PDA

View Full Version : Every Door Direct Mail ???

metro36
02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Has anyone used this service? I was playing with the web tool and I can target specific area's with the carrier routes. I estimate that I would have less than 5% waste within my 1500 piece mailing versus using a mailing list. Even if it was 10% waste there would still be a substantial savings over regular postage.

My question was does anyone know if they will accept a 5.5"x8.5" postcard? I have a design for one laid out already but I want to make sure because the guidelines are kinda unclear. If you used this program, what size did you mail? I don't really want to use anything larger as I feel more people would throw it out without reading. I am going to try to stop by the post office tomorrow but I was just seeing if anybody else had any info.

xclusive
02-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Has anyone used this service? I was playing with the web tool and I can target specific area's with the carrier routes. I estimate that I would have less than 5% waste within my 1500 piece mailing versus using a mailing list. Even if it was 10% waste there would still be a substantial savings over regular postage.

My question was does anyone know if they will accept a 5.5"x8.5" postcard? I have a design for one laid out already but I want to make sure because the guidelines are kinda unclear. If you used this program, what size did you mail? I don't really want to use anything larger as I feel more people would throw it out without reading. I am going to try to stop by the post office tomorrow but I was just seeing if anybody else had any info.

Their pdf download which is confusing says it has to be a minimum of 6 and 1/8" by 8.5"

metro36
02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I went to the post office and talked to the guy who handles bulk mail. He said that it has to be larger than either 6 1/8" wide or 11 1/2" long. So 6 1/2" x 8" postcards will be acceptable. We also went over the layout and made sure I had evetything right. All I had to do was resize the existing image and ordered them from got print.

Mahoney3223
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
which every door direct site were you on? the usps ?

xclusive
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes. I went on usps.

Mahoney3223
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
let me know how it works out 4 u

metro36
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I ordered 2500 of them from gotprint.com. They only cost me $190 for the postcards plus shipping. I plan on mailing out 1500 of them right away and I will send out the remainer to some of the same addresses mid april. I am hoping I will get about a 1% response rate from these but we will have to see. I will let everyone know how it works out.

xclusive
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I ordered 2500 of them from gotprint.com. They only cost me $190 for the postcards plus shipping. I plan on mailing out 1500 of them right away and I will send out the remainer to some of the same addresses mid april. I am hoping I will get about a 1% response rate from these but we will have to see. I will let everyone know how it works out.

I have 30k coming to me. We will see how it works out.

stevenf
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I also just got 2500 from Gotprint and will be sending out 2500 a month starting monday for the next 3 months.

stevenf
02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I just read looked on the site at the route choices and it gives you a cost for whatever route you pick and the number of houses in that route. You can't just choose your own mailout quantity?
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
No you have to provide them with enough pieces for each carrier route.

johndeereguy
02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I am trying this for the first time. I will be sending them out around April 1. We are ordering 3000 from Plan-it graphics. Hoping for a 1% return. We will see

stevenf
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Since we are all fairly new here I figured it is worth posting a question so everyone can have a reference later on.
On the EDDM web tool, when selecting the carrier routes, you have a choice for city, rural/hwy contracts, and po box.... What exactly is city and rural hwy contracts. City has far fewer routes.....

DUSTYCEDAR
02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
not a bad idea

v6rs97
02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
So 6x9 postcards work? You need to print that label and stamp on it?

metro36
02-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Since we are all fairly new here I figured it is worth posting a question so everyone can have a reference later on.
On the EDDM web tool, when selecting the carrier routes, you have a choice for city, rural/hwy contracts, and po box.... What exactly is city and rural hwy contracts. City has far fewer routes.....
City Routes are routes based out of larger post offices. They are usually in areas with a heavier concentration of people. Rural routes are out of smaller post offices in areas with a lower concentration of people. Rural routes usually cover a much larger area. You can use EDDM to target all types of routes as long as you provide them with enough pieces to hit the entire route.

So 6x9 postcards work? You need to print that label and stamp on it?
Your postcards have to be over 6.25" wide to qualify for eddm. 6" postcards would have to be mailed as letters. That is why I went with 6.5"x8" postcards.

metro36
02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
v6rs97 if you message me your email I will send you my postcard design so you can see the proper layout. There is no need to stamp or label. You just need to put in the eddm stamp/ icon thing in the upper right corner. Then put local postal customer where the label would go. Its on the website or I will show you mine.

Perfect Image TLM
02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
v6rs97 if you message me your email I will send you my postcard design so you can see the proper layout. There is no need to stamp or label. You just need to put in the eddm stamp/ icon thing in the upper right corner. Then put local postal customer where the label would go. Its on the website or I will show you mine.

Sent you a pm too if you don't mind emailing me the same.

sinoplawncare
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi metro36, would you mind sharing yours with me. I am looking into eddm also. Thanks
I will send a pm.

xclusive
03-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Metro did u send your postcards out yet. If so what kind of response you getting. I am sending mine out this week.

masonenterprises
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
No you have to provide them with enough pieces for each carrier route.

So does this eliminate a mailing list? Do I need to label these, or does the post office just give one to each customer on the route, like just adds it to there mail pile? thanks

xclusive
03-05-2012, 10:48 PM
So does this eliminate a mailing list? Do I need to label these, or does the post office just give one to each customer on the route, like just adds it to there mail pile? thanks

There's a whole bunch of guidelines on USPS.com. I would recommend going to the site to read all the requirements cause they have examples.

Grass887
03-06-2012, 10:14 AM
am I the only one that doesn't see a price anywhere? It has to be cheaper than 45c or whatever crazy rate first class is now right?

masonenterprises
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
its 14.5 cents, but like the poster before stated, has to fit within a size requirement, which is over 6 and 1/2 inches wide or 11 inches long.

Grass887
03-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I think mine are 5x7's, so that would work, right?

xclusive
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
I think mine are 5x7's, so that would work, right?

No that will not work. If you read the pdf file it will tell you the size requirements.

metro36
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Update: I recieved my order from got print. I was very impressed. Fast turn around, excellent quality, and the pricing cant be beat. I have mine all counted out, bundled up, ready to go. I am going to drop the first 1500 off on thursday or friday so I will let you know how everything goes and what kind of response I get.

xclusive
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Update: I recieved my order from got print. I was very impressed. Fast turn around, excellent quality, and the pricing cant be beat. I have mine all counted out, bundled up, ready to go. I am going to drop the first 1500 off on thursday or friday so I will let you know how everything goes and what kind of response I get.

I packaged 20k up and that was a hassle. Putting everything in 50 pack bundles then the paperwork needed for each bundle and route was a pain.

srl28
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
What kind of response did you get xclusive??

Mahoney3223
03-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Did you get them to print the indicia and label and all that?

metro36
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Did you get them to print the indicia and label and all that?

Yup I just included it in the design I sent them. Came to me all ready to mail out.

ETM
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Did you go with 6.5x8? I didn't see that option on there website

xclusive
03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Did you go with 6.5x8? I didn't see that option on there website

They have it listed as a 8 x 6.5

bcg
03-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I am trying this for the first time. I will be sending them out around April 1. We are ordering 3000 from Plan-it graphics. Hoping for a 1% return. We will see

With direct mail, you're going to be seeing response rates more like .2% - .5%. I mail close to 100k cards a year and have never seen a response rate (meaning signed up customers) about .6% and that one just happened to be timed perfectly.

Repetition is critical in direct mail, response rates tend to increase for the 2nd and 3rd mailings (within 2 - 3 weeks of each other) and then fall back off.

Mahoney3223
03-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm mailing out around 20k but it's going to be throughout the Spring. We're going to hit my hometown 2k in a week, then repeat in 2 weeks etc.

curtislawncare
04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Repetition is critical in direct mail, response rates tend to increase for the 2nd and 3rd mailings (within 2 - 3 weeks of each other) and then fall back off.

I agree. It's better to mail to a smaller target multiple times than to mail to a larger target fewer times.

People are more likely to view more favorable a brand they've seen more often and are more familiar with.

People are more likely to remember shorter messages over a longer period of time than they are to remember longer messages over a shorter time.

It's unlikely that your message will reach the customer exactly when they need your service. Multiple postings to a smaller audience more frequently improves the chances that your message will be seen at the right moment.

I think it just makes more sense to concentrate on a smaller audience than to target a too large audience.

flydelsolsi
04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
If you have the time, and don't mind spending a little more money, multiple small mailings are the way to go. Don't have to worry about being swamped with work all at one time either. www.taradel.com/eddm is a good place to get work done was well.

metro36
04-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Well the first round of 1300 got me 5 calls. It led to 1 cleanup, 2 bids for weelky maintenance, and one bid on a 10k+ landscaping job.

I got the cleanup and 1 of the lawns. The other had somebody who doesnt pay taxes doing it and said they would continue. I still working on the big job. The people were a bit sitcker shocked but still interested.

Round 2 goes out monday or tuesday.

Perfect Image TLM
04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the update Metro36!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wiedmann
04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
I sent out 10,000 total pieces of paper in (2) 5,000 mailings. I would say i got a total of 30 calls off the whole deal. Most were for spraying or mulch/ clean ups when I targeted mowing. Not saying it was a bad deal but I was really thinking I would receive more calls. I think a few things led to lower numbers. First, the spring came so quick this year it was on us before you knew it and my flyers went out the week we started mowing so people might of already had called a company a week prior to me sending my flyers out and second, it seems more and more are mowing their own yards.

The things I learned about it was I can get the work if I lower my prices some for spraying and such. On the opposite side of it is I can charge a little more for my mulching. I don't think it was a waste because now 5,000 houses seen my name two times. It's all about building recognition for a new business as I am only in year 2 of business.

One thing to consider is call your post office you plan on using. Ask if they accept larger amounts of bundles besides 50 pieces. I had one of the post offices I used call me and ask for my input on how things when and she said they actually accept bundles of 100 and sometimes even bigger if you make arrangements with the office. This would help from having to make so many pointless 50 piece bundles.

xclusive
05-12-2012, 05:49 PM
So here is an update. I ended up mailing out 21k. I got about 60 calls and of those I closed about 20 new full maintenance clients. Now I know I was def not the cheapest contractor as potential clients told me so. The 21k went out over a 4 day period and I only sent it to all houses 1 time. Many people said they recognized the name cause they see my truck and trailer which are both lettered up.

Bunton Guy
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Im getting ready to do the same thing. How do you go about isolating a carrier route to utilize the post cards the best? Where I service there is a lot of appartment complexes...I would hate to gobble up thousands of post cards with useless appartments.

willretire@40
09-20-2012, 12:08 AM
So here is an update. I ended up mailing out 21k. I got about 60 calls and of those I closed about 20 new full maintenance clients. Now I know I was def not the cheapest contractor as potential clients told me so. The 21k went out over a 4 day period and I only sent it to all houses 1 time. Many people said they recognized the name cause they see my truck and trailer which are both lettered up.

Do you have anymore updates?

ryde307
09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Has anyone used this for something besides mowing? also interested in more updates

RSK Property Maintenance
09-23-2012, 02:14 AM
yes i used it for all of my services, I sent out 2300 flyers and i landed a decent little tree job for 2200 which took about 6hrs on the job, and before that, a few houses down it landed me a larger shrub pruning and mulching job, which was over 3,200 the pruning and mulching job will hopefully be a repeat customer, as he was very happy with how everything came out but time will tell. i also got a weekly mowing customer, which i will most likely do a fall clean up for this year and, a spring clean up next year, they should be a long term customer, so that makes it worth while, probably use me for plowing too.

ryde307
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
yes i used it for all of my services, I sent out 2300 flyers and i landed a decent little tree job for 2200 which took about 6hrs on the job, and before that, a few houses down it landed me a larger shrub pruning and mulching job, which was over 3,200 the pruning and mulching job will hopefully be a repeat customer, as he was very happy with how everything came out but time will tell. i also got a weekly mowing customer, which i will most likely do a fall clean up for this year and, a spring clean up next year, they should be a long term customer, so that makes it worth while, probably use me for plowing too.

Good info.
Also wondering more about irrigation services.
Fert and other more specific items. Instead of here is our company we do all of this wondering if a more focused ad would help results.

grandview (2006)
09-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Good info.
Fert and other more specific items. Instead of here is our company we do all of this wondering if a more focused ad would help results.

I did the EDDM in the spring and picked up some work and I will do it again the spring. If your doing a fert and squirt now and mid winter might be helpful because a lot of companies start to send out the renewal so you need to get out too.

jequigle
11-19-2012, 03:03 PM
So is EDDM worth the money or do you think you'd get a better response with buying a mailing list more personalized? I am looking to send out 5,000 EDDM and was hoping to get at least a 1% back from them.

grandview (2006)
11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
It was worth it to me. Timing is the important part of it.

KrayzKajun
11-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I plan to give eddm a try ths spring to break into a new city tht is 45mins away that im moving too at the end of next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

kyles landscape
12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
i was thinking about doing this or possibly me and my employees for about a week walk and handout them personally were we want and save the money of paying the post office.....think its worth it or should i just let the mail guys do it ??

ef200098
12-20-2012, 08:39 PM
We've tried having employees do it before and it just flat out doesn't work. It will end up costing you more because of the breaks that they want to take. The ones that they dump down the sewer etc. Its happened on EVERY campaign we've ever done. With EDDM you know for certain that the potential customer is getting your flyer.

Mike

ryan41
12-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Contact Bob at http://www.plan-itgraphics.com/ . He is great at making postcards and can answer any questions you have on the USPS direct mail. He also has great prices for all of his marketing material.

JContracting
01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Good info.

I'm going to have one side focus on full service maintenance contracts but state that "ala cart services available" and the other side to focus on design/builds of hard/softscapes.

Bob at Plan-It does exceptional work. He's done fall services doorhangers ('12s featured snow also, '11 didnt) it yielded NOTHING! I think the timing may have been bad or people in the neighborhoods I hit don't care about fall, not sure. But that doesn't take anything away from his work quality, it's pretty damn good. Higher price but his design is second to none. I'll most likely have him design, and I may go with someone different for printing.

Metro36, so you basically bring them printed to the post office?

xclusive
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Metro36, so you basically bring them printed to the post office?

No there is a lot more prep work you have to do before you can drop it off at the post office. You can get more info about the hole process on their website.

M RASCOE&SONS
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
lets hear the best results of eddm by the numbers sent out.im looking to do 3 seperate mailings in my home town starting the first wk of feb and then march and lastly april.my brand is out there so my focus is push maintenance to the customers.

lawn_jockey
01-04-2013, 11:11 PM
I did this with 20,000 post cards and screwed it up with a confusing offer and only landed 3 customers. My fault.

But I want Ed to let you know about a service called catchall mail services in Lewisville texas. They will bundle everything for you and set up all the postal routes for you for dirt cheap.

Honestly I can't remember the rates right now. But when I used them last year I though it was a heck of a deal.

cpllawncare
01-06-2013, 02:55 AM
If you want to have zero waste, go to your city tax website and create your own mailing list, you can pull up address by specific neighborhoods copy and paste into an excel spreadsheet and wahla there's your mailing list. Carrier routes are the next best thing but there is some waste there.