PDA

View Full Version : Watering Rig

RLS24
02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I am putting bids in for a local development company for some of their commercial properties for full landscape and lawn maintenance. Nothing huge (which they also have), but enough to get my business to the next level of where I want to be. Anyway, part of the bid spec is they want the seasonal planting beds and pots watered as needed in the event that it doesnt rain much (so probably once or twice a week). The catch is there are no water supply sources readily available at these properties. As in theres no spigots to hook a hose up to outside!

My initial plan was to get a small trailer (like a 4x6 2,000 lb GVW), mount a 200 gallon tank to it (bolt it down and prob chain-binder it too for good measure) and then put a small gas powered "clear water" pump on it and a garden hose reel. I can get a meter from the local water authority to use fire hydrants to fill it up, and water is cheap and I figure the rest of the setups isnt going to be a fortune either. I think most of the properties I'm bidding on should be able to be done with 200 gallons, the one that would prob need more has a fire hydrant on site so I could easily re-fill.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this in a bid spec, so I was wondering what you guys do? Is there a better way to go about it than the idea I have? Also if anyone has something similar to this and could post some pics that would be good too!

White Gardens
02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds like it would get the job done.

meicher806
02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
If you can go with a bigger tank you will be happier in the long run, I started out with a 200 gal tank some years ago, we are now running a 1500gal tank. it just sucks when you spend most of your day running back and forth to get water in your tank.

RLS24
02-25-2012, 08:46 PM
If you can go with a bigger tank you will be happier in the long run, I started out with a 200 gal tank some years ago, we are now running a 1500gal tank. it just sucks when you spend most of your day running back and forth to get water in your tank.

Only reason I'm going with that small of a tank is so I can get away with buying a smaller trailer to keep costs down. I'm not sure of this is an endeavor that I'm going to get into long-term or how long this contract with the developer will go. I'm bidding on 14 of their properties, and I'm hoping to get about 3-4 of them when all is said and done.

Also, I know when I used to be a firefighter and I was into driving the trucks and everything, the pumper all had baffles in the tanks so when they were partially empty the water wouldnt slosh around in the tank from side to side causing the truck to be off-balance. Obviously a little 250-gal plastic tank isnt going to have baffles in it, but is that a problem transporting it?

meicher806
02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/134153-550_gallon_vertical_storage_tank.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3dliquid%2bstoreage%2btank

A tank like this should drop right into your truck bed with no problems, thus eliminating the need for a trailer. one less thing to maintain and insure.

RLS24
02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/134153-550_gallon_vertical_storage_tank.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3dliquid%2bstoreage%2btank

A tank like this should drop right into your truck bed with no problems, thus eliminating the need for a trailer. one less thing to maintain and insure.

Yeah I looked at something like that, but I like the flexibility of the trailer because that way either of my trucks could take it, the one truck has a dump insert in it so I don't think it would fit. Hell, if we were REALLY busy where both trucks were being used and it needed to get done I could take it over there with the wife's SUV if I had to! How heavy are those tanks empty?

White Gardens
02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Obviously a little 250-gal plastic tank isnt going to have baffles in it, but is that a problem transporting it?

You should be OK, but there is balls you can buy to put in the tanks to minimize sloshing.

meicher806
02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
those tanks are light, i can move around my 1500 gal by my self

cgaengineer
02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I kept my newly sodded lawn alive in 2007 with a 4hp pump and a 275 gallon water tote. I filled from a lake.
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't think 200 gallon's will be enough, but water weigh's 8.3 Lbs. a gallon. That's a lot of weight. Poly tank's are cheap and come in a lot of size's and configuration's. They are light, but they are fragile too. A chain will go right through them. But you can do that if the hydrant isn't to far away.

organiclawncanada
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Try and find a used tote 275 Gallon IBC Tote. You can get them cheap, and empty you can move around by yourself. We have a couple of comapnies around here that put 4 on the back of a flat bed truck and run a trash pump with a garden hose and watering wand. If I had to do it I would put one in the back of my pick up with a pump and hose.

cgaengineer
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I pulled mine with a V6 Tacoma on a 10k capacity trailer...it's very heavy for a Tacoma.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I had something similar come up this past summer. I planted about 1000 3 gallon plants along the right of way and the irrigation wasnt working. I got a meter from the county to attach to a hydrant that was plumbed down to a 3/4 hose bibb so for some of the area I watered straight from the hydrant to the plants. The others I filled a 250 gallon square cage tank that in the back of my f250 and used an old aquascape 3500 gph pump that i was running off a small generator I went as low budget as i could seeing this was not in my bid. Also you can load the tank empty by your self

RLS24
02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm figuring I could build this setup on a trailer for about a grand, and at that price, even if I only get the bid for one year which would be enough to break even on it, then at least I have the thing in case something like this could ever come up again. I REALLY like the idea more and more of being able to slide the thing into the back of my truck, or a trailer, I was thinking like build the WHOLE thing on a skid so I could just use a tractor or skid steer to load and unload the whole thing as a unit, but I don't have a tractor or skid steer to do that haha. The other nice idea I think with the trailer setup is this task is prob going to be something I'm going to have to get up at the ass crack of dawn and run out and do real fast in the morning before we start landscaping/mowing for the day, so the trailer is a nice quick attach it to the truck and drop it off and hook up to the next trailer when I get home.

I had something similar come up this past summer. I planted about 1000 3 gallon plants along the right of way and the irrigation wasnt working. I got a meter from the county to attach to a hydrant that was plumbed down to a 3/4 hose bibb so for some of the area I watered straight from the hydrant to the plants. The others I filled a 250 gallon square cage tank that in the back of my f250 and used an old aquascape 3500 gph pump that i was running off a small generator I went as low budget as i could seeing this was not in my bid. Also you can load the tank empty by your self

One of those square cage tanks was exactly what I wanted to use! I figured the cage and base would be great to use to anchor it to the trailer or strap it down to the truck bed.

betmr
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I have made an adapter for garden hose, to fit fire hydrant, and get permission to use them.

bucket
02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Our watering rig....

zimmatic
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
You need something like this. http://www.texasfiretrucks.com/1791/pumper-trucks/1984-chevrolet-roughneck-pumper/ You can pick these older models up for cheap at actions. 1000-5000

I also placed a bid for common maint for a neighborhood and needed watering. If I am awarded the contract I would by a pumper truck and place a water/flood nozzle to water larger areas. Obviously I would modify the truck to run garden hoses, to larger watering.

Plus you will have one cool ride with sirens and all!!!

cgaengineer
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I have made an adapter for garden hose, to fit fire hydrant, and get permission to use them.

You don't need a hydrant meter? Around here they won't give out hydrant meters anymore...they had too many people stealing I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ramairfreak98ss
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM

yeah, ive always heard people say they'd rather have gotten a bigger tank and they go through the water quicker than first estimated...

I have a setup for our 500gallon Turboturf hydroseeder on a skid, so i can put it in the back of one of the F350s and just fill up and take it wherever.

We did a job where we ran 4 valves simultaneously watering a newly hydroseeded/tacked slope, so id just hook up to the temp irrigation system and unload the 500 gallons through a 2" pipe, goes fast! maybe 10 minutes.

If your just doing little flowers, im sure 200 gallons may be fine then and you wouldnt need much flow, a big 12v DC pump might work for you and be easy to turn on/off. A 2 stroke motor pump might work faster, but then be noisier.. they are annoying sounding compared to even say a 5hp trash pump or something of that nature.

I'd run pipe/hose bigger than garden hose though, just so whatever is pumping it isnt forcing it much. Maybe 3/4" garden hose at minimum or 1" hose from your local big plumbing supply company with quick couplers to the tank/pump etc.