PDA

View Full Version : Gas Can Lids - Driving me to insanity -Can I buy Bulk??

keepoffthegrass
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Anyone that has employees know what im talking about.

Even with bulk tanks on site, we still have a fleet of about 14 jerry cans.

We use the WEDCO style cans pictured below. We get them for $9.99 for 5g and $6.99 for 2.5g ones.

My employees manage to loose the sealing piece, break the spout, break the caps and break the bleeder caps and loos those too. EVERY DAY! MULTIPLE! :hammerhead:

Ranting and bitching and educating does not work. :nono:

The replacement from the depot cost $5.99 which is over half the cost of the complete can. :dizzy:

Anyone know if these lids,caps and spouts can be bought in bulk? My research showed nothing so far.

Fireguy97
02-23-2012, 02:20 AM
We use the WEDCO style cans pictured below. We get them for $9.99 for 5g and $6.99 for 2.5g ones.

My employees manage to loose the sealing piece, break the spout, break the caps and break the bleeder caps and loos those too. EVERY DAY! MULTIPLE! :hammerhead:

Ranting and bitching and educating does not work. :nono:]

I used to give my guys a bonus when they didn't loose the caps and screw up like that. If they are that irrisponsible with things like that, what are they doing with the things that I don't see. Their bonus was that they got to keep their jobs.

I keep a stack of McDonalds application forms on my dashboard.

The replacement from the depot cost $5.99 which is over half the cost of the complete can. :dizzy:

Anyone know if these lids,caps and spouts can be bought in bulk? My research showed nothing so far.

$1.29 at Home Hardware.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Sporting-Goods/Summer-Sports/Boating/Gas-Tanks/STOPPER-GAS-CAN-JERRY/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I6617146?Ntt=Gas+Can+Caps

Mick

Restrorob
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I like Fireguy97's response..... :clapping:

I tell the guys after a couple times of screw-ups, if it happens again I'm passing the collection plate around and it's coming out of THEIR pocket. That normally solves repeated issues.....

fixer67
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
In the US you can not get the old pour spout type any more. All they sell now thanks to the EPA is a spring loaded spout that takes 3 hands to use.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/ef2g.html

They do not allow the can to breathe so it will not vent gas fumes. Thanks to the EPA it is hard to buy a good gas can in the US now.

Moose's Mowing
02-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I HATE those CARB spouts....or whatever they call them. They make me feel stupid when I use them.....damn it.

maybe some of you Canadians could buy a few boxes of the spouts, mark them up 500% and ship them to us Yankees in the States. I'd buy them if I could find them

:usflag:

PROCUT1
02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
The funny thing with the new cans. All i ever see guys doing (myself included) is spilling gas all over the dam place with them. Trying to hold back the spring and fill a weedwhacker tiny gas tank.

We spill 10 times the gas now than we ever did before.

Stupid cans.

Restrorob
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Just wait till you have to pull your vehicle into a special enclosure to gas up then have to wait till all the fumes are vacuumed out before exiting.... :dizzy:

jvanvliet
02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I like Fireguy97's response..... :clapping:

I tell the guys after a couple times of screw-ups, if it happens again I'm passing the collection plate around and it's coming out of THEIR pocket. That normally solves repeated issues.....

I'm with Fireguy and you; charge them for lost or broken equipment (excludes wear and tear).

Pressedun
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.monkeydish.com/advice-guy/it-legal-charge-staff-their-mistakes

You cannot charge your employees for mistakes, it's simply a sunken cost for you.

Give a bonus if they don't break anything, that's bout the best you can do.

mwwyne
03-06-2012, 06:57 AM
The funny thing with the new cans. All i ever see guys doing (myself included) is spilling gas all over the dam place with them. Trying to hold back the spring and fill a weedwhacker tiny gas tank.

We spill 10 times the gas now than we ever did before.

Stupid cans.
heres a site that sells non carb spouts www.ezpourspouts.com

mwwyne
03-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Anyone that has employees know what im talking about.

Even with bulk tanks on site, we still have a fleet of about 14 jerry cans.

Ranting and bitching and educating does not work. :nono:

www.ezpourspouts.com

mwwyne
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
I HATE those CARB spouts....or whatever they call them. They make me feel stupid when I use them.....damn it.

maybe some of you Canadians could buy a few boxes of the spouts, mark them up 500% and ship them to us Yankees in the States. I'd buy them if I could find them

:usflag:
Try www.ezpourspouts.com, they work great and have the replaceable vent included

mwwyne
03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Sorry, wrong spelling on site it should be WWW.EZPOURSPOUT.COM

hdtvluvr
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Can you get the vents separately?

scholzee
03-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Have'nt tried talking to them but I do not think they will ship or sell to me in NY.

NOT FOR SALE OR USE IN CA, CT, DC, DE, ME, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, and VA

csi-mo
04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
try these you can fix your old cans and even new ones

www.ezpourspout.com

csi-mo
04-19-2012, 12:00 AM
try their water spout, they can ship anywhere

JABBERS
04-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I have one "NO SPILL GAS CAN" Im trying out since last july. Real nice push button and a bigger mouth so you can fill up fast. Ive been told by several people you can call them if you have a problem and they will send you a new one.
Im getting a couple more this year real expensive thou I paid $34 but you can get them right under $30

herler
04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
In the US you can not get the old pour spout type any more. All they sell now thanks to the EPA is a spring loaded spout that takes 3 hands to use.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/ef2g.html

They do not allow the can to breathe so it will not vent gas fumes. Thanks to the EPA it is hard to buy a good gas can in the US now.

The EPA is not who is ultimately responsible for what happened, they merely enforce the regulation but to find out what really happened you'll want to look deeper into it, in the direction of who passed it and why, you might be surprised to find out as I did that I think ultimately it's the American public who is responsible for this delightful piece of gasoline can regulation.

It is the public who, when someone would get hurt with a gas can, they would sue the manufacturer.
Just like childproof lighters, I don't necessarily believe for one minute that it was children who started that mess.
It is the public who, no matter what the manufacturer did to say they could not make a "safe" device that contains an explosive liquid, would not bend to reason but instead kept suing and taking money out of the manufacturer's pockets. Many a gasoline can manufacturer went out of business because of the lawsuits, like cigarettes but on a much smaller scale, the difference being that gasoline cans are not addictive and are not pushed on people like a drug, gasoline cans are something we need but the people who would get hurt while using these cans didn't see things that way, and they would sue, time after time.
The regulation is what happened one day, it is someone's answer to the lawsuits and whether it stops the suits I couldn't tell you although it may have been meant that way, but it sure makes for a nice middle finger salute in return, wouldn't we all have to agree?

tm14930
04-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I have a work around for these caps. Go to the big box plumbing aisle and get the adapter that will slide over and be glued to the nozzle end and be threaded on the other end. Add a threaded cap to the other end. Probably cost .75 cents for the fix if you have the glue. Attach a guard dog and problem solved!

fixer67
04-20-2012, 10:27 PM
herler, have you ever heard about the big Toro lawsuit that started it all?
I thought was a joke but a Toro rep at an update school said it was true.

Bashby
04-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Anyone ever use race gas cans? They are supposed to only be used at closed events so don't have the government regulations.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQZU8N33TlsSefOpI1SJ34PUMbwH7pWCPSDkG9Q8au1HmOzuQX
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI8ssy-o-rlNV8_tvJz9guYuCM9sqaK-7PEJOVdF2estn2AUWP

jetta
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
get a tire valve and drill a 1/2 in hole in the vent area snap it in place cap it and you have a capped vent