PDA

View Full Version : GPS Tracking mowers

Gr8WhiteNorth
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Does anyone currently track mowing equipment with GPS?

If so, what do you use?

I noticed a City worker on the grounds crews driving his mower to home during the day and wondered how badly he is milking free wages? He lived down the backlane from me and I noticed his mower sitting there for hours of the day. City logos all over it.

I'm doing a large commercial contract this year and don't want to run into the same problem.

JB1
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
sounds like a typical government worker.

GreenI.A.
02-27-2012, 01:02 AM
I have looked into it, I am not on my laptop so I don't have the names of the companies or sites. But there are a number of different types of units with different program terms. The more expensive units will let you look online and see in realtime where the unit is, you can also set restricted areas that will immediately notify you if the unit goes there. The next expensive programs will ping the unit on a set interval and text you the location. Others let you set a designated area on a map online, such as your shop or if you have a large commerical complex site that you keep the equipment at (such as keeping loaders at a mall for snow removal) and will text you if it is removed from the site. The more cost effective units stay in a standby mode and you have to ping it your self online to see where it is at. I told the story on here before, I had a truck and trailer loaed with equipment stolen. I had a rented miniex on it the trailer, I notified the rental company and luckily they had tracking on all of their large equipment. The police were able to track it and found everything in tact and made arests because of the gps unit.

crazymike
02-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Give your employees a cheap iPhone 3 on a share plan. You need to get hold of them anyways. They also have push to talk apps. Then you can track the iPhone at anytime as well.

edensgate7
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Or just hire better people who you can trust and pay them well enough that they care about your equipment as much as you do:) It is possible....just have to look really hard for them!

howierd3866
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
we used them on ours but its not always about trusting the workers..We use are more for thief or tracking where they at come fuel times and things like that. We do work local to up to 90 miles away its just nice.Also when I have 6 mower in the same area/block I can find them easlier than just calling their cells and stopping work

crazymike
02-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Or just hire better people who you can trust and pay them well enough that they care about your equipment as much as you do:) It is possible....just have to look really hard for them!

No matter who you think you trust, you should never trust anyone in business.

And you will never pay anyone enough to care about your business as much as you do- because it's not their business.

It can also help with route optimization, etc...

edensgate7
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I trust my employees completely. Don't get me wrong...they have earned it. But I send them out and they get the work done in the time it is supposed to take and they don't take breaks except when driving between accounts. I pay them what they are worth and make sure they know why they are worth what I am paying them and show them what it takes to be worth more. The guys I have had steady for years are great guys and do care about my business ALMOST as much as I do. You are right, they will never care equally because they don't own it. I should have been more specific with that. It is sad that many owners cannot trust the people they hire and need to even discuss tracking them with gps to make sure they get their job done. I suggest to those that find this gps thing a need that it would help you sleep alot better and be less hassle to just fire the guys you don't trust and replace them with trustworthy quality workers.

mikeypizano
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
The tracking be great if it was ever stolen.

crazymike
02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I trust my employees completely. Don't get me wrong...they have earned it. But I send them out and they get the work done in the time it is supposed to take and they don't take breaks except when driving between accounts. I pay them what they are worth and make sure they know why they are worth what I am paying them and show them what it takes to be worth more. The guys I have had steady for years are great guys and do care about my business ALMOST as much as I do. You are right, they will never care equally because they don't own it. I should have been more specific with that. It is sad that many owners cannot trust the people they hire and need to even discuss tracking them with gps to make sure they get their job done. I suggest to those that find this gps thing a need that it would help you sleep alot better and be less hassle to just fire the guys you don't trust and replace them with trustworthy quality workers.

and then you have new guys that you will not trust for some time. And have to monitor the new guys. It's a vicious cycle

edensgate7
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
point taken with the new employees......I guess I give people more of a chance than most though instead of always being afraid of being screwed. I find that most workers want to be trusted with responsibility and be paid fairly for it. Either way, good luck with what you decide to do with the whole gps thing

crazymike
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
point taken with the new employees......I guess I give people more of a chance than most though instead of always being afraid of being screwed. I find that most workers want to be trusted with responsibility and be paid fairly for it. Either way, good luck with what you decide to do with the whole gps thing

don't get me wrong, there is an element of trust. But you always have to have it in the back of your mind, they can screw you.

When they have a bad day, fight with their girlfriend, it might cost them their job.

It might cost you a $100,000 municipal contract. Can never be too careful.