PDA

View Full Version : Vantage CuT Quality

Norway11
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Folks:

I'm in the process of purchasing a 20hp Vantage with a 52 inch deck. I understand it is a little underpowered and we may have to go slower in thick or wet grass, but will the cut quality be as good as a23/24 hp?

We are fine going slow but do not want to give a quality cut.

integrityman
03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
bump for mutual interest.....

yardguy28
03-03-2012, 08:28 PM
don't know about the horse power but the quality should be as good as all other exmarks.

GMLC
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Exmark is known to have one of the best cuts in dry conditions. I don't think hp will change that.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
dry conditions???

i get very decent cuts in wet conditions with my exmarks as well......

GMLC
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
We get some clumping in KBG/fescue up here when wet. In my opinion in cool season grasses the ultra cut has the best cut when dry. Scag velocity has the best cut when wet.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
i'm cutting the same and no clumping.

GMLC
03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Must be magic!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
are you mulching cause that will cause clumping. but thats with any mower.

GMLC
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Not mulching. It's caused by the size of the discharge opening of the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Don't get me wrong. The only two mowers I trust 100 percent are exmark and scag. I'm just spliting hairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I ran a 2011 52 vantage with a 24hp engine. As much as I loved the machine, the cut was horrible. I had to cut it a second time which cleaned up the cut very well. I demoed it for a day in the month of October under dry easy cutting conditions with under 1" of grass being cut down. Not impressed!

MTenterprises
03-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I ran a 2011 52 vantage with a 24hp engine. As much as I loved the machine, the cut was horrible. I had to cut it a second time which cleaned up the cut very well. I demoed it for a day in the month of October under dry easy cutting conditions with under 1" of grass being cut down. Not impressed!

What was the blade condition. I recently demoed the vantage 48 with the 20hp and although I didn't like the machine as a whole, the cut was great.

Puddle of Oil
03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
The blade looked fine. It cut the grass without ripping it off. I thought about maybe putting gator high lifts on to see if that would make a difference. It handled tall grass very well though, just not a good finishing cut. Maybe ill bring my set of blades and see if its any better.

soloscaperman
03-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a 2008 Exmark Lazer with the Tri vantage deck and my honest opinion stay away from it if your doing Northern grass. Most of my customer's in CT have treated lawns with irrigation ande the Tri vantage decks loves to collect grass under the deck.

The reason why they collect grass is the shallow deck paired up with a small outlet which is small. When you have a shallow deck with grass build up there is even less vacuum!!! This means less suction and uneven less grass cut. Don't get me wrong it cuts good in normal conditions but I am very picky when it comes to mowing and I have really good eye sight. I bought mine since it was a left over model for a great deal! To fix the problem you have to shave the outlet of the deck and keep the blades and deck clean!

It's a 27HP Kohler and I think it's over kill for a 52 Trivantage. The good part is it's VERY LIGHT WEIGHT and paired with huge tires you will see why :-)

fredscag
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
what does shave the outlet mean?

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM

as soon as you find out let me know......

GMLC
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Enlarging the discharge opening of the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Enlarging the discharge opening of the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would never make any altercations like that to my equipment.

just add accessories like baggers, stripe kits and weights. whatever accessories the manufacture offers.

GMLC
03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

just add accessories like baggers, stripe kits and weights. whatever accessories the manufacture offers.

I wouldn't either.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
besides voiding any warrenties I would worry about the quality of cut it would provide.

mower manufacturers made there equipment the way they did for a reason. welding this on, or cutting that off may not be the best thing.

I prefer to elimate as many variables as I can each day to avoid bad cuts. I leave the mower in factory condition, sharp blades every day and clean the deck every day. this eliminates a lot of "what's wrong" if a bad cut does happen.

if I altered the equipment in any way, shape or form that would be a question left to ask if a bad cut did occur.

Lawnut101
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
I think it will leave a good cut after. My 24hp is definitely overpowered.

soloscaperman
03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
besides voiding any warrenties I would worry about the quality of cut it would provide.

mower manufacturers made there equipment the way they did for a reason. welding this on, or cutting that off may not be the best thing.

I prefer to elimate as many variables as I can each day to avoid bad cuts. I leave the mower in factory condition, sharp blades every day and clean the deck every day. this eliminates a lot of "what's wrong" if a bad cut does happen.

if I altered the equipment in any way, shape or form that would be a question left to ask if a bad cut did occur.

I would have to disagree..... There is a LCO on here that is from CT that has the Triton deck. Triton decks are the worse in Northern grass and all he did was remove the baffles which took him awhile. He now claims it's the best deck he has ever used. Everyone I know knows that Triton is a bad word in the Landscaping dictionary lol. I talked to one of the shops and he has had so many complaints with that deck but just some modifying it would fix the problem. From what I hear they shoot out clumps and collect a lot of grass clippings.

SDLandscapes VT
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a friend in MI who has a 46" or 48" triton on a Lazer HP frame....worst cut ever even in dry dry conditions. I used to have a 52" HP with the trivantage and it did okay except bagging. I now have 2 TTHP 48" with Ultracut 3 and they cut fabulously under all conditions except wringing wet--the vacuum keeps the clipping under the deck when wet and they get all clogged up. Depends on how picky you are about QOC

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I would have to disagree..... There is a LCO on here that is from CT that has the Triton deck. Triton decks are the worse in Northern grass and all he did was remove the baffles which took him awhile. He now claims it's the best deck he has ever used. Everyone I know knows that Triton is a bad word in the Landscaping dictionary lol. I talked to one of the shops and he has had so many complaints with that deck but just some modifying it would fix the problem. From what I hear they shoot out clumps and collect a lot of grass clippings.

well I'll have to update my landscaping dictionary and spread the word cause in the tall fescue and kentucky blue I cut, triton is not a bad word.

still I would never modify a deck like that or recommend it. the warranty is now void on that LCO's mower.

I would rather trash the mower and find one that worked unmodified rather than modify an exsiting one.

SDLandscapes VT
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
hey it wasn't too many years ago hustler gave dealers a pattern to make modifications to their decks and it does make a huge difference--I had a deck opened up--dealer did it per manufacturers specs

fredscag
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
the type of blade you use makes a huge difference too

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
well if it is manufacturer recommended that is a diff story. I'd be all for it if the manufacturer was backing it.

but I'm talking about people who just do there own mods based on what they think will work.

not to mention I don't have enough knowledge of how decks are made the way they are to even begin to know what to alter if I did have quality problems.

mtmower
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM

You would if you owned the old standard deck Hustler SZ. Manufacturer actually sent out a bulletin giving all the dimensions, weld points, and holes to redrill. Helped out quite a bit back in the day. ** sorry to double up on comment. Hadn't read above thread yet. Have a friend in central Ohio running Exs for last 15 years. He didn't care for the tri and went back with all Ultras. He side discharges 95% of the time.

yardguy28
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM
You would if you owned the old standard deck Hustler SZ. Manufacturer actually sent out a bulletin giving all the dimensions, weld points, and holes to redrill. Helped out quite a bit back in the day. ** sorry to double up on comment. Hadn't read above thread yet. Have a friend in central Ohio running Exs for last 15 years. He didn't care for the tri and went back with all Ultras. He side discharges 95% of the time.

honestly I doubt even then I would have.

I don't have welding skills and I'm not interested in putting holes in my deck any more than I have to.

I'd either not do it at all or let the dealer or someone else tackle it.

MJB
03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a friend in MI who has a 46" or 48" triton on a Lazer HP frame....worst cut ever even in dry dry conditions. I used to have a 52" HP with the trivantage and it did okay except bagging. I now have 2 TTHP 48" with Ultracut 3 and they cut fabulously under all conditions except wringing wet--the vacuum keeps the clipping under the deck when wet and they get all clogged up. Depends on how picky you are about QOC

There is very little difference between the Utracut and TriVantage decks. I have a 1999 TriVantage deck and an 2008 Ultra cut deck both 60" decks. They use the same mulching kit, and measure the same depth, only difference is the spindles. Not sure about the Ultracut 3 decks.

Maybe the smaller deck has more lift or something.