PDA

View Full Version : Brushcutting question

MisterBreeze
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a Stihl FS 90. I want to put the cutting blade on and do a job cutting 2" trees and brush. I noticed Stihl recommends the bicycle bar and double harness. Is this really necessary?

wildstarblazer
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't think is necessary. I used to put saw blades on my weedeater to trim brush and tree branches....but... be really careful. That sucker can kick back or chop your foot if your not careful.

agrostis
02-25-2012, 07:32 PM
That harness distribute's the weight across both your shoulder's so you can concentrate better on the blade. The handlebars are so you can control that blade. The machine can ruin your day quick. The handlebar's and harness are totally necessary.

MisterBreeze
02-26-2012, 10:48 AM
2 responses and 2 totally different answers.

Dr.NewEarth
02-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Follow the manufacturers recommendations in all equipment manuals.

wildstarblazer
02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't use the bars because I have done it without and know what I'm doing, however if you don't feel comfortable using it without the bars than use them.

Try putting a blade on and get a feel for it without turning it on and without the handle bars. If you think it feels safe then go for it. also try it with the bars (if you have them already), if it feels safe and comfortable, then you know what to do.

I feel like the handle bars would make it more awkward. I take off the guard above the weed eat head as well. I don't know how anyone can weedeat with that thing on. I like using long string lengths and that guard won't let the string line out too much.

It's trial and error. You know the 'gator boys' catch and wrestle alligators but they don't recommend that you do it. :laugh:

White Gardens
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I would go with the bicycle bars if you use the brush cutter head.

Another option would be to use the Stihl Scythe (short hedge trimmer) to use on brush.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1633947682885&id=320feba7ddb0ffb8a6f9c086ae175ae1

I've used them all and I use an old hedge trimmer head on my FS90 for brush work. It's the easiest on my body, and it also seems safer than other methods.

If you run into any large saplings then skip over them and come back with a little hand saw or small chainsaw to finish up.

Just make sure whatever you use for the work that your Stihl is either an FS90 Or 110 that has the solid drive shaft.

StihlMechanic
02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think is necessary. I used to put saw blades on my weedeater to trim brush and tree branches....but... be really careful. That sucker can kick back or chop your foot if your not careful.

That is why Stihl recommends the bicycle handlebars, kickback.

aaron79mowing
02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I have done a lot of brush cutting w/ my Redmax. I don't use bicycle bars or a harness and have had no problems. However I do see how someone could get hurt using it that way if they were being careless. I have done it long enough that I know what to expect. I assume your a newbie or you wouldn't be asking so I think you should do what the manufacturer recommends.

MV Property Care
02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
I have a FS90 and have used it many time to cut brush. Usually it's on a hillside where I have to use one hand to help me climb or use one hand get things out of the way. I recomend the harness. Your arms can get tired if your cutting for hours at a time. If your cutting on flat land the bicycle bars can make it more comfortable. Hope this helps.

Ridin' Green
02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Actually,

Stihl doesn't necessarily recommend the bike bars. They do recommend the little bumper/stop bar for the left side of the loop handle to reduce and/or control kickback though, and a special cutter head deflector in place of the one that comes over the cutting head on a regular FS90.

As an old carpenter, I will tell you this-

Make sure that if you use your trimmer with a saw type blade, make sure you run it into the tree trunk just like you'd do with a circular saw- with the teeth revolving backwards to the direction of your cut. Otherwise you run the risk of having the teeth pull your cutter head on past the trunk in an uncontrolled motion. For your Stihl with its blade spinning counterclockwise, that would mean having the head to the right side of the trunk before you make the cut, and have the blade spinning fast before entering the wood. Make sure you read your manual before you do it too.

If you're gonna cut 2" sapplings I have to tell you though, that I have the pole pruner attachment for my FS90R, and it is far superior for small sapplings than any brush blade, and a lot safer to boot.