PDA

View Full Version : Insane deal on new F250 (Was going to buy a Chevy)

Barkleymut
12-03-2002, 12:40 PM
OK, yall kinda talked me into a Ford. But the clincher was this deal. I hope to go and pick it up tomorrow if they give me a decent price on my 98 Ram 1500 that I will be trading in.

$19,500 which includes the destination fee! I only have to pay for tax, title, and tags!
2003 F250
Oxford White
Medium flint cloth/vinyl interior Bench Seat
XL Trim
Trailer Towing Package
Passenger Airbag
AM/FM Stereo with Clock
5.4L V8 engine
6 Speed Manual Transmission
235/85/16 All Season Tires
3.73 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
Air Conditioning
Trans Power Take Off Provision

I can get the A/T for "just a little more" according to the salesman. I would lose the Lim. Slip, but the price would only be a couple hundred bucks higher. My Dodge is an auto and I like it. Anyone have any regrets going with a stick work truck? Yes, I already know how to drive a stick.
This is way below invoice. Even with the current rebates. Whaddya think? Nothing like new truck fever.

Tvov
12-03-2002, 01:07 PM
Personally, I am tired of manuals, and will probably never buy a manual again. Why would you "lose" the limited slip if you got the automatic? I know plenty of guys who have F250s that are automatic with limited slip (at least, as far as I know).

Check the tow rating. Usually the automatic will have a substantially higher tow rating (sometimes almost double!) than the manual. This in itself is usually worth it to get the automatic.

The last couple of years I have run into the problem of employees who have never driven manual, a big PITA.

Also, you will probably have a higher resale value with the automatic.

If you couldn't tell, my vote is for automatic!

Brickman
12-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Holy cow that is a smokin deal. I paid $10,000 more than that for a diesel 2000. Plus all the damn interest.

Good for you man. Ford RULES :drinkup:

On the auto I always wished for one when I was going thru town and hit every light at red. I got 135K on my 6spd. This is probably the same trans that the PS uses. You should be in good shape trans wise for a long time.

Tvov I have never heard or seen double the tow rating for an auto. That doesn't make any sense for what ever manufactor does that. I can run over juicer trans guys with my 6spd.

Randy J
12-03-2002, 01:26 PM
I'd say buy it! Sounds like a good deal. I think the manual transmission would be better for pulling a trailer, but the auto is much more convenient. And I do think the autos typically have a higher tow rating than the manuals for some reason. Though, as Brickman said, a manual will outperform an automatic when towing. I would hate to lose the limited slip also.

Randy

Brickman
12-03-2002, 01:32 PM
I just looked in my 02 Ford RV and trailer towing guide. The juicer only makes 100 lbs dif in some apps. Most apps stay the same, a few the auto gives 100 lbs more.
Certainly not enough to make any difference. At least not to me. I am running over loaded all the time.

The 100 lbs difference is in conventional towing. When you go to 5th wheel there is up to 500 lbs difference in favor of the auto. It doesn't make any sense to load an auto heavier than the manual. We have talked about the autos going out in the Dodges and Fords. Even Chebies.

Keith
12-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Alright then! Now we're talking Ford trucks :) Go to Fordvehicles and build the truck and see what kind of price you come up with. Here is a site to check local inventory and X Plan prices. http://www2.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/AXZPlan.jsp?referrer=AXZ&PlanType=X&ReferrerURL=FordVehiclePrograms Tell me if it does not work :o

Keep in mind, if you do not qualify for X Plan you can't get it, but...those prices are very close to invoice so you can get some idea where you stand. In some cases invoice may be slightly less. I don't know about your area, but here there is a $1500 rebate. You can check Fordvehicles.com to see your local incentives. I am quite sure the price you mentioned is a little above invoice and includes the rebate.

Also consided you could get the automatic and get the limited-slip, but it will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $650 over the 6 speed. Also remember a V10 could be had for less than $600 over that :p Make sure you want a regular cab before you buy. For another $2000 you could get a super cab :D

Mowin4cash
12-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Hey Barkleymut, I bet you could find an even better deal than that. I bought my '00 2500 Chevy, 350 gas / auto, air, in '01 for $17,200.00. I did, however, travel from Richmond to a Winston-Salem dealer though to get it.

odin
12-03-2002, 04:05 PM
With my gm discount and rebates i can get a chevy 2500 with everything your getting plus a bigger motor and gvwr then your getting ,climate control ,4 wheel antilock brakes,a year of on star and anti theft control for 18990.
I decided to get pontiac car instead of truck ,my trailblazer does all right for my hunting and fishing .And if i need a boat i use my old mans truck.

odin
12-03-2002, 04:08 PM
o yeah beware both standard gas engines , the 5.4 ford and 6.0 chevy heavy duty have a history of haveing startup knock .

Randy J
12-03-2002, 07:59 PM
I hadn't heard of any knocking in Ford engines. I knew about the piston slap in the GM 6.0, but thought they had that fixed?

Randy

odin
12-03-2002, 08:29 PM
randy j

Also ford had problem for a while with blown head gaskit's on that motor.
yeah the 6.0 might be fixed and i hope it is but if you are one of the ones who got the piston slap it aint fixed.
Im still leary of the 6.0 thats one of the reasons i decided to get a car.Im gonna wait a year let get the bugs out.
Damn that piece of **** replaces one of the best gas engines ever made the 350.

GreginAlaska
12-03-2002, 09:56 PM
I always thought it was weird that the newer Fords have more tow capacity rating on an auto. I wonder if it has something to do with the auto shifting when it is supposed to?
Doesn't make sense that they would be stronger than a manual...but maybe they are?

dlandscaping
12-03-2002, 10:15 PM
Invoice is close to 20k on that truck. Its a bareboned work truck. With the rebates and such offered it close to 19k not an "insane" deal. Do you really want to spend all that $$ for something you wont be comfortable with when your finances are better like an XLT package, f350, v10 or psd, supercab etc. Being in the truck market myself i know there are a lot of decisions to make and the economy is not all that swell so you can get what you want for a reasonable amount of $$.

Barkleymut
12-03-2002, 10:42 PM
Finances won't be better for 29 years when my new house is paid off. Well maybe in 22 years after my 2 yr old girl and newborn son are done with college and making money on their own. Or maybe when my wife goes back to work in 15-20 years. Until then I will have to deal with the not so comfortable vinyl seat. Heck all I listen to in my current truck is AM/FM. And I don't want to even try to recycle the 75 gallons of oil that the diesels use. They give me a hard enough time at the county dump for bringing in 7 or 8 gallons at a time. I guess they want you to dump it in the backyard so we can all drink it in a couple years. It does seem like Ford would put just a couple of nice touches on the XL interior. But it will serve the purpose- Work Truck. And I just ran the numbers on Edmunds.com. It is $262 below invoice after you factor in the $1500 rebate. I just wish I could find a 2002 model they have a $2500 rebate, but the only one they had was a funky red color. Any disadvantages on the 2002???? Any big upgrades to the engine or trannies for 2003???

Brickman
12-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Barkley I don't keep up much with the gasser market. I do know the PSD got a HP and torque numbers boost for each year beginning with 99. Far as I know the same trans. The only good thing with buying a 03 over 02 is the 03s should have less bugs in them.

Being in the truck market myself i know there are a lot of decisions to make
dlandscaping for me there wasn't that much of a decision to make. I knew what I wanted, and didn't want. First of all, ALL that I looked at were Fords. Than I had to have PSD, 3/4 ton, AC, power widows, locks. When I found a color I liked I was set. Maybe not every body is that easily satisfied.

dlandscaping
12-03-2002, 11:12 PM
Brickman
Crewcab, supercab, reg cab. Truck for plowing so either 6.75ft bed or reg cab 8ft bed. Diesel or v10 three dealers have talked me out of diesel and if diesel the 6.0 or 7.3. I know i want a 350 with plow prep with xlt styling and auto tranny and thats about it right now. Ive got time but with the early snow i should have been doing this before hand. I can also get the X pricing so i may spring for such things as lariet or sport packages too.

Keith
12-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Barkleymut, the only thing to consider with the 2003 is...it's a year newer :cool: No big upgrades. With a lot of those sites like Edmunds, they don't factor in FDAF charges, which can be upwards of $300. Try to talk them down another few hundred though. I bet you can :)

Randy J
12-04-2002, 09:51 AM
Hey Barkleymut, diesels aren't for everyone, so don't sweat it if you don't want one. However, there are some serious advantages. First an incredible fuel savings, especially when pulling a trailer. Second, much longer life (even for the PSD;) ). Third, better resale value. As for the recycling of the oil, just take your used oil to a Walmart or Jiffy Lube. That's what I do with mine. I even took the oil from my Turkey fryer there. But if you want gas, I think the 5.4 would be a fine engine. I'd go with the '02 if you can find one. Money saved is money saved. I agree with you on the interior appointments. I want plain jane, easy to clean interior on a work truck.
Good luck with the new truck.
Randy

lee b
12-04-2002, 11:58 PM
The 5.4 is a really good engine, pulls strong and is easy on gas {for a Ford}. I've been getting 17 to 18 mpg regular driving, 11 to 12 mpg pulling a 16' utility trailer with my z and other stuff on it. Never strained even pulling my 16' stock trailer loaded with cows, which is a pretty good load. I don't know how much your pulling, but I didn't see any need for a diesel just to pull a couple of mowers around with. I got a new 2002 F150 4x4 XLT extended cab, loaded for $23500.00. Does what I need it to do very well. Good luck with your purchase, I don't think you'll regret getting the Ford.

scagman
12-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Are you talkin the lightduty F-250 that looks similar to the F-150, or are you talkin the superduty. Theres a huge difference between the two. If you are talking about the superduty. I have the identical truck, very solid rig, the 5.4 is plenty for pullin mowin rigs around.

Keith
12-05-2002, 02:18 AM
It's been a few years since they made the F250 you are talking about. They are all Superduties now.

Roger
12-15-2002, 05:45 PM
I've been doing serious looking for a new pickup, perhaps much the same equipment that started this thread. I have considered only a Chev 2500HD or Ford 250SD. I've found it very difficult to find a "work truck" config -- everybody wants 'bells/whistles.' I do not want to pay. I now have a 1990 F-150, in-line six cylinder, manual transmission. I've had to put two $600 repairs into the clutch because of the high reverse gearing on the manual transmission. I have a landscape business, pulling a 3000# trailer. The reverse gearing in the 3/4T models is much better suited for trailering, therefore am not considering another 1/2T model.

Anybody have any insight on the matter of resale value of a regular cab vs. an extended cab? How about resale value of a manual vs auto transmission? My plan is for a regular cab, with manual transmission, but the resale in 3-5 years may be very small. I'm looking for the XL trim (Ford), or Base trim (Chev).

I followed the suggestion of the Ford link in one of the postings, finding inventory in the local area. Does anybody know of a similar link for Chev or GMC?

I've seen posts above, plus threads in this forum, dealing with the matter of poor engines, Chev 6000 Vortec and Ford 5.4L. These are the primary engines in both pickups of consideration. Should this issue still be of concern, or is either an acceptable choice at this point in time?

Any other insights to consider?
Thanks.

Tvov
12-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Brickman

Tvov I have never heard or seen double the tow rating for an auto. That doesn't make any sense for what ever manufactor does that. I can run over juicer trans guys with my 6spd.

I just dug out the owner's manuals for two of my trucks.

1993 Ranger 3.0 V-6 4x4
Manual: max tow -- 2,500 lbs
Automatic: max tow -- 4,000 lbs

1987 F-350 460ci (7.5L) V-8 4x2
Manual: max tow -- 11,500 lbs
Automatic: max tow -- 12,500 lbs

I think I had originally been confusing gross vehicle weight rating with the max tow rating,. These ratings also depend on exactly how the trucks are set up (the automatics especially are required to have transmission coolers). When I said the autos are almost double, I was thinking of my Ranger.

Even still, it is weird how much more the autos are rated for. I've talked to a few mechanics about this, and their opinion is that the manufacturers are worried about premature clutch wear on the manuals (especially by inexperienced drivers!). Except for the tranmissions, the trucks (of the same model) are equipped identically, same frame, brakes, springs, etc.

wilawns
12-16-2002, 03:34 AM
i bought a truck very similar to yours... its a 2001 f250 2wd with a 5 speed no a/c its just a work truck and a great one at that but sometimes i wish i could have gotten 4wd but it was not an option they had 2 like this that they had botten form ford for a huge discount they had going so i got it for 17500 with only nineteen miles on it so not bad for a 18 year old kid hey?

KirbysLawn
12-16-2002, 04:24 AM
Hey Andy...can you find a diesel for a little more?? Is it a crew cab?

Barkleymut
12-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Ray, it depends on your definition of a "little". It's about 5K more for the diesel. It is a regular cab. Wish I could have more but its gonna be tough to make the $400/month payments that this one will cost me.

HOMER
12-29-2002, 01:13 PM
I wish mine were $400.00:rolleyes: