PDA

View Full Version : Gator Diesel Glow Plugs???

htr4
02-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Any chance anyone has a cross reference for a 6x4 Diesel gator on glow plugs? I've done some google searches and came up with a few, but nothing definitive. I have 2 out of 3 out...so it's a fun one to start cold! It's got the yanmar 3 cyl in it. Thanks a ton!! The local deere dealership wants $75 a piece for them and my old Ford truck's are $7.99 a piece! Seems like someone's making some money here, and it's not me! Thanks ahead of time! :)

ecurbthims
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
get the engine model # ,then do a google search ,or try the ngt catalogue [its a division of ngk spark plugs] ,but the jap ones I have dealt with are usually a little more expensive .

StihlMechanic
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Glow plugs almost never go bad, and 2 at once is even rarer. But glow plugs are the first thing replaced for some reason.

betmr
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
My first guess is, the glow plug relay.

ecurbthims
02-27-2012, 02:48 PM
using ether improperly or cycling the glow plugs multiple times will shorten the life of the plugs ,but like anything else sometimes they just fail .To test them you just check for continuity between the terminal and ground ,simple enough a geico caveman can do it .

htr4
03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Ok, so found a cross for anyone looking. NGK Y103v is a direct replacement. I figured for $7 a plug, it was a lot cheaper and worth a shot. I had two bad, tested bad, and didnt heat at all. Whoever had this before didnt do much maintenance on it at all. And yes, glow plugs are easy to test...either resistance or just put power to them and see if they turn red. Thanks for the help. Now we start from dead cold at 15*f. :)

fixer67
03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Glow plugs are over used. I see it at the shop all the time. No mater how hot it is or how long the engine has been running they always use the glow plugs for at least 15 to 20 seconds. If the weather is warm like 75 or 80 I can start a Diesel as fast as a gas if not faster and never use the glow plugs. When I start a diesel I first try without the glow plugs and if it does not start in 2 seconds then I use them but then only a few seconds. I have people run a diesel for 2 or 3 hours then turn it off just for a few minutes in 90 plus heat and still use the glow plugs for up to 30 to 45 seconds. DUMB!!!! In fact from what I have seen using the glows plugs on a warm or hot engine in fact makes the engine take longer to start.

htr4
03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Agreed, however...when it's 25* outside and your equipment won't start, glow plugs are needed. I don't wait if it's been running all day...no need. However I see no merit that they start faster without waiting...unless you have a weak battery and the glow plugs drain it the rest of the way.