PDA

View Full Version : Sod install - need some in put

StBalor
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
6000 sq. Ft. remove exsisting and lay new sod.
Tell me what you think. Is pricing in the ball park?

plan of attack:

Day 1
till entire 6000 sq. Ft. rake out all exsisting grass.
Spread 1" of compost per customers request.
spread starter fertilizer and lime per customers request.
till again and level out

Day 2
finish up leveling lawn
Lay sod

Useing 5 guys can this be done in 2 10 hr. days

also my pricing

Material - 3680.00
labor - 4500.00
Buisiness mark-up 1227.00
total = 9,407.00 or roughly 1.57 a sq. Ft.

RigglePLC
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I think it is best to correct whatever problem caused the condition. Shade? Disease? Weeds? Grubs? drought? Wrong grass type? Difficult weeds or quackgrass? Neglect?

I suggest kill first, then remove old sod with sod cutter and haul away. (kill first optional.) Add compost and starter fert; till in. Level carefully. Lay sod. Water.

What type of grass goes out? What type goes in? Irrigation? Shade?

StBalor
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I assume your spreading lime based on a soil test indication?:usflag:

StBalor
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I was basically looking for input on my time and price.

Backyard had a lot of shade but the customer recently took out a lot of trees.
Lawn was bare due to excessive shade.
front yard has a lot of weeds and will be killed off before tilling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Time is high IF you have no problems. A backyard formerly filled with roots may be a tilling workout. So is the 1200+/- your profit? If so your about right. 5 guys can lay 6k in no time so the second day might be a short one. With tilling you have far less to rake up than using a sod cutter.:usflag:

Smallaxe
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I would consider what Patriot is saying... I personally would plan on day 1 and day 2 be involved with preparation, especially the tilling.
Yes, a 5 man crew that is good for anything can put down 6k of sod in one day... but Tilling and levelling at the same time is an inefficient waste of time and manpower...

You are talking about real money for this guy, don't make him regret doing business with you becuz you had a mission to do it in 2 days... Running 2 tillers(with maybe 3 guys) and if everything goes OK, maybe 1 day, but I always leave myself a buffer, and expect to run over new ground at least 3 times, b4 putting down the compost for a final run...

StBalor
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I guess i was just wondering if my price of 1.57 per sq. Ft. Was fair.
I understand what you are saying about making sure all the prep work is done correctly before laying the sod.
Believe me, i am my worst critic.
Posted via Mobile Device

StBalor
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I did not get the job. The customer said price was to high. I thought the price sounded fair for the prep and sod. But i guess not.

Patriot Services
02-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't feel bad. I get beat up on price sometimes by the local sod hacks. The customer usually figures it out a few weeks later. By then the crap, dead, stolen, weed infested, el cheapo cash job is long gone. CL has a plethora of these outfits to choose from. You'll get the next one.:usflag:

RigglePLC
02-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Did you find out what he paid? What steps they skipped?
I don't understand your labor cost.
5 guys at $20 per hour is $100 per hour. Two days is 16 hours. So labor should be $1600.

Some sod farms will lay "big roll" sod rather quickly. And some of them speak English.

Experience counts. Do some more research and ask around.
According to this site the cost should be about half what you proposed.
http://www.sodding.com/cost/index.html

I think around here hydroseeding costs about ten cents per sqft.