PDA

View Full Version : Grandstand Variable Speed Control

Norway11
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
The Toro Grandstand has the variable speed control which changes drive tire resoponse without limiting the travel of the controls. Does the Exmark Vantage also have this?

Are the controls - Throttle, choke, etc the same between the machines.

We demoed the Toro but will probably get the Vantage due to price.

Thanks!

yardguy28
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
the older grandstands had this variable speed control but the newer ones do not.

my 09 grandstand had it until my control levers started to "stiffen" up and i took it to the dealer to fix it and a week later it came back with the updated system which has no variable speed control.

the vantage has the front stationary bar movable to set how far forward you can push the control levers to control the speed. a nice feature i hope toro will use in the future.

joemower
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
The Toro Grandstand has the variable speed control which changes drive tire resoponse without limiting the travel of the controls. Does the Exmark Vantage also have this?

Are the controls - Throttle, choke, etc the same between the machines.

We demoed the Toro but will probably get the Vantage due to price.

Thanks!

Toro did away with their variable speed control on there 2011 and later models which is a good thing. The control did nothing but complicate things and cause problems. I have both the old and new style GS's and believe me you want the 2011 or newer models. As between the Exmark vs Toro I feel the Toro has a nicer deck and more comfortable controls. Both are good machines so try them both and get the one that fits your needs best.

yardguy28
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
actually they made the change in 2010........

technicality though

grassman177
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
ours stil lhad them at the beginnig of 2011, from late model 2010s. they caused poor steering and very stiff controls. they were completely removed and changed to a much simpler better direct cable.

lawnkingforever
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I never really used the speed control except when I first bought the mower to help get used to it. In fact that is the only benefit I see in it, is to slow the machine down to train a new user. These Grandstands handle extremely well once you get the hang of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I never really used the speed control except when I first bought the mower to help get used to it. In fact that is the only benefit I see in it, is to slow the machine down to train a new user. These Grandstands handle extremely well once you get the hang of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah i never used it when i had it either......

they removed it when my comtrol levera started to "stiffen" up and i had to have it repaired......they just re did the whole system......

the vantage has the front stationary bar adjustable which is a nice feature. hopfully toro will add that to theres or i might consider the vantage next time. i also like how the control levers are fatter on the vantage.