PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Landscape Architects To Count

paul
08-07-2000, 09:47 PM
Seems that the new breed of L.A. haven't been taught to count plants. I've been giving them lessons on adding and subtracting, but they just can't seem to get it.

I think it must because they are too busy using their computers to play games.

Guido
08-07-2000, 09:55 PM
Paul, Whats the story behind this one??

paul
08-07-2000, 10:50 PM
Seems a young LA drew a set of plans and forgot the match lines, extend plantings from one plan to next but double listed plants, so bid sheet says order this many plants we did, found out that we have about 250 more plants on site than can fit on site. have big meeting with park district and LA, they say overage of plants is my fault I say it's theirs, have papers to back up order and bid sheet:) .

So they draw up change order #15 and and ask for more plantings on different area, changing some planting to use up first mistake, we get change order with adds and subtracts, OK order plants and start installing them, wel by 10 am radio is going off about too many plants on site again, ok I go to site and check out plans sure enough he has deleted plants on plan but no on change order! So now have about 500 ground covers and another 500 gallon plants that i now must find homes for.

Meeting with LA tomorrow!

little green guy
08-08-2000, 12:52 AM
That sux

Guido
08-08-2000, 01:18 AM
Man, thats tough!! Good Luck Paul, I'm sure you'll come out on top, but let us know what happens after your meeting@!!

steveair
08-08-2000, 06:59 AM
I'll make you an offer on those plants.....

This is funny, considering this is the for the park dept. Our hard earned tax dollars being spent wisely..........

Guido
08-08-2000, 09:49 AM
Steve, you want to talk about wasting tax payers money!!!...................... I watch thousands go down the tube every day!!!

paul
08-09-2000, 11:43 PM
Went out and got a third grade math book for the L.A., Wraped it up and gave it to him as a gift.
Meeting went fine and we extended the the plantings into another area, L.A. said at meeting that plan and bid sheet were wrong so we all just smiled and he ok'd the work as being done.

Steveair; Don't think that you would want these plants, most of them are grasses and weeds. Not what you would put next to some of the homes that you do. :)

For me glad this one is done, hate those young L.A. they need about 20 years on them before they know what is happening.

Guido, they can waste money with the best of them, four days work for $60k

pete
08-10-2000, 12:01 AM
Im three years into my civil engineering degree at Virginia Tech ( Go Hokies!!!) and I have dealt with a lot of architects and architecture students, most of them are compleatly out of it. I interned for a General Contractor this summer and we put out a set of plans for bid for this office building ( 7 stories). The questions that came back from subs were as thick as the specs for the job. This architect would have walls that were called to be 3" on one sheet 5" on another and then in the details the wall was showing 8". According to the skylight guys the skylight was impossible to build, and if you could it would leak like a sive (sp?) Anyways the one thing i have learned for sure is that architects are not on the ball. sorry to rant.