PDA

View Full Version : cracked/rotted frame welds

mule585
02-24-2012, 11:16 PM
has any one had this happen or have an idea for the best fix. truck is a '98 chevy k2500. this is the driver and passenger side of the front crossmember.

unkownfl
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
This will get things fired up in here. I've never broken that part of a frame but I have welded the frames between the back of the cab and axle.

DLCS
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Chevys with plows mounted to them are notorius for frame cracks. Although it usually comes with having mounted a plow that is too heavy or not recomended or a plow mounted on a Chevy with a diesel. go over to plowsite and posts those pictures, you will get many responses on how to fix it.

T-Trim
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
left side looks like rot top picture. We had that happen we just box it in from the outside and inside of the rotted area.

mule585
02-28-2012, 10:19 PM
im 90% sure this wasnt caused by the plow i have because it was like this just not as bad in November when i put the mount on the truck and its the first time it has had a plow. there has been a lot of salt on the roads this year just no snow. i have had the front crossmember removed and replaced in my k1500 a few years ago due to a guardrail i-beam but the frame itself was solid. im thinking cut out the rot brace the inside with c-chanel and plate the outside make it stronger than factory.