 5k axles and putting on some extention walls to make the whole trailer 5'x10'x4'.so I can whole a min of 7 yards.
The question is will the hydro lift already installed still handle that much load even if i put on 8 yards.
And between Load trail,PJ and Brimar...which one would be a better selection for a $4000 +/-.
Thanks

appalachianoutdoors
02-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Bri Mar may make the trailer to custom specs if you call the factory and talk to someone. I am sure that they can upsize the cylinder for you also. Good luck with your decision. I have a Bri-Mar coming in this week, so my preference leans towards them. :usflag:

PlantscapeSolutions
02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
I have a 20' PJ dump trailer. It weighs 9000 lbs empty and is built as stout as they come. Seven yards of most material is probably not going to work in a trailer that small. The lift won't be able to handle it as well. Most soil & mulch type material will be a minimum 1000 lbs per yard. If your talking about yard trimmings then it should work just fine. I can haul 24 yards of trimmings in my trailer.

ParkWelding
02-20-2012, 09:29 AM
I bought Load Trail over PJ, Cam and BriMar. Liked the style of construction, ramp storage and the price. Can't beat the powdercoat finish too. I think PJ is powdercoated, but I don't think BriMar is.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Here is the link to the PJ website http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=D2. It's nice that you can rotate the trailer 360 and upside down online to look at it. PJ and Bigtex are the two largest makers trailers in the U.S. and like most large trailer companies they are based in the east Texas trailer triangle. There are probably more trailer companies based in east Texas then the rest of the U.S. combined.

Because of all the contractors, ranchers, and oil industry work here trailers places are like Chevy dealerships and they are every where. There are probably twenty places that sell trailers in a 50 mile radius of my house in the Austin area.

ParkWelding
02-20-2012, 08:37 PM
You're lucky to have a lot of choices for trailer dealers. Up here in NY there is only a few large dealers and most of them suck. You really have to know what you're buying to get a decent deal. The dealer I'm loyal to now does their own trucking and does a huge volume for the region they're in. The prices always are competitive with the best I can find online.

zak406
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
You're lucky to have a lot of choices for trailer dealers. Up here in NY there is only a few large dealers and most of them suck. You really have to know what you're buying to get a decent deal. The dealer I'm loyal to now does their own trucking and does a huge volume for the region they're in. The prices always are competitive with the best I can find online.

Not onyl that but they cost a ton litterally. Does any other company have fold down sides like pj does?

PlantscapeSolutions
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm originally from Maine and I know how few trailer places their are up north. Can't find a decent lobster here to save my azz but you can throw a rock and hit a dozen trailer joints. Buda only has about 5000 people but we have a Bigtex outlet ten minutes from my house. Ten minutes to the south we have a place called Elliots Trailer Sales that can build trailers to order and resells Top Hat and other brands.

Petr51488
02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I have 2 bri-mar dump trailers and have had zero issues with them. Ones a low profile, and the other is a heavy duty low profile. The non heavy duty one has done everything i've asked it to. Check to see if they have the same size cylinder on yours as they do on the 6x12 lp. If they do, you should have no problems. Like the other poster said, if its 7 yards of topsoil, i would be careful, but if its grass, mulch or other yard debris, no problem

Lawn Pawn
02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I have the PJ 5x10 dump, bought new last Fall. All I can say is for the money it is a heck of a fine trailer! Is it the best.... I think not.. but for the price point you cannot go wrong.

Lifts even slightly overloaded great... pulls empty and loaded great... welds and finish are good for the price.... wiring is acceptable.... you will not be disappointed.

It was on the lot for $3850.00 pre tax and license. Local dealer is bottom line for pricing and treats you good.

zmowingmaster
02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys.
Lawn Pawn- I like your trailer.will it fit 7-8 yards of mulch.I am thinking if i get one to make the inside at least 4 ft high

Lawn Pawn
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys.
Lawn Pawn- I like your trailer.will it fit 7-8 yards of mulch.I am thinking if i get one to make the inside at least 4 ft high

If ya do the math it's about six yards with these side boards.

zmowingmaster
02-22-2012, 11:58 AM
if I ended up getting a 5x10 then I'll make the inside walls a total of 4 feet
5'x10'x4/27=7.4 yards... which I should be in the safe zone loading up to 7 yards
something like the pic

zmowingmaster
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
here is what I am dealing with right now.so definitely I am getting a dump

Lawn Pawn
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
That's a fine looking trailer you purchased!

Boards on the gate will let you hump up more payload too.

Have the ramps... you should love it. Money well spent.

zmowingmaster
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
didn't buy it yet.just drooling :)...hopefully soon though

Lawn Pawn
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Not the first time I have misread a post... sorry.

All your picks look fine, it is hard to choose. Good chunk of change, and you hopefully will live with it a long time.

Petr51488
02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
You could just make the higher walls out of wood rather than spending the extra money on those metal walls.