PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs Toro Aerator

weeble67
02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Like a lot of LCO's out there I have been following the Lawn Solutions buyout by Exmark. I was looking at the Lawn Solutions aerator and then when Toro bought them so I kept waiting.

Now Exmark and Toro have released their aerators. I'm geared towards the ride on. My current aerator is a Ryan Lawnaire V that has more than paid for it's self.

My question, has anyone noticed any differences in the Toro or Emark ride on aerators? I am gearing up for what I predict as my largest aerating and over-seeding years. So I'm chomping at the bit to order one, yet scared to buy a first year product.

Anyone out there already order theirs? If so what did you order and what made you decide on that?

Thanks,

Chris

docjones
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Although I could be wrong here, I don't believe Toro is offering the 24" dual hydro walk behind aerator. They are only offering the 21" single hydro. Exmark is offering all 3 aerators. I don't know if Toro is selling the ride on either.

djagusch
02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Although I could be wrong here, I don't believe Toro is offering the 24" dual hydro walk behind aerator. They are only offering the 21" single hydro. Exmark is offering all 3 aerators. I don't know if Toro is selling the ride on either.

They had a ride on with a toro badge on it in jan at the mn green expo.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
yes they are both selling the stand on...i'm 99% sure they are selling for $8,999...they DO qualify for the fleet discount...my dealer said he was getting theirs in around march 15th...i'm sure there are small differences in the two "different" companies just like their stand on mowers (vantage/grandstand) but all in all they are pretty much the same machine

weeble67
02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
I run Exmark mowers, but am really unsure if the Exmark Aerator is worth the extra change. I sure wish I could see the machines in action. I want to order one so bad, but am just a bit passive. I know they are both selling the 30" ride on, they both look alike. I was unsure if anyone has seen both and can say the reasons they prefer one over the other.

TruSomethingOrOther
02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I have not tried out either ride on (exmark or toro), but have been comparing the two for a little bit and the Exmark seems like a better unit. The toro looks cheap. If you compare the LS and the Exmark side by side, it's double vision.

weeble67
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I was all ready to buy a LS and then when the buyout took place I held off as I know there were a few LCO's on here with service issues, or concerns. I keep drooling I really want to buy one. I am ready to park the Ryan and ride on my new one. Just shy due to first year production issues and that is a chunk of change to throw out.

RodneyK
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Pulled the trigger on the Toro ride-on yesterday. Pretty much a Toro shop so hopefully it is not a piece of crap while the Exmark isn't. Since this design has more or less been produced before I am hoping that there are not first year issues. We shall see!

weeble67
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey RodneyK what shop in Fort Wayne did you buy it from? They have it in stock or do you have to wait? I'm eager to hear what you think of it.

RodneyK
03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Bought it from More Farm Store in Columbia City, IN. I am not sure when I will take delivery. Production has been delayed. I think it might ship around 3/17.

The dealer was going to have a unit from Toro at the Fort Wayne Home and Garden Show this past Friday. Not sure if it will still be there 3/4 which is the last day of the show.

weeble67
03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I would make a trip to the show if I knew it was going to be there. I'm eager to hear your review on it.

LupineLandscaping
04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Any of you guys having issues with the Toro or Exmark stand on aerators yet? We are having some problems with leaking hydro fluid (told this is due to factory overfill) and belts breaking. We are told the belts are breaking because the idler pulley rubs another. Please post if you have issues so we can make this a more reliable machine.

Thanks,
Steve

RodneyK
04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
In another thread they talked about hydro belts breaking on the Exmark.

I have the Toro and a friend used it today which was its first time out. He said it was leaking fluid from the hydro res. cap and thought it was a little loose. Where are you seeing it leak at? What are we supposed to do?

Steve, do you have the Toro or Exmark not that that even makes a difference...

pikewillis1
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
You guys do know that Toro owns Exmark. The Toro/Exmark aerators are excaclty the same minus decals and paint.

jbturf
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
so i inquired at dealer about the 21"
price qouted 3599, a bit more than i expected but not too bad,
and then qouted 150 per additional weight- up to 3,

this sounds to steep for a weight, can this be right?

any one purchased the weights?

Rick13
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I've had my ExMark 30" Riding Aerator for over a month. I had one leak, fitting wasn't tight and it was leaking from the psi pressure gage. Otherwise it's been pretty rock solid!

You can not do a zero turn with your tines down...this is what's causing most of the people who own a rider their problems. If the tines are down...it will start to make a click/creaking noise...and you don't want to continue driving it this way.

I will make a boarder just like mowing...make two to three passes and then start aerating back and forth. When I enter into my boarder area...I will release my tines pressure pedal, slow down, make my turn with the tines up since I'm not pressing the pedal anymore. Turn, and then step back on the tines pressure pedal and run back to the other end of the yard. And just keep repeating this process until I'm done.

When I come to a tree, I will divide the tree into six to eight straight passes. Each pass I will get close to the tree trunk, but each straight line I will start making a boarder around the tree with each pass. Back up, and make another pass until I've made my way all the way around a tree...so I will end up with a 4 to 6 foot boarder around the tree when I'm done. So when I come toward the tree, I've worked my way around it so I don't have to worry about missing any areas.

And then, that the end of each day...I will clean my tines and check my belts and chains to make sure everything is ok. So far no problems.

Hope this helps the guys who are having problems.