PDA

View Full Version : echo vs stihl

Z's Lawncare
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
i am debating wether to get a stihl fs 90r or an echo srm 280. i have a stihl fs110 and love it but it has been giving me problems with the 4 mix. im wondering on your opinions on which is better?

Shindaiwa / Echo Dealer
02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
For the same or very similar price, you can get a Shindaiwa T282 or T282x. Tons more power and weight is identical to the Echo SRM-280.

SMITHSCAPE
02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey Z, I have always used the STIHL FC 90 edgers and FS 110 line trimmers. I have had problems with both, and now am switching new equipment purchases to Shindaiwa. After careful deliberation, the LE242 has become my edger of choice. It's rated slightly less powerful, but it's a better overall machine with proven reliability. I'm done with STIHL 4 mix.

485DEERE
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
you will have zero issues with STIHL 4-MIX if you run stihl ultra oil @50:1 exclusivley in them. they should easiler run 1000hrs if properly maintained. if you are one who does not care for/or do maint. to your gear, then 4-MIX is not for you.

SMITHSCAPE
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I only used STIHL Ultra oil mix and did all maintenance as stated in the owner's manual. I'm simply stating my opinion that STIHL 4 mix is not reliable enough for my use and will not recommend it to anyone. I wouldn't recommend a product if I hadn't used both and formed an opinion.

Copacabana
02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
I would go with Stihl. We use high grade fuel and stihl's synthetic mixing oil and never had ONE SINGLE problem with them.

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
i had just got mine serviced and put it away for winter and then when i started it up a week or so ago it wouldnt stay running so i had to adjust it myself really mad myself think about getting an echo.

Ridin' Green
02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Even if you drained the gas tank before storing it for the winter, if you left ANY fuel in the carb (even with Sta-Bil in it) the carb may be gummed up. Try running some SeaFoam or Star-Tron through it. I always use Sta-Bil, but after I started using SeaFoam and Star-Tron, I have had less starting issues than ever. I always make sure to drain the tanks of all my handhelds, then run them until they stop to use up all the gas in the carb and lines. Then I pump the purge bulb to force any gas that is still in it, back into the tank so that it doesn't end up in the fuel line anywhere. I do that to both my 4 mix's and 2 strokes.

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 04:02 PM
i ran it out of gas then kept starting it until it ran completeley out. but thanks for the idea.

Ridin' Green
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
What kind of oil were you using prior to running it dry for storage? The residules left behind (by some brands of oils) on the valves, and in the carb can cause troubles, which is why I said to run some SeaFoam or Star-Tron.

Ridin' Green
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Also, don't think that just switching brands can, and will solve all your problems. It may, but it may not.

I had an Echo trimmer for a while (can't recall off the top of my head the model #) that always was hard to start no matter what, and never wanted to smooth out even when warm. I have never had any troubles yet with any of my Stihl 4 mixer's, and they are by far the easiest starting handhelds I have when cold. I run several Husky machines as well, and they run great, but they don't start near as easy as the Stihl's when cold or after being stored.

One other thing. Have you ever had the valves adjusted on your Stihl 4 Mix? When they get hard to start, that's usually a sign the valves are in need of adjusting.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I would go with Stihl. We use high grade fuel and stihl's synthetic mixing oil and never had ONE SINGLE problem with them.

Same here.

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 04:37 PM
i was using 93 mixed with stabil and stihl ultra oil

ed2hess
02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I only used STIHL Ultra oil mix and did all maintenance as stated in the owner's manual. I'm simply stating my opinion that STIHL 4 mix is not reliable enough for my use and will not recommend it to anyone. I wouldn't recommend a product if I hadn't used both and formed an opinion.

You are exactly correct the 4-mix is difficult to fix when they start having problems and if you USE them they do fail. The Echo SRM 265 is far and beyond a better unit. And it is 2 stroke.

scotts lawn care
02-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Im going to stick with stihl equipment. Most of the John Deere dealers are now

selling all stihl hand held eq. For them to put there faith in stihl, i will too.

Dr.NewEarth
02-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Either company and others, make excellent products.
I use both Stihl and Echo on my jobs.(as well as other two cycle machines)

Echo is lighter and easier to maintain. Stihl is heavier and a bit harder to maintain.

aaron79mowing
02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I bought a echo blower, can't remember the model and a srm-240 trimmer. They were both junk compared to my redmax equipment. Neither one ran very good and were always dying on me and hard to start. I will never be buying anymore echo products.

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
thanks for the responses and i had the the valves adjusted and it helped. i really like stihl and think im going to continue to use stihl

dieselman29200
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
You could go on for ever debating which one is better. I say go with the one that has the best dealer support in your area no matter the brand. Without a good dealer to back you up, you can have the best product in the world and it would eventually seem like a piece of junk.

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
i have 2 very good dealers for stihl and one for echo, i kinda wanna try something new but i do like my stihls

Exmarkboy13
02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I have had zero isues with my FS90R and will probally buy another. Great machines. I liked it better than the 110r

Z's Lawncare
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
i have heard many people say that i think im goin to try a fs90

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-26-2012, 10:39 PM
zero issues with my stihl. you just have to change the carb because of ethonal all your equipment with carbs are gonna be destroyed. get you a stihl its the best

Z's Lawncare
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
any one out there using husqvarna trimmers