PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have problems or had problems with tailgates from high usage?

soloscaperman
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm going to look at it again but for the last two 2 years I keep on having problems opening or closing my tail gate. There are times it does lock in and I will be driving and it will pop open on a slight bump or going over speed bumps. My friend looked at it when I was at his house and said something was rusted when he popped open the latch cover you know that plastic piece over the handle to see it. Should I just buy a used tailgate for my 1994 Chevy K1500 and have him repaint it? I mean it has a few dents and scratches from snow plowing.

The problem know is it wont even open since the right side of the tailgate locked in all the way!

ecurbthims
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
all the parts are available to repair your tailgate ,take it apart ,then lube or replace as you need .I have a few of that style truck ,I dont run the handles anymore [I could ,just dont bother ] ,I just left the rods unnatached to the handle ,and squeeze the rods together when I need to open the gate and dont have any tailgate issues anymore ..

orangemower
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
As said, take it apart and fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bob
02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Mine was also opening when I hit a bump. I took the handle off and replaced it. Problem solved!! When the handle rusts , it will not function properly.

Moose's Mowing
02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Mine was also opening when I hit a bump. I took the handle off and replaced it. Problem solved!! When the handle rusts , it will not function properly.

Chevy's are known for this.....on my 04, I have the same problem. I haven't fix it yet but I have "fixed" it enough so the damn thing stays closed at least. Once this crappy weather stops I'm planning to tear it apart and remove the rust and grease it up well so it works like it should. I did what the other guy said and just took the two rods off of the handle, so now when I need to open the gate I squeeze the two rods together instead of using the handle.

scotts lawn care
02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I like to spray WD40 in the hinge points/ moving parts to hopefully prevent rust.

There is already some starting.....my truck is an 2004. Tailgates take alot of abuse

especially in winter with so much road salt back there.

greydog4u2
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I prefer PB blaster.

scotts lawn care
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Im going to try Fluid Film also, so many guys swear by it. Its just not around as

much as the other products like PB Blaster & WD40.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
The same thing happened with my 99. You need to change the handle. It wears in a way that lubrication won't fix the problem and I doubt there is anything wrong with the rods. You can get an aftermarket handle from most autowreckers.

soloscaperman
02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
The left and right rods are good but if you look up in there it is rusted and shot. For now I will just pop open the plastic frame and open the left and right rod together to open the gate. Next week I will buy a new handle since I have a couple jobs lined up. I have learned (late) to just remove the whole tail gate when snow plowing. You get to see better when reversing and it's easier to shovel up the sand&salt.