PDA

View Full Version : LawnBoy 10323

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey guys, I have a opportunity to buy a LawnBoy 10323 duraforce from my dealer for $250.95.
The only reason that I am buying a 2-stroke mower is that I need a slope mower because I have been mowing with my 4-cycle push mowers but, whenever I get at a property that has a slope I am forced to mow sideways on that property because otherwise the 4-cycle mower will stall because of oil starvation in the crankcase.
The mower is in great shiney condition (I saw it).
The only bad thing about this mower (that I know of) is that it occasionally surges because the jets are too small. (chime in with anything else you know)
PS.... this mower was never used for commercial work
Please tell me if this is a good decision/bad decision and why.
:)

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Bump to the top!

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey guys, I have a opportunity to buy a LawnBoy 10323 duraforce from my dealer for $250.95.
The only reason that I am buying a 2-stroke mower is that I need a slope mower because I have been mowing with my 4-cycle push mowers but, whenever I get at a property that has a slope I am forced to mow sideways on that property because otherwise the 4-cycle mower will stall because of oil starvation in the crankcase.
The mower is in great shiney condition (I saw it).
The only bad thing about this mower (that I know of) is that it occasionally surges because the jets are too small. (chime in with anything else you know)
PS.... this mower was never used for commercial work
Please tell me if this is a good decision/bad decision and why.
:)

I really need some help on this one!

lawnboy dan
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
my tractorform.com has plenty of info on how to fix the jet problem. you must install a fuel shut off valve for the fuel and USE IT TO AVOID CARB PROBLEMS. GOOD MOWER OTHERWISE.if you dont use the fuel shutoff-you will have big problems. the jet problem is an easy fix if you know carbs. just replace the low speed jet with a larger and if you still have surging-enlarge the high speed jet

Landrus2
02-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Nothing a drill can't fix requires some mechanical expertise.:waving:

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
my tractorform.com has plenty of info on how to fix the jet problem. you must install a fuel shut off valve for the fuel and USE IT TO AVOID CARB PROBLEMS. GOOD MOWER OTHERWISE.if you dont use the fuel shutoff-you will have big problems. the jet problem is an easy fix if you know carbs. just replace the low speed jet with a larger and if you still have surging-enlarge the high speed jet

Guess I should have mentioned that the jet problem is fixed.
I am not sure if it has a fuel shut-off valve but I will install one if I end up getting the mower.

BTW: Thank You :)

360ci
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I picked up a good condition #10247 (push mower Duraforce 6.5hp 2stroke engine). It was previously used on a smaller yard since new and I found it on www.kijiji.ca for $50! One client who I no longer service (he sold out and the current owner doesn't care about appearance), I'd attach a chain to the mower and pull it up/down the hill as parts had 30-35deg incline to it. My 4 stroke's could handle it but after a minute steady on the hill they'd smoke from oil getting into the combustion chamber.

I'd check the used market in your area first as $250 seems a bit high. I know someone had a commercial lawnboy with a 1gal fuel tank for sale locally and was asking $400 for it - it looked as if it was well abused and I'd never pay that price.

I run Amsoil synthetic 100:1 2 stroke oil in my 10247 (real mix is roughly 75/80 to 1) and I've had ZERO problems. Last year the mower only saw about 20 hours of use and is now strictly a backup mower.

360ci
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
You might want these if you decide to purchase! Enjoy

http://www.biodsl.com/fsm/Silver_Pro_Series_Manual.pdf

http://www.biodsl.com/fsm/Duraforce_Service_Manual.pdf

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I picked up a good condition #10247 (push mower Duraforce 6.5hp 2stroke engine). It was previously used on a smaller yard since new and I found it on www.kijiji.ca for $50! One client who I no longer service (he sold out and the current owner doesn't care about appearance), I'd attach a chain to the mower and pull it up/down the hill as parts had 30-35deg incline to it. My 4 stroke's could handle it but after a minute steady on the hill they'd smoke from oil getting into the combustion chamber

I'd check the used market in your area first as $250 seems a bit high. I know someone had a commercial lawnboy with a 1gal fuel tank for sale locally and was asking $400 for it - it looked as if it was well abused and I'd never pay that price.

I run Amsoil synthetic 100:1 2 stroke oil in my 10247 (real mix is roughly 75/80 to 1) and I've had ZERO problems. Last year the mower only saw about 20 hours of use and is now strictly a backup mower.

WOW!
I looked on kijiji but I only found an 8461 for $400.00 bucks which was a bit high for me (I think it was the one you found). The one at my dealer is in amazing shape and the price too!
What are the keywords you use because I try eg.. "lawnboy" "lawnboy 2-stroke" "lawnboy mower" and it only gives me about 5 ads?

Not to hijack my own thread but where do you get your Amsoil from?
PS... If you want to network with some more landscapers from ON you can go to the "network with other people from your area" and there is an "Ontario Landscapers" thread there.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
You might want these if you decide to purchase! Enjoy

http://www.biodsl.com/fsm/Silver_Pro_Series_Manual.pdf

http://www.biodsl.com/fsm/Duraforce_Service_Manual.pdf

Thank you! :)

360ci
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
More than welcome!

I did network with someone YEARS ago. We covered for each other as we were both one man outfits back then. However, he became lazy and when I went on holidays he didn't cover like he said he would. Two weeks later his clients were phoning me as he utterly packed his bags and left without notice. I was only away 5 days so it wasn't devastating on my clients that he was looking out for (I had many that were bi-weekly back then). For all services we both kept a 15% admin fee (for invoicing, etc) and gave the working party the remainder of the gross.

When you search Kijiji, search "Ontario" instead of just your area and normally "lawnboy" worked for me. I picked up my 10247 in Mitchell along highway 7/8. About 45min drive west of me here in Kitchener. If you're willing to drive a bit and save a hundred or so plus dollars, it's worth it to broaden the search.

Some things on Kijiji are overpriced, and people know that the 2 stroke mowers are highly sought after as you can no longer purchase them. Which is a shame. Motorcycles have no emissions, so why should lawn mowers!

I got the manuals directly from LawnBoy. It took some time as I couldn't find them on their search area on their website. After months of emailing I managed to obtain the PDF versions. When I tore apart my 10247 after I got it home, the exhaust port was exceptionally clean, so I was glad to see that the maintenance has been kept up. I replaced the spark plug just for added piece of mind. The only problem I've encountered with it was that if it's 10C or cooler out, it takes several minutes to start. My 13 year old ECHO leaf blower has a similar cold start issue so I blame it solely on it being a 2 stroke.

I use the same Amsoil mix for the blower as well as the lawnboy to simplify things. With the lawnboy now used as a backup mower I only go through a gallon of mix a month.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
More than welcome!

I did network with someone YEARS ago. We covered for each other as we were both one man outfits back then. However, he became lazy and when I went on holidays he didn't cover like he said he would. Two weeks later his clients were phoning me as he utterly packed his bags and left without notice. I was only away 5 days so it wasn't devastating on my clients that he was looking out for (I had many that were bi-weekly back then). For all services we both kept a 15% admin fee (for invoicing, etc) and gave the working party the remainder of the gross.

When you search Kijiji, search "Ontario" instead of just your area and normally "lawnboy" worked for me. I picked up my 10247 in Mitchell along highway 7/8. About 45min drive west of me here in Kitchener. If you're willing to drive a bit and save a hundred or so plus dollars, it's worth it to broaden the search

Some things on Kijiji are overpriced, and people know that the 2 stroke mowers are highly sought after as you can no longer purchase them. Which is a shame. Motorcycles have no emissions, so why should lawn mowers!

I got the manuals directly from LawnBoy. It took some time as I couldn't find them on their search area on their website. After months of emailing I
managed to obtain the PDF versions. When I tore apart my 10247 after I got it home, the exhaust port was exceptionally clean, so I was glad to see that the maintenance has been kept up. I replaced the spark plug just for added piece of mind. The only problem I've encountered with it was that if it's 10C or cooler out, it takes several minutes to start. My 13 year old ECHO leaf blower has a similar cold start issue so I blame it solely on it being a 2 stroke.

I use the same Amsoil mix for the blower as well as the lawnboy to simplify things. With the lawnboy now used as a backup mower I only go through a gallon of mix a month.

Thank you! I will do so with my kijiji search.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Refresh....

944own
02-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I think that price is a little high. I have a couple 10323's and I think I maybe paid $150 for the most expensive I bought. I carry a 10525 gold series with me every day that I picked up on craigslist for $100 it has the same 6.5 motor as the 10323 silver series but the gold has the aluminum deck. good luck if you can get it for 150 go for it they are great mowers. I have had the surge problem a couple times and I just pull the jet out and blow it out with compressed air and it seems to fix the surge problem.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I think that price is a little high. I have a couple 10323's and I think I maybe paid $150 for the most expensive I bought. I carry a 10525 gold series with me every day that I picked up on craigslist for $100 it has the same 6.5 motor as the 10323 silver series but the gold has the aluminum deck. good luck if you can get it for 150 go for it they are great mowers. I have had the surge problem a couple times and I just pull the jet out and blow it out with compressed air and it seems to fix the surge problem.

I will try to talk my dealer down in price.
If I will ever have the surge problem I will try and fix it following that method even though the dealer already fixed that problem as I mentioned to someone else.

Roger
02-26-2012, 08:28 PM
It is too bad you aren't close to me. I have two LB 2 cycle, one a Dura-Force, that the price would be $0.00, for both. You just pick them up. Oh yes, the DuraForce comes complete with modified carb jet!!! (in a box because it burned 2X fuel and clogged up the exhaust with gunk -- too much unburned fuel out the exhaust)

The price to ship them to anybody isn't worth their value.

P.S. I would take the DuraForce LB you are considering, in a second, as long as three $100s were clipped to the handle, and my price was $0.00. Sorry --- bad experiences with DuraForce LB engines.

944own
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
It is too bad you aren't close to me. I have two LB 2 cycle, one a Dura-Force, that the price would be $0.00, for both. You just pick them up. Oh yes, the DuraForce comes complete with modified carb jet!!! (in a box because it burned 2X fuel and clogged up the exhaust with gunk -- too much unburned fuel out the exhaust)

P.S. I would take the DuraForce LB you are considering, in a second, as long as three $100s were clipped to the handle, and my price was $0.00. Sorry --- bad experiences with DuraForce LB engines.

Too bad you are so far away I would come over tonight for them. I have nothing but good to say about the ones I have had. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Roger
02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
944... Do you use them 700-800 hours per season?

360ci
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I have well over 1000hours on my Craftsman 6.25hp 4 stroke. I replaced the head gasket twice, reseated a valve once (someone -no names here- hit a chunk of moss covered cement but at least the engine still kept proper timing). I'm lucky to put on 50 hours a season now with my LB duraforce 2 stroke. In 2009 I used it for 8-10 hours a week, mostly on steep hills with no problems. I've checked but never had to clean any parts when the specified maintenance interval came due. Great machine. I'm sure if I put 700+ hours on it each season I still won't complain about putting a few bucks into it each year.

944own
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
944... Do you use them 700-800 hours per season?

Not even close but I have a friend that turned me onto them and him and his uncle only use lawnboys no big mowers and have been in business over 30 years and I'm sure they do. I only have a few I actually need a small mower for I mainly use a 60.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
944... For moderate use, I think they are a great machine. But, they are not built for the heavy-duty use we needed. Using them a few hours per week, they should last a long time. But, running many hours per day, six days, they just don't have the stamina.

The old "F" machines (predecessor) to the DuraForce were built for the long-haul. They ran, ran, and ran some more. The difference between these two was light/dark.

360, ... I agree with the maintenance costs. A new short block used to cost about $189, and a new carb about $60 (carb is plastic; the throttle butterfly pins will oval out the blind hole). If you can get these spare parts today, would it be worth to put $250 in repairs every year? Rebuild in the off-season, every Winter, ...? Oh yes, add two sets of drive wheels and height adjusters to the mix every year -- another $60 or so. So, $300 per season, ...? Despite doing a great job of mowing, I would have to think twice about the $300, and hope that I could reach the season-end before doing the repairs.

I opted for a Honda HRX217, with a consumer GCV engine (OVC). It has lasted more than 1,500 hours, and still strong (not unlike the LB "F").

360ci
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm looking at replacing my 4 stroke's with two of the same gas brand and am considering the Honda 5.5 engines. Parts are everywhere here and as Tecumseh no longer produces engines, parts are harder to find. Last head gasket I ordered took a month to come in through Sears. Most Honda parts are in stock regularly, even coils!

I prefer the smoother 4 stroke mowers and I think it gives a better business image as most folks are used to their sound. At times my 10247 misfires when I back off on the throttle, it was a new development later last year but it might be due to old fuel. Spark plug was new but I didn't check for proper gap before installing. Meh. If I have to put more than $100 in parts at any one time into a push mower, I'll sell the parts that are good and get a new one.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Thank you anyways :)

I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience with lawnboy duraforce engines.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
944... For moderate use, I think they are a great machine. But, they are not built for the heavy-duty use we needed. Using them a few hours per week, they should last a long time. But, running many hours per day, six days, they just don't have the stamina.

The old "F" machines (predecessor) to the DuraForce were built for the long-haul. They ran, ran, and ran some more. The difference between these two was light/dark.

360, ... I agree with the maintenance costs. A new short block used to cost about $189, and a new carb about $60 (carb is plastic; the throttle butterfly pins will oval out the blind hole). If you can get these spare parts today, would it be worth to put $250 in repairs every year? Rebuild in the off-season, every Winter, ...? Oh yes, add two sets of drive wheels and height adjusters to the mix every year -- another $60 or so. So, $300 per season,
...? Despite doing a great job of mowing, I would have to think twice about the $300, and hope that I could reach the season-end before doing the repairs
I opted for a Honda HRX217, with a consumer GCV engine (OVC). It has lasted more than 1,500 hours, and still strong (not unlike the LB "F").

Lawn boy commercial were and still are a true legend in the industry.

Roger
02-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Lawn boy commercial were and still are a true legend in the industry.

To be sure, until the DuraForce! Notice how long it lasted on the market. Yes, EPA was breathing down their necks, and they tried to continue a commercial line with a 4 cycle engine. This lasted only a year or so. The sequence afforded them a good opportunity to "get out" and they took it.

Perhaps I am a bit jaded because I have a Toro Proline, with a 2 cycle Sizuki. It has ran for more than 10 seasons, thousands of hours, all without a problem. So, I have a comparison that puts my DuraForce experiences into perspective.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 11:00 PM
To be sure, until the DuraForce! Notice how long it lasted on the market. Yes, EPA was breathing down their necks, and they tried to continue a commercial line with a 4 cycle engine. This lasted only a year or so. The sequence afforded them a good opportunity to "get out" and they took it.

Perhaps I am a bit jaded because I have a Toro Proline, with a 2 cycle Sizuki. It has ran for more than 10 seasons, thousands of hours, all without a problem. So, I have a comparison that puts my DuraForce experiences into perspective.

The Suzuki 2-stroke are also some amazing engines just like the lawnboy commercial line.

Roger
02-26-2012, 11:04 PM
The Suzuki 2-stroke are also some amazing engines just like the lawnboy commercial line.

Sorry -- totally different league!!!

360ci
02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
I thought they were related to Evinrude?

bare spot
02-27-2012, 02:42 AM
seen one of these for sale few yrs ago and picked it up. only issue could recall was an ign. module. at times i get that surging i read about at times, doesn't seam consistant and if do once i start cutting it seams to go away.after i bought it and was loading it up, the guy i bought it from told me he just had it serviced, didn't ask for what, figured a new plug or something but now wondering if anything was done to the carb. picked it mower for hills and slopes, it's not used a lot but will say it's a fun mower to cut with. -saw something when i got it bout switching out the gears (in the drive) to speed it up, which i did and it worked. . btw haven't had carburator a part but seeing the is a fuel filter in the carb, was wondering if these are the same that are used in some trimmers, would they work?

ecurbthims
02-27-2012, 03:12 AM
I thought they were related to Evinrude?

in about 1989 toro bought them out

lawnboy dan
02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
yes there is a fuel screen in the carb but it dosnt do a good job. install an inline filterand shut off. uses the shut off every time you use the mower. no carb problems.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the awesome replies so far!

bare spot
02-28-2012, 02:35 AM
there is a plastic bar that runs across the bottom of the chute opening. was thinking poss. taking that off somehow but not sure if i'll compromise the deck. when the weather gets a little warmer, wanna check doing this out.

360ci
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
there is a plastic bar that runs across the bottom of the chute opening. was thinking poss. taking that off somehow but not sure if i'll compromise the deck. when the weather gets a little warmer, wanna check doing this out.

I've thought about doing this as well, the bar really limits the chute output.

lawnboy dan
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
the deck is already pretty flimsey and you ll get more deck flex if you remove the bar. none of the lawnboys are good side shooters anyway. mulching is the forte here

944own
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
The gold series has a metal bar you can unbolt. The silver series has the plastic bar. I have cut all mine out with a dremmel and no more clogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

bare spot
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
much appreciate the others sharing there thoughts on this.

billythekid
02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
i mulched 2 foot high field grass with my 10424 once i got the governor sorted out. i like the machine

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
i mulched 2 foot high field grass with my 10424 once i got the governor sorted out. i like the machine

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!