PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Grasshopper 721D out of long term storage

Polymower
02-23-2012, 07:42 AM
I just purchased a 2006 Grasshopper 721D. It has low hours and has not been ran in a few years. I believe it has the 20 hp Kubota (722)? What should I do before attempting to start it up? I am planning on draining and refilling the diesel tank. I was thinking I should also replace the fuel filter. I know I will be buying a new battery. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

bob
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd also change the engine oil & filter. Hit the grease fittings. There's probably 10 fittings. The tyres could have a flat spot if they were sitting too long. How many hours are on the machine? Also ,post the serial number (its under the seat, near the fuses). This will tell you the exact year of the machine.

fixer67
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Check all wiring and hoses and belts. If mice have got to the wiring you could end up with a fire. I have seen it happen. Hoses and belt dry rot over time. Get flashlight and mirror and go over it from end to end every inch before tring to start it. The time spent will be nothing compared to something like a fire.

Polymower
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I am driving 5 hours tommorrow to pick it up. Will it fit in an 8' pickup bed if I remove the deck?

bob
02-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I am driving 5 hours tommorrow to pick it up. Will it fit in an 8' pickup bed if I remove the deck?

It should. The length is 67". The wheel base is 49.5" wide. Then you'll have to figue out where to stick the deck. A 61" deck weighs over 400lbs. Its not easy to move around.

Polymower
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks Bob. I did not realize that deck weighed that much. I will take my trailer. BTW it has less than 500 hrs. I'm sure I will have more questions...

mallio
02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Was it stored inside a metal building? I have seen diesels stored in sheds have problems with the fuel lines. I would remove the fuel lines and blow them out and then try and start it up after close inspection. If you start it up with dirty lines you will plug the injectors.

Polymower
02-25-2012, 11:49 AM
I picked up the mower. It was stored in a steel building/shop. It did not get used last year due to drought but was used the year before. It is a 721D H2 with a 61" duramax deck. serial #561xxxx. It is clean and in very good condition. I will take the advice given and drain the diesel, clear the fuel lines,change the oil and filter. I will also check for critters in the electrical. Then I will attach a battery and crank it up. Thanks for the replys.

bob
02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Sound good. Post a picture. The serial number you posted confirms its a 2006. Also, fuel line is cheap. I'd just replace it , instead of trying to clean it.

Polymower
02-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Today I changed the engine oil and filter, changed the in-line fuel filter and the fuel filter on the engine. I also replaced the air cleaner. I installed a new battery. I decided to try to start it. It turned over then started running and died. I turned over the engine to fill the filters with diesel. Then I cracked the injectors to bleed the air. It cranked up and ran great. I put the mower on it and it mows great with power to spare. This week I plan to replace the belts, hoses and fuel lines. I will post a pick when I can. Thanks for the reply's.

mallio
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
4 or more seasons ago i had customers who went diesel on some of their mowers, must have worked out well for them since everthing they bought since was diesel if they could get it. They also tried some fuel injected kaws and the diesel still uses 1/3 less fuel all season long.