PDA

View Full Version : Mowing/Leaf Removal in Texas

jbell36
02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
i'm in kansas did a bid the other day for mowing and leaf removal...the landlord is from texas and thought my pricing was high...very nice lady and we aren't busy yet so we negotiated a price for the leaf clean up at 175 when i originally told her 225, then she asked about mowing...knowing what i knew then i said 35 for mowing when usually i would have said 40 for this lawn...maybe a little larger than a typical lawn but not much, it was also a wide open corner lot with no fence...she said that would go for about 25 in texas...

was kinda curious, is the market really that low in texas?

orangemower
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not from tx but if you want to believe everything someone says then I guess it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

finneylawns
02-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I am mowing South of Houston, Texas, and I currently have a drop gate fee of $30. So my minimum for any size yard is $30. The best information that my father-in-law (my mentor) gave me when I started was "you are in the business to make money not stay busy". I have learned to charge what you think it is worth for YOU to do the job, if you are slow and need the work then negotiate and get the work to make some money.

Also I would tell her "Toto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore" or maybe in your case you are, haha. Tell her that she is welcomed to contact someone else to compair prices.

Just my 2 cents.

StihlMechanic
02-25-2012, 01:28 PM
i'm in kansas did a bid the other day for mowing and leaf removal...the landlord is from texas and thought my pricing was high...very nice lady and we aren't busy yet so we negotiated a price for the leaf clean up at 175 when i originally told her 225, then she asked about mowing...knowing what i knew then i said 35 for mowing when usually i would have said 40 for this lawn...maybe a little larger than a typical lawn but not much, it was also a wide open corner lot with no fence...she said that would go for about 25 in texas...

Sounds about right. Lots of lowballers here. Plus it never rains in hell.

SNAPPER MAN
02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes the market is very cheap here. I do a lot of lawns for $25. The other thing is that guys here do amazing work for those prices also.
Posted via Mobile Device

greydog4u2
02-25-2012, 06:25 PM

just curious, how many square ft and how many trees?

ed2hess
02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Most lawns are $25 and that includes some commericial sites.

jbell36
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
just curious, how many square ft and how many trees?

i would say roughly 8-9,000...not many trees, 3 or 4...pretty wide open corner lot, no fence

jbell36
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm not from tx but if you want to believe everything someone says then I guess it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah i understand that, and don't get me wrong, we still made good money on it...$175 for 1.5 hours...we talked about the clean-up and that was finished before we discussed the mowing price, that's when she said it seemed a little high...i still stuck with my price

it's always good to know where the markets are in different places...it seems like Texas to Florida have it pretty rough, lots of competition at low prices

weeze
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
it does depend on your area. here where i live few people even get leaf cleanups. they don't pay alot of money for them if they do get them. they pay around the same price as a mowing or a little more. i usually just mulch up the leaves with my mower and i may have to make a few extra passes over it so it only takes a little longer than a regular mowing would. so on a $40 yard for mowing they would pay the same price for the leaf cleanup or maybe $50 at the most. if i told them $100-$175 they would laugh at me and tell me not to worry about doing it. that's just how it is here in alabama so i don't worry about doing all the bagging, tarping, etc. etc. i just do it the easiest way possible in order to get my money's worth out of it.

mowerman90
03-01-2012, 07:32 PM
The moment she said that "back in Texas they'd do it for less", I would have told her: You're welcome to call your lawn care provider in Texas and have him come up here to do it for you but I'd imagine there would be a rather large "trip charge" incured.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Texas is a large state it's not that cheap everywhere. Mostly just in and around the large cities. It's kind of the good ole boy system in the rural areas though. Those of us that were born and raised in the area and know everyone control the markets within our area for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I live in Texas and I have a few $25 yards. But they are "cookie cutter" yards, my crew can get in and out in about 15 minutes. Most of my yards are $40 and up. As far as leaf cleanup goes, I charge $100 per hour for a 3 man crew, with a minimum of 2 hours. I don't think your prices are out of line!

whaler's Mow-Town
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I live as far south in Texas as most people would care to go and my drop gate minimum is 43 bucks. I am not completely staunch with that but I would never go as low as 25 dollars. I would feel like I was going backwards.

I am continually swamped with work and if you want on my schedule, you gotta pay my minimum.:)

JDGlandscape
03-03-2012, 02:57 AM
wow im glad im not down in texas.. the average fall cleanup up here in New Hampshrie is around 375-450 bucks.. Thats where most of our revenue comes from, spring and fall cleanups

PLS-Tx
03-03-2012, 03:16 AM
We have a $50 min.

I'm not doing anything for $25, I need to make a profit.

CircleC
03-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Soooo...I was in good ole TX in November and didn't see a single lawn cut. Most grass was knee high. My grandma has her's cut every other week for $40. Guy has been with her for 15 yrs.

If it hasn't rained in years, you don't irrigate and its over 100 everyday what are you cutting? I was in San Antonio and Corpus Christi and I didn't see much happening....I was lucky to get away at the time, trying to coordiate 300 blow outs while in TX wasn't easy!
Posted via Mobile Device