PDA

View Full Version : rose bushes as a theft deterent

tailboardtech
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I just got a call from one of my regulars to plant 23 rose bushes under every window at her house. She's been broken into 2 times since october and her insuance company is paying for it never heard that one before.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Interesting. I know I've got one rose that's just awful nasty when it comes to thorns, and a few that barely have thorns at all.
The birds nest in the thorny one was well protected from the neighborhood cats.

dKoester
02-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Chinese hollies. Ouch!

Smallaxe
02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Have roses in the center for flowers with a perimeter of barberry for seasonal foliage interest...
Finally, a purpose for barberry...

Then a barbwire eletric fence coiled around that... :)

integrityman
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Have roses in the center for flowers with a perimeter of barberry for seasonal foliage interest...

Great idea. Guys in my area sooooo overuse barberry it drives me nuts. Its good for dry spots though.

I like the idea thoough. In fact this thought has occurred to me before....To keep my kids from sneaking out!

Patriot Services
02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Down here it's Bougainvillea's. They will tear a sweatshirt just walking by them.:usflag:

jsslawncare
02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I had the same thought, around heatpump.

classy
02-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Makes sense, it is extremely common to integrate landscaping with building security. What I find interesting is 2 things, 1) insurance is financing it 2) they chose Roses instead of Holly.

I read "somewhere" that you have a chance of lowering your insurance premiums if you have holly planted under all of your windows. (Troll Notice: don't waste your time picking at my "somewhere", I will without doubt never answer you). So for some of the newer guys, this is a huge selling point for shrub/bush installations, and it holds water.

White Gardens
02-25-2012, 01:40 AM

The Barberry was my first inclination also. Thumbs Up

I had a client that was looking for a living fence to keep the dogs and kids in their yard and barberry's were my first choice. But, I couldn't consciously do it as I'd feel horrible if one of the kids got a nasty infection from a barberry thorn.

Those suckers are worse than Roses as far as I'm concerned. Any thief that gets in one of those will be picking thorns out for weeks.

cgaengineer
02-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Yuccas/Spanish bayonets are planted in my ex state of FL under the windows to help prevent thefts. I would suggest a big rotti or some other deep voice dog.

Pit traps with pungee sticks with poison tips work too. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
02-25-2012, 10:24 AM
My plant of choice for this is -

Pyracantha!!! Look it up if you're unfamiliar.

Wicked woody thorns. You get injured simply trimming and maintaining these terrible shrubs.

tailboardtech
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Ok so a little update they are barberry bushes not rose bushes( she was calling them rose bushes when she showed me the picture in the email) the reason the insurance company is paying for it was because they went to the bahamas the week after new years and they ripped out all the copper in the basement and took the new tv and everything worth value. I think she told me it was almost $50,000 in damages and stolen property both times they were robed they made entry through a side window and exited through a door also with this she asked me to put double sided keyed dead bolts on her doors. Gota love being a handymans service and yea I'm not looking forward to trimming those dam things
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Ok so a little update they are barberry bushes not rose bushes( she was calling them rose bushes when she showed me the picture in the email) the reason the insurance company is paying for it was because they went to the bahamas the week after new years and they ripped out all the copper in the basement and took the new tv and everything worth value. I think she told me it was almost $50,000 in damages and stolen property both times they were robed they made entry through a side window and exited through a door also with this she asked me to put double sided keyed dead bolts on her doors. Gota love being a handymans service and yea I'm not looking forward to trimming those dam things
Posted via Mobile Device

Get the right variety, space them correctly and just let them have natural appearance.

If you need to trim them, either use hedge trimmers and don't touch anything, or if pruning by hand, just use a set of pruners in each hand. One to grab the stem and the other to cut.

The worst part of Barberries is that when they reach maturity, you'll start getting dead wood. In order to keep them full and healthy you'll need to trim out the dead wood and that's where the pain comes into play.

integrityman
02-25-2012, 01:28 PM
My plant of choice for this is -

Pyracantha!!! Look it up if you're unfamiliar.

Wicked woody thorns. You get injured simply trimming and maintaining these terrible shrubs.

Yes!!!!- Pyracantha IS a nasty actor. Plus, its evergreen, tough, produces nice berries for birds/ wildlife. Forgot about this one. definitely a formidable foe! Its far worse (better) than barberry!

woodlawnservice
02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device