PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Gulf Breeze, Navarre area?

J.T.RLawnCare
02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
I am just starting out this year would like to know if anyone in my area has any pointers or could give me an idea on fair pricing. :)

GreenT
02-26-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm not from your area but I can tell you this.... as cheaply as possible. Anything below $40/month is hitting the sweet spot....

Here's a few more pro-tips to remember:

Cut SA as low as possible. It looks good and you won't have to cut as often.
Sharp blades are a myth. Once a month touch ups suffices.
Always blow leaves/debris onto beds and grass clippings on the street.
Never edge with an edger. A string trimmer is faster and does a better job.
Licenses are for suckers. That's why you can buy as much Gly as you want at JD and they'll never ask you for one.
Always, always try to undercut your competitors. Market share = profits.
Professional equipment is expensive and over-rated. All you need is available for you at the HD.
Try to get as many palm/tree trimming jobs as possible. It's so easy, a monkey can do it.
If you ever land any mulch work, the objective is to sprinkle as little as possible. Just enough to cover the old mulch. That way you can charge less and get more jobs.
And finally, whatever you do, always, always maintain a minimum hourly rate.... even if you're unemployed and only have five accounts. You wouldn't want to cheat yourself....

Now, go and become a millionaire.

Landscape Poet
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM

I'm not from your area but I can tell you this.... as cheaply as possible. Anything below $40/month is hitting the sweet spot....

Licenses are for suckers. That's why you can buy as much Gly as you want at JD and they'll never ask you for one.
Professional equipment is expensive and over-rated. All you need is available for you at the HD.
Try to get as many palm/tree trimming jobs as possible. It's so easy, a monkey can do it.
If you ever land any mulch work, the objective is to sprinkle as little as possible. Just enough to cover the old mulch. That way you can charge less and get more jobs.
And finally, whatever you do, always, always maintain a minimum hourly rate.... even if you're unemployed and only have five accounts. You wouldn't want to cheat yourself....

Great advice T. You really set this guy up for success. Don't forget that every tree and shrub should be formed into a ball, it is just more professional that way. Now that he is all caught up on how to be a real professional maybe he can join you in the political forums T?

Any we wonder why members only tend to lurk at the FL forum instead of participating.....I can not understand why as we are all Angels here and full of helpful information! :angel::angel::angel:

GreenT
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Just trying to save the kid some time.

Landscape Poet
02-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Just trying to save the kid some time.

Well in that case tell him which is better Stihl or Echo. Which backpack blower is the best. Don't forget to tell him all the uses of Amsoil and Fluid Film. :usflag::usflag: By the time it is all over T you and I are going to have him educated for real.

J.T.RLawnCare
02-27-2012, 02:25 AM
i like echo more i used it before and loved it, honda push and im not educated on z turns. To start i got just a troy bult with a honda 6.75 non-self pro. with a troy bult trimmer with easy link and a troy built backpack blower and ramps the mower i got used for 75 bucks the trimmer and back pack i got new its not the greatest but will work till i can get echo :clapping:

oh and my starting price is 30 for cut edge blow figured that should be good on smaller jobs

GreenT
02-27-2012, 02:36 AM

See now?....

Day off?
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM

You forgot the two most important things...
1) Get a business credit card to help cover some of the more expensive start up costs.

2) Never wear a shirt. It helps you stand out from the big companies!

Landscape Poet
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
2) Never wear a shirt. It helps you stand out from the big companies!

It also helps show off your sexy ink. You know all the housewives in the suburbs really get hot and bothered when they see a neck tat and tip more! ;)

Ric
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
It also helps show off your sexy ink. You know all the housewives in the suburbs really get hot and bothered when they see a neck tat and tip more! ;)

Mikey

Why show your ink for free?? Buy a Tent and Charge a Quarter.

Landscape Poet
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Mikey

Why show your ink for free?? Buy a Tent and Charge a Quarter.

Ric, I am not a successful enough lawn boy to have ink yet....one day I will however have INK and raise up to the greatness of some of the all time great lawn boys that came before me! :clapping:

Ric
02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Ric, I am not a successful enough lawn boy to have ink yet....one day I will however have INK and raise up to the greatness of some of the all time great lawn boys that came before me! :clapping:

Mikey

You know you have made it as a Lawn boy when you can afford ink from head to toes. Face tattoos show real class so get on those first. Nothing lets a new customer have faith in you than your club symbol tattooed right on your neck is plain sight. But don't be a wimp like Mike Tyson and go all the way with full color ink.

Landscape Poet
02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Mikey

You know you have made it as a Lawn boy when you can afford ink from head to toes. Face tattoos show real class so get on those first. Nothing lets a new customer have faith in you than your club symbol tattooed right on your neck is plain sight. But don't be a wimp like Mike Tyson and go all the way with full color ink.

Ric,

One day when I grow up from being just a regular lawn turd and make it big, I plan on looking like this. My customers will know that I am a success because I can afford all this ink. I doubt that collections will be hard either as they will know I mean business.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3zF7zEqV_Y9ys3PCpMnD2q2WYMcdcmOSpyL1TehqvnnR0aTMc_Q

Ric
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Mikey

Great to see you have your goals headed in the right direction. However You might want to have your picture in Public Record like my hero pictured below.

J.T.RLawnCare
02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I like how this thread has taken a complete 360 into whole nother topic :rolleyes:

Landscape Poet
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I like how this thread has taken a complete 360 into whole nother topic :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums and especially welcome to the FLORIDA forums J.T.R .....we do things just a little different down here as you can tell, usually in good fun. Stick around for awhile and you will enjoy us I think.

J.T.RLawnCare
02-28-2012, 11:50 PM
I am a forum man and well i enjoy this one very much and being only 19 there is soooooo much for me too learn and this seems like the best place till i get my own experiences to learn off of :clapping:

Rhett
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey JT I am in Destin. Have been full time for 11 years or so. To be fair to yourself you must first know your costs. Before you get paid equipment, insurance, uncle sam and a bunch of other stuff must be paid. You see all the majical numbers thrown around here. Most don't really pertain to our area. I currently run one truck with one employee. We are prodominantly maitenance. We do several installs during the off season but March thru November nothing but mowig pruning and mulch. The point where I am able to pay myself is when each of us brings in 35 bucks an hour. Most days we cover that and a tad more. Few days we double that. Me likey those days. Real easy when you first start to under priece your services. You may pick up alot of work quickly but you will find that you are doing nothing but wearing yourself and your equipment out. Anyway best of luck

Day off?
03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey J.T.R. Just remember... Everything you do costs money. Keep a close track of your expenses . Low balling will help you get customers but you will be working for free.

J.T.RLawnCare
03-11-2012, 01:18 AM
I figured that I need 25X25 to be successful in my eyes 25 residential 25 cut edge blow a week
that pays my bills and lets me put some away each month but I figured to make sure this happens I first need 25 accounts on weekly service my tail gate is 30.00 on any service preformed, although I am going to try and get accounts closer to 35-45 a cut hopefully the past few weeks call backs on flyers have been few and its starting really slow….any advice I went ahead and got GL though so now Licensed and Insured from day 1.
:dancing: