PDA

View Full Version : Honda GXV530 16hp Engine

CarolinaCut&Clean
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi, I had recently purchased a used Compact Power Powerhouse Prodigy. I used it about three times and then the engine blew. It looks like one of the rods broke and came through the engine block. The problem(other then the cracked block) is that I can't find a replacement engine. I contacted Honda as well as Compact Power but both aren't able to help. Honda says that they don't make the engine any more and that parts are extremely limited and Compact Power told me that they don't have a fix or alternative motor mount for a different kind of engine. Has anyone else ever come across this issue or does anyone happen to have a GXV530-QEA3 engine that they want to sell. Any help on this would be great because right now I have an extremely expensive lawn ornament. Thanks

pugs
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
What moron used that engine in an application like that? Ugh. You are pretty much SOL. You can try to make another engine fit/work but depending on how tight things are you might not be able to. You will probably need a custom muffler too.

Honda originally designed that engine to sell to the homeowner market for lawn tractors/ZTRs. It never really took off. I guess they made a slightly better version and called it a GX series...that never took off either.

CarolinaCut&Clean
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Really?? That freaking stinks!! I am not sure if you are good with engines, but I was looking at the GXV610 or even the 620. I was told the mounting holes will line up but I am not sure if the physical engine size is close or even if the extra 2 or 4hp will be an issue.

pugs
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Really?? That freaking stinks!! I am not sure if you are good with engines, but I was looking at the GXV610 or even the 620. I was told the mounting holes will line up but I am not sure if the physical engine size is close or even if the extra 2 or 4hp will be an issue.

Well the 610 and 620 are no longer being made. The current Honda V-twins are the 630/660/690. You would have to do some measuring to see. I really have no idea. I have never seen a GCV/GXV 530 outside of a classroom that we tore them down a bit in. I remember them being kinda small though so you may have issues.

You might want to look into a Briggs Vanguard 16/18 HP. Might have a better chance of fitting.

Bernindogger
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Hey Carolina Cut and Clean,
I have the Kanga Kid which is just like the Prodigy. The GXV530 blew the same way yours did and I am having the same issues with finding a replacement. Were you ever able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!