PDA

View Full Version : Got a call to Resod a Baseball field Today Experiece????

shelbymustang616
02-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Well to start, I went out to look at one of the areas top competing highschools varsity baseball field. They are not happy with how their filed compares to local highschools asthetically and functionablity. They went the intire infield replace with new sod as well as both first and third base foul lines. The infiled is 6400 of sod and both foul lines total 5000 sqft. I have done front yards before but nothing this size. Any experience or help in pricing.

Five Points
02-24-2012, 07:18 AM
I do about 10 to 15 thousand rolls per yr on new homes. 10 sq ft per roll. I pay about 1.65 per roll. Thats sod delivery and tax. I charge 3.50 a roll installed. That includes all prep work, sod and labour.

I think I count each man can do thirty rolls per hr. Thats from start to finish. seems low but thats includes prep time, and I may not hardly lay any. I keep busy on the tractor and rake. Plus somone else is usually cutting in edges or rolling or putting water on it.

If its a big area and easy to lay you could go less maybe. I find if its easy laying something else could be harder like the prep. So I rarely lower the price. Don't be afraid to bring in extra help as I find with sod there is strength in numbers. Get the prep wrk done with a few guys, then bring in the calvary and go to town.

I do very well at sod. Its hard work but worth it.hope that helps

shelbymustang616
02-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey thanks for the input. I have been getting away with 1.00 per sq ft. and it has been paying off. I figure it gonna cost about 14400 to do the job. Ill have 2-3 guys doing prep throw old sod in a dumpster and get some top soil delivered. Hire 10-12 guys for the day and get it all layed. sod goes down quick in numbers no doubt. Unfortunately the field is down a hill so it will be fun pushing wheel barrows full of junk sod back up the hill.

uniquechev
02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
What size are you bidding on to lay down for the size of the rolls ? I used a company before where they roll it out with the mofit and its done quick the the rolls are huge and it goes down quick!!! Look into your options before you open your estimate to the school.

uniquechev
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
And another thing with using the big rolls where they roll it out it is on a ball field so less little pieces the less chance of the players tearing it up depending on when they plan on using the field. It'll take 2 guys plus the one guy from thier company to roll it out ! Saves hiring guys for one day and all the lazy guys that dont give a damn about what they are doing if you have that many guys come in more likely to slack off with talking and what not. cut down the cost spend and increase profit and work load

shelbymustang616
02-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Yea the big roll side would be great and be a migrane save but Ive looked in my area and couldnt find anyone that does it near me. Just gonna have to hire some man power.