PDA

View Full Version : Where do you run your business from?

edensgate7
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
I have ran mine from my personal property with a few outbuildings in the country since I started but have always kept things seperate business and personal wise as far as money, office space, fuel, etc. matters. How many of you guys out there thinnk this is a good idea and why? Same question for those who run theirs out of a separate property with a shop.

DSLND
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I just turned 19 so when I say I used to run from my house I really mean my mom's house. I had office set up in my room and had shop in her third stall garage. It was cool always having everything right there but it felt like I was always at work and I couldn't go home and relax because id say "well I've got billing that needs done or this needs greasing" and it was impossible to get away and if I did I felt like I was slacking.

Recently, I took the opportunity for a former used car lot with a 30x60 building with 30x30 heated garage with drains,etc and two offices and a full bath. Its perfect. Great exposure too. The location is the value in the property. Busy one way road with 15k + cars on average day. I've got a big lit sign as well as signage on the building. I was hesitant at first about dishing out the money for rent, but the publicity, professionalism and new clients it has led me too is unbelievable. I'm in our downtown and am slowly becoming part of comittees and groups for our town (chamber of commerce, etc). It was a great choice and when I go home at night, I go home and relax, and leave work at the shop.

I've got some pictures in my dslnd 2011 thread. Check it out. I've looked at a couple of other used car buildings and they are great for lco's because they r setup for meeting with clients, washing and repairing cars and normally are in ideal locations.

I'm lucky because I don't have kids or health insurance to pay for which leaves more money for opportunities like this but if you can, look for places like this.

I'm in the process of getting a bulk material supply going to save time from running to nursery every time.

Mitch
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Not everyone has remote properties that they already own, can afford to buy or pay to rent.

So I will ask why waste profits on unneeded expenses?

Though everyone would be wise to keep their personal and business finances separate. Their money must not just be in separate accounts but in different banks.

Gr8WhiteNorth
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
my main reason for purchasing land and building was capacity. we rapidly expanded with new trucks and equipment and quickly grew out of my backyard. i had a 1/2 acre lot in town with a separate 3 car garage that i used as our shop. 15 employees driving to work and parking in from of my neighbors homes and 24 hr snow clearing operations quickly made neighbors upset. i treated neighbors well by plowing and sanding our streets same day of big storms among other things, but this kind of thing only goes so far. we were way to big for a backayrd operation and needed to get an official and LEGAL location to run the business out of.

Doing this was a very good move. Suddenly we were on the radar for the big builders, etc. some of the customers that walked into our new office were not the type that would deal with a backyard business.

i hate to say it, but the move gave us more legitimacy inthe eyes of the general public. our sales reflected that.

Gr8WhiteNorth
02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
A lot of big firms that hire for lawns, snow, and landscape construction may be using public money or are responsible if some fly-by-night contractor doesn't show and it results in an interruption of business.

when this type of customer sees you have a brick and mortar location in a properly zoned commercial or industrial location, they may a sense that you are a more serious player than the guy running out of his garage.

StihlMechanic
02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
My sisters basement.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I run my business out of my really really tiny garage.

Gr8WhiteNorth
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Another thought- if your business model allows, the sisters basement might be all you need. I know some contractors just bid public tendors, store equimpent onsite, and make employees drive their own vehicles to the site. Thats a pretty lean business, but it works and would be hard to compete against. Employees can just pickup their checks after hours. Maybe even score some milk and cookies if sister is in a good mood!

BOSS LAWN 2343
02-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I have ran mine from my personal property with a few outbuildings in the country since I started but have always kept things seperate business and personal wise as far as money, office space, fuel, etc. matters. How many of you guys out there thinnk this is a good idea and why? Same question for those who run theirs out of a separate property with a shop.

Ran it out of my place since I started but the space is starting to close in on me. With the business growing and more equipment and vehicles, time to get a small shop. :weightlifter:

StihlMechanic
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Another thought- if your business model allows, the sisters basement might be all you need. I know some contractors just bid public tendors, store equimpent onsite, and make employees drive their own vehicles to the site. Thats a pretty lean business, but it works and would be hard to compete against. Employees can just pickup their checks after hours. Maybe even score some milk and cookies if sister is in a good mood!

This is just a temp location. I am planning to move the operation to Grandmas once I can convince the state to haul her away. She is getting old and all.

Turf Dawg
02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
This is just a temp location. I am planning to move the operation to Grandmas once I can convince the state to haul her away. She is getting old and all.

Sounds like you are getting big time.
I still run mine out of the back of a station wagon. I might get to take it off the blocks and tow it under a shade tree if things go right this year though
Posted via Mobile Device

CircleC
02-27-2012, 02:10 AM
My office is at home, I have a nice office area in my home which works really well for keeping things organized. I keep my equipment and tools in a storage unit yard. Its 15x36 and keeps my trailer and side tools just fine. Only thing I don't like is it is open and my stuff is open to daily elements. Area is close to my home and its fully secure. Big plus is that it is all paved. I can keep my stuff clean after washing. I would like to move into a covered area this spring, but I can't beat $37 per month! I have been there 3 yrs and will stay for a while....
Posted via Mobile Device

hackitdown
02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
I work out of my house. It is a very private location, and I try to be quiet so the neighbors are not impacted. The only negative is employee cars in the driveway. I have 1/2 of the garage, a workbench in the basement, and a bedroom dedicated to my office. I carved a parking pad out of the woods a couple of years ago.

I am working on a plan to store some equipment off-site in a garage. I'll store plows in summer, mowers in winter, etc.

edensgate7
02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
There are some good things mentioned here I haven't thought of. My neighbors haven't compained about me yet but I don't want things to get to that point. Plus I don't have any exposure in my location but at this point I don't want any because my business is right where I need it to be right now. Thanks for the replies.

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I work out of my garage and a spare bedroom in my house.

My garage is small and I can't even fit my truck in it but I keep my mowers and handhelds in it to keep them out of the weather. It is also good for working on equipment when it is raining out.

The spare bedroom in my house works really good for me, but I am about to get kicked out because our house is only two bedrooms and we have our first child on the way. I will have to move my stuff somewhere else.

I would enjoy having a seperate location to work out of but right now it is just not practical.

32vld
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
My first response was from a sort of solo operation. Sort of because I have a 70 yo friend that works with me. I could get by with out him but his presence makes the day go by better and he does not cost the business much.

So being my tow vehicle is also my personal use vehicle, with one trailer, and all my equipment fits into my garage and my office is a small pile of folders and a calculator that I take out and put away as needed so I don't tie up any house space.

So being the only aspect of running a business out of my house is that I have an empty open trailer parked on my drive way. The trailer gets painted in the spring and the wood stained so it will look nice in front of the customers home and not be an eye sore in front of mine.

Now for those that have too many autos, trailers, and everything else where you can't be under the radar most likely zoning laws will force one to move.

Being that large one should be able to afford renting or buying an appropriate property to operate from.

Only to be that rich.

Then I could pay someone to mow my lawn.:laugh:

Gr8WhiteNorth
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Here's the shop. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=372008

Salcido Lawn
02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
I office out of my home. Which has proven to be VERY difficult over the past year. In the last year, we went from 2 crews, to 4 crews! I have 9 full time employees and am hiring another in the next week or so. I live in a neighborhood with neighbors very close to me. I have tried to be a good neighbor, but has to call the police on my neighbor a few months ago. He threatened to kill me, because of me running a business out of my home. So I am searching for somewhere with some land!! I have been very blessed, because there is a church just down the street that lets my workers use their parking lot, but it is still difficult. I NEED a shop! I'm hoping to move in the next few months.
Posted via Mobile Device

94gt331
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Three years ago, I bought a 3 acre property, to run my buisiness from. I put up a small metal building up for a shop. Escavated some drive lanes and parking areas for easy parking for 4 trucks and 4 trailors. I have enough room that i put in some bins for mulch topsoil etc. And I dug a big burnpit for burning brush off my jobs. The property is located in the country on a wooded lot surrounded by corn fields. Taxes are less than a $1000 a year and nobody complains about anything that I want to do there. This was a goal of mine since I started 8 years ago. I live with my wife 1 mile away in a ranch house. I'm happy with this setup and plan on keeping it that way until I'm debt free and retired.

NC Greenscaper
02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I office out of my home. Which has proven to be VERY difficult over the past year. In the last year, we went from 2 crews, to 4 crews! I have 9 full time employees and am hiring another in the next week or so. I live in a neighborhood with neighbors very close to me. I have tried to be a good neighbor, but has to call the police on my neighbor a few months ago. He threatened to kill me, because of me running a business out of my home. So I am searching for somewhere with some land!! I have been very blessed, because there is a church just down the street that lets my workers use their parking lot, but it is still difficult. I NEED a shop! I'm hoping to move in the next few months.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't imagine how you run four crews from your home. My neighbors would kill me, too.

Glenn Lawn Care
02-29-2012, 08:00 PM
My house!
Posted via Mobile Device

MTenterprises
02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
From my house. I am part time, solo and have about 20 accounts residential and commercial mix 80/20 respectively. I'm in medical sales full time and can attest that the guy doing face to face cold calling is doing it right. I'm former law enforcement, turned sales / landscaping. My goal is to go full time landscaping when the time comes. :cool2:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I run my biz out of my home with my trailer stored at a storage rental shed.

Salcido Lawn
03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Here's what the trucks look like parked in my driveway. My personal truck is parked in the street and my neighbor lets us park my wife's Jeep in her driveway. (She has a circle drive, but only uses half of it.)

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
All equipment at our shop. Office at my home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Here's what the trucks look like parked in my driveway. My personal truck is parked in the street and my neighbor lets us park my wife's Jeep in her driveway. (She has a circle drive, but only uses half of it.)

thats hysterical, at least your neighbors are cool about it

siclmn
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Things sure are different in Texas. If you did that here it wouldn't take more then five minutes and someone would complain.

Mikegyver
03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Where do your workers park????

gebby
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Garage, truck and trailer, office in bedroom. Ahh what a life. Living the dream. Only in America.

MR-G
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
my main reason for purchasing land and building was capacity. we rapidly expanded with new trucks and equipment and quickly grew out of my backyard. i had a 1/2 acre lot in town with a separate 3 car garage that i used as our shop. 15 employees driving to work and parking in from of my neighbors homes and 24 hr snow clearing operations quickly made neighbors upset. i treated neighbors well by plowing and sanding our streets same day of big storms among other things, but this kind of thing only goes so far. we were way to big for a backayrd operation and needed to get an official and LEGAL location to run the business out of.

Doing this was a very good move. Suddenly we were on the radar for the big builders, etc. some of the customers that walked into our new office were not the type that would deal with a backyard business.

i hate to say it, but the move gave us more legitimacy inthe eyes of the general public. our sales reflected that.AGREED !!!we have done the same with same results.

scotts lawn care
03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Out of my home and garage. Our third bedroom works great for a office.

MR-G
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I can't imagine how you run four crews from your home. My neighbors would kill me, too.IMO its very disrespectful to do that to your neighbors...one pickup truck and a trailer in the garage i can see that to be ok....not multiple trucks and equipment....

meets1
03-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Currently office at home. I have two locations. I own storage units and we run out of those but that is getting tight, trailers, outside, dump, attachments, employee cars, other location is actual 70 x 90 shop. I am lookiing at building an 80 x 125 steel shop here in my town with offices. I hate having clients come to my house to sell and design landscapes, or giving prints to view. I do think office/shop/ public perception is huge vs out of a garage or driveway but I also no that is overhead, takes money, good banker, and alot of work.