PDA

View Full Version : Best Impluse Sprinklers to Buy?!

lawnlandscape
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey guys.

My company does a lot of lawn installs where we set up sprinklers on timers for 3-4 weeks after install.

In the past years I have had extremely bad luck with the Impulse sprinklers not working right. I constantly get calls from customers saying they are not functioning right, or no one notices and they end up getting stuck in one spot so I have wash out in some spots and seeded areas that die and need to be redone in other spots that were not getting watered

I have tried a few different types, but have not found anything I can rely on.

Has anyone found a impulse sprinkler make and model that you can rely on without having to go physically to each property everyday to check if they are working properly?

Thanks! :)

Dr.NewEarth
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Perhaps the irrigation forum can help you better?

32vld
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
If you have a wholesaler that is worth anything he should stock different grades of parts.

Along with the knowledge of which brands are made the best and have the least problems.

Then he should be able to steer you to using quality materials for your jobs.

Now if your supplier can't do this then time for another supplier.

Or if you are selling your jobs based on using the cheapest materials so you can offer the lowest estimates then you have to decide to charge more or put up with call backs.

lawnlandscape
02-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Perhaps the irrigation forum can help you better?

When I think of 'irrigation' I think of more in-ground systems.

Because this is a temporary system, I feel its more maintaining a landscape.

lawnlandscape
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
If you have a wholesaler that is worth anything he should stock different grades of parts.

Along with the knowledge of which brands are made the best and have the least problems.

Then he should be able to steer you to using quality materials for your jobs.

Now if your supplier can't do this then time for another supplier.

Or if you are selling your jobs based on using the cheapest materials so you can offer the lowest estimates then you have to decide to charge more or put up with call backs.

Wow... why do you attempt to be so harsh? :hammerhead:

1) My company does not deal with any suppliers that sell sprinklers. We are a landscape/lawn care/snow removal company.

2) What does selling stuff have anything to do with sprinklers? These are not sprinklers I am selling to the customers... they are my own, that are on the customers property while they are needed, then brought back to our shop, to be used the next time. So I am obviously looking for a quality product. I have tried all different types, cheap plastic ones that cost $3 each, and nice looking metal ones that cost $15 each.... and to be honest the cheapest ones have worked the best.. but are still very problematic.

headz77
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
At Home Depot you can buy just the spike base for sprinklers. Then you can buy a Rainbird or Hunter head (rotor, popup, your preference) and mount it on top. Bam- you have a high quality temporary sprinkler.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow... why do you attempt to be so harsh? :hammerhead:

1) My company does not deal with any suppliers that sell sprinklers. We are a landscape/lawn care/snow removal company.

2) What does selling stuff have anything to do with sprinklers? These are not sprinklers I am selling to the customers... they are my own, that are on the customers property while they are needed, then brought back to our shop, to be used the next time. So I am obviously looking for a quality product. I have tried all different types, cheap plastic ones that cost $3 each, and nice looking metal ones that cost $15 each.... and to be honest the cheapest ones have worked the best.. but are still very problematic.

So you are using stuff that is yours to be moved from job to job.

You still need a supplier that has good stuff, knows the brands to recommed. If not then you still need a new supplier. Sounds as if you by stuff from Home Cheapo and expect quality.

Now I don't do anything with sprinklers but I googled and found "...like the high end Hunter products. Some like Rainbird and Toro to..."

Yes it's nice when headz77 comes along and shares his knowledge. But sometimes all some has to share is where you are not doing your due diligence.

headz77
02-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Actually, Home Depot now carries quality Rainbird, Toro, and Hunter products. Using those heads with the sprinkler spike is just something I improvised to solve a similar problem. I have a great supplier but he would not have been any help with this. It seems this is a perfect question for LawnSite...
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Hey guys.

My company does a lot of lawn installs where we set up sprinklers on timers for 3-4 weeks after install.

In the past years I have had extremely bad luck with the Impulse sprinklers not working right. I constantly get calls from customers saying they are not functioning right, or no one notices and they end up getting stuck in one spot so I have wash out in some spots and seeded areas that die and need to be redone in other spots that were not getting watered

I have tried a few different types, but have not found anything I can rely on.

Has anyone found a impulse sprinkler make and model that you can rely on without having to go physically to each property everyday to check if they are working properly?

Thanks! :)

None. I have had bad experiences with impulse sprinklers used on temporary irrigation set up on PVC lines. My first choice is MP Rotators on spike or skid bases, followed by Rainbird 5000 series rotors. My biggest issue is non matching precipitation rates and how many moving parts are out in the open for someone to tamper with or break. MP Rotators will run on low water volume, meaning you can operate several at once off of a hose bib. The Rainbird 5000 rotors are good if the water is supplied by a fire hydrant or well with a big pump.

betmr
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I just inform the customer to keep it damp, till good germination. By hand with a decent fan nozzle on the hose....You don't really think you should be using up your time watering every lawn you install??? There are too many variables involved with portable sprinklers, to get involved with that. Just for grins....you don't have to fetch their slippers for them do Ya?:)

PS: do you get paid each time you have to go back and reset them? Tell the customer to get a sprinkler, and move it around....If you worry about this, you'll go broke. And besides, that makes you responsible for any failure. You do the install, They take care of the watering. Always been that way, in my life.