PDA

View Full Version : 48 inch Grandstand or 52 in Vantage

Norway11
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Team:

I found and put a deposit on a 52 Vantage with a 20hp Kaw. I also found a 48 inch Grandstand with a 23 but it is alot more money.

We do smaller residential yards and have a 36 inch walk behind for gates. The price for the Vantage is very attractive. Is the Grandstand worth the extra money.

Will we notice much difference between the 48 and 52 decks. We have trees and beds to get around. Fortunately the yard with the most trees has them trimmed high. Will the bigger 52 help around the beds.

The Toro has the variable speed control which changes drive tire resoponse without limiting the travel of the controls. Does the Vantage also have this?

Thanks for replying.

rywnygc
02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
I demoed a 52" Grandstand last summer and it was amazing. Best mower I have ever used. Very comfortable, quick, easy operation and did well on the hill behind my house. I plan on buying one in April.

I currently use WB's. I am strictly residential and most of my properties are 1/4 to 1/2 acre. My own lawn is 2 1/2 acres and I mowed it in 42 minutes with the grandstand. Another plus for me is the platform. It absorbs a lot of the shock. My right ankle is permanently broken and at the end of the day with my WB's, it usually locks up within an hour or two of me getting home.

I have used a variety of mowers in my career, including Danes, Wrights, Scags, Ferris' and Kubotas. I really enjoyed the Toro Grandstand. I highly recommend getting one to demo and judge for yourself.

yardguy28
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
i'm surprised in your area they aren't similar in price.

toro owns exmark so the grandstand and vantage should be similar in price for there respective decks.

i own a 52" grandstand. in the future i think i will look at the vantage for a couple reasons. the anti scalp wheels on the deck, the adjustable front bar and the larger control levers.

if toro doesn't incorporate those features into theres by the time i need a new mower.

Norway11
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
The Vantage I'm looking at is yeard old and does not have wheels on the deck. Can they be added? Hoe about lights?

Barrett Landscaping
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
grandstands also had alot of recalls on them that if not covered under warrenty add up fast. 2009 was one of the problem years i know. i have a vantage and aside from getting a hell of a deal on it, exmark has rods instead of wires for the steering controls. heard people not liking the cables cuz its hard to adjust. lastly, when i was looking into the variable control or whatever, many people said that they never really used or needed it. when it comes down to it though both mowers are proven money makers.

SDLandscapes VT
02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I like the cut quality of the ultracut on the vantage better than the turbo force on the toro

fobaum
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I've used a 48 lazer ultra cut and now have a 60'' grandstand(2011) the turbo

force deck(on the toro) has an adjustable baffle which does help when

needed, wet or very tall grass/weeds i put it on setting C , on setting A with

the baffle more closed IMO cuts just as good if not better than the ultra cut.