PDA

View Full Version : pick up truck ramp????

ashs inc
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I have picked up several small residential yards. My guys always have problem driving with a trailer. So i remember seeing some pick up trucks with ramps that fold up or i remember seeing a ford ranger with some sort of bed extender with ramp built on. does any body have any ideas?
thanks

orangemower
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Google tailgate ramps and you'll have a list of sites to check out.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Why are your guys having trouble driving a trailer? How big is it? Can't be too big if all the stuff on your trailer would also fit in a truck bed. Or, are the customer's lawns so small that there's not enough room to park a truck & trailer out front? Truck ramps are a cool idea, but they're not very practical. First off, one of those ramps costs more than a good used trailer. Loading/unloading time, and getting stuff out of a pickup bed is a pain and takes longer vs a trailer. Also, if all the equipment is in the truck bed, where do throw all the yard waste? You'd have to leave the yard waste at the customer's house which doesn't look good. Also, you'd waste a lot of time bagging it up. I know you didn't ask for opinions on working out of a truck bed but I'm just trying to save you from a decision you may regret. The reason why you can't find any decent truck bed ramps for sale online is because that setup just doesn't cut it

Salcido Lawn
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
All of my crews use trucks with a ramp on the back. The fuel savings in incredible! On 1 truck alone, I am saving $100 a WEEK in fuel!! I only use a trailer to haul my John Deere 1600 (batwing mower). I'll try to upload pics later.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
All of my crews use trucks with a ramp on the back. The fuel savings in incredible! On 1 truck alone, I am saving $100 a WEEK in fuel!! I only use a trailer to haul my John Deere 1600 (batwing mower). I'll try to upload pics later.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think ashs wants to know where you got your ramp and what you paid for it and I'd like to know what do you do with all the yard waste?

ashs inc
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
yeah we use a f150 extended cab and a 12 foot trailer. the problem comes in where we pull up and not block the house were cutting drive way but when they drop the gate it blocks the other houses drive way. Just thought one day a week load up one walk behind in the back of truck 2 weed trimmers edger and blower and take care of these lots. just not sure the best way of getting a 36 inch walk behind in back of truck.

Salcido Lawn
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
When I said that I use truck beds, I should have clarified. I use flat bed trucks. One is an 8' bed, 12' bed 16' bed & a 20' bed. As far as the ramps go, I looked around at the different options that were available, and they were just too expensive!! So I bought a welder, taught myself how to weld & made my own ramps. It costs me about $500 in metal + my own time. Compared to $2,500 from a welding shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

ashs inc
02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
would love to see pics of them

RLS24
02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
This is how I started mowing lawns a few years back:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154958&stc=1&d=1247524254

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11555_701174977718_15714527_40050941_6028461_n.jpg

It was a great setup at the time, but once I got a trailer I never looked back. I was able to get my 48" WB and a 21" in there, in the one pic it looks like there is a lot of extra space but trust me it was all a tight fit. That ramp was built like freekin rock though, better than the ramp on my actual trailer! It was nice cuz when it was unfolded it had that beaver-tail effect to it and it also had a little gas shock like on a car hood that you could fold it with 2 fingers. It just slid into the hitch and then rested on the tailgate. It was adjustable to fit just about anything. My only complaint was you HAD to leave the tailgate down all the time, and 1 person could not take the thing on and of alone, that was at least a 2 person job cut the thing was awkward to move and VERY heavy. As far as the whole process is with mowing with a rig like this, it's more difficult than you'd think. You can't bag anything because theres no room for a bag or to dump grass, and as dumb as this sounds, it gets rather tiring walking up and down that ramp (which is rather steep) all day and climbing over stuff to get equipment out. Having racks on the side of a trailer where you can just walk up to it on ground level and get what you need rather than climbing in and out of a truck is something you wouldnt think about. When I first started and I was only cutting like 15 lawns a week, it worked great. But from there on out like I said I got a trailer and never looked back.

Salcido Lawn
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Here are a few pics. The Chevy has an 8' bed (Not ideal, 12' & longer is needed) The Ford is a 12' bed.

Salcido Lawn
02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I really like the Izuzu NPR Flatbed, it has an 18' bed with a 4.5' dovetail & a 6' ramp. The Izuzu Box truck is my favorite, it is 20' long, with a 2' dovetail & a 7' ramp. That ramp was my latest and best. The others that I have built are adequate, but not quite what I wanted. The pickup is a picture that I found, I like the design of the ramp (not of the weedeater racks).

Salcido Lawn
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
I'll keep trying to upload pics of the inside of my box truck. The website won't allow me to.

Salcido Lawn
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
My box truck was an old bread truck, with a side door. My guys LOVE this side door, it is soooooooo much faster to grab a weedeater or blower, rather than going through the back door and climbing over the mowers to get to the small equipment.

CutterCutter
02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
This is how I started mowing lawns a few years back:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154958&stc=1&d=1247524254

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11555_701174977718_15714527_40050941_6028461_n.jpg

It was a great setup at the time, but once I got a trailer I never looked back. I was able to get my 48" WB and a 21" in there, in the one pic it looks like there is a lot of extra space but trust me it was all a tight fit. That ramp was built like freekin rock though, better than the ramp on my actual trailer! It was nice cuz when it was unfolded it had that beaver-tail effect to it and it also had a little gas shock like on a car hood that you could fold it with 2 fingers. It just slid into the hitch and then rested on the tailgate. It was adjustable to fit just about anything. My only complaint was you HAD to leave the tailgate down all the time, and 1 person could not take the thing on and of alone, that was at least a 2 person job cut the thing was awkward to move and VERY heavy. As far as the whole process is with mowing with a rig like this, it's more difficult than you'd think. You can't bag anything because theres no room for a bag or to dump grass, and as dumb as this sounds, it gets rather tiring walking up and down that ramp (which is rather steep) all day and climbing over stuff to get equipment out. Having racks on the side of a trailer where you can just walk up to it on ground level and get what you need rather than climbing in and out of a truck is something you wouldnt think about. When I first started and I was only cutting like 15 lawns a week, it worked great. But from there on out like I said I got a trailer and never looked back.

Have to agree.

When I started I would drive a lawn tractor up into the back of a pickup truck on two 2 x 12 boards. A lot of work several times a day and dangerous too.

Then I got an open 6 x 10 trailer and thought I was in heaven. There are precious few places I can't get into and out of. I discovered that in a pinch I could simply unload and unhook the trailer, turn the truck around, reattach the trailer and easily get out of a tight spot.

I'm going to move up to a larger enclosed trailer this year. For the security from theft of equipment and the ability to put a large ad on the side. I will also be able to store the equipment in the trailer during the winter and free up space in the garage.

Walker Lawn & Landscaping
02-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Have to agree.

When I started I would drive a lawn tractor up into the back of a pickup truck on two 2 x 12 boards. A lot of work several times a day and dangerous too.

Then I got an open 6 x 10 trailer and thought I was in heaven. There are precious few places I can't get into and out of. I discovered that in a pinch I could simply unload and unhook the trailer, turn the truck around, reattach the trailer and easily get out of a tight spot.

I'm going to move up to a larger enclosed trailer this year. For the security from theft of equipment and the ability to put a large ad on the side. I will also be able to store the equipment in the trailer during the winter and free up space in the garage.

This brings to mind my first year, bought a used lesco 48" walk behind belt drive. found out loading it into the back of a Chevy 3500HD dump truck was far from practical. i had two 2x6x10 foot boards as ramps to the bed that was a good 5 foot from the ground... bad idea! did it for most of the year. i looked ridiculous. and if i got caught in the rain...400lb lawn ornament. just not a good image, very time consuming, VERRY EXHAUSTING!

i had a 16' landscape trailer by the end of the year

Salcido Lawn
03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
You could do this?! I saw this car today and had to take a picture. It brings back old memories!

agent walker
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
where did you get the 20ft box truck? is it diesel? and hd? what year and miles and how much did you give for it? Thats what i've been looking for for a looonng time.

Salcido Lawn
03-06-2012, 11:32 PM
It's an old bread truck, I found it in Dallas, TX. It's a 1997, with a gas engine (I wish it was a diesel though) I think I got a good deal though. It has about 140k miles on it. The previous owner put a new motor and a new transmission in it a year before I bought it. I paid $4,000 & I built the gate myself. It cost me about $400 in metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

shepoutside
04-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Love my ramp setup, tow trailer with for condo runs, 2 days, run like this ( 2-33") rest of the time!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/shepoutside/truckrack010-1.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/shepoutside/truckrack087.jpg