PDA

View Full Version : Huskavarna PZ Series?

mtmower
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Anyone have any hands on opinions on the PZs? I'm trying to purchase new this spring and looking at Hustler SZs, Exmark, or if I really want to travel, Scag.

Found this info when on another thread.

I have to say I like the way the machine looks and is built plus I do have a local dealer:clapping: Since I'm looking for a 60 inch I go there. I start comparing mowers throwing out the small horse power and looking at the bigger stuff (I'm insecure):o

Of course I also had to look at their speed:hammerhead:

First I looked at the PZ6034FX and everything looks good and it has 12 mph forward and 6 mph rev. Acceptable. If everything stacks up like warranty, build quality, QOC, etc. I may have to take a look.

Then I looked at the PZ6029D Kubota option. More is better right? And low and behold it's rated at 14 mph forward and 7 mph rev Now I see I may need to step up and consider buying my first diesel.

Then..... I see this other PZ6034ZT. And I'm thinking, what the heck. Another company with their head in the wrong place making a stupid "so close to another model" model just to look like they have lots of mower options to chose from. I'm guessing it has a different seat or a spoiler for the extra $300 dollars. But no. 18 mph forward and 6 mph rev. This is faster than the SZ and Cheetah and I never hear anything about it from Huzky or owner/operators. Maybe it's top secret or new for 2012?

Does anyone know of a reason not to buy a Huzky over the other big contenders out there? Any pros or cons to diesel vs gas. I know diesel cost more, have more torque, and should last longer, but when gas engines cost less up front and can go 3000-4000 hrs already, the rest of the mower is shot anyway.

weeze
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
husqvarnas are great mowers. the problem is there aren't many dealers out there for their commercial line of mowers. where i live there are dealers for their commercial trimmers/blowers, etc. but the mowers are the residential line.

playersc
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Please do not get caught up in the max speed of a mower because unless you are mowing a ball field or something similar you will not be traveling 12mph. I purchased a PZ6029FX that just hit the 300hrs mark and the machine has performed perfect with no issues anywhere. The PZ6034ZT has the addition of an 18mph capability for transporting (not for mowing) this info was from the salesman when I purchased my mower. I purchased a mulch kit later that has worked great but would have went with OCDC if I had know it was available. I hope this helps Bradley.

Ridin' Green
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Maybe JimQ will see this and pipe up. He knows quite a bit about these mowers.

I posted this in your other thread, but I guess I'll put it here too, since it is about the Husky Z's.

The new Husky's are top notch. Their deck is amazingly close to the 7 Iron in design and should cut just about the same. They resemble them much more so than about any other deck out there today. Here's a link to the Husqvarna website and that particular machine. It uses the exact same hyrdo's as the Cheetah, so it's no suprise on the speed. My guess is that there must be some difference in final drive gearing between it and the Cheetah to make the 2 MPH difference, because the drive tires are the same size. There are a few reviews there to read at the bottom of the page too. Maybe that will help you out.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...rs/pz6034fxzt/

StanWilhite
02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I always have to smile and shake my head when I read about mowers and the "battle for top speed". I'd like to be able to have an honest (accurate) account of how much actual running time is spent on a zero turn, whether mowing or in transport, traveling above, say....10 mph. And...how much additional money was spent for that capability.

Now I know there are exceptions, even several on this site, but I'll bet the average person would be surprised at what a tiny percentage of time was put on the hr meter at or above 10 or 12 mph. Now think about 16 mph, 18 mph......huh? :dizzy:

There's always gonna be the pi$$ing contest of "my mower is faster, I can mow faster, my dad can whip your dad" sort of thing, but come on. I'll bet there would be a lot of people surprised at how much extra money was spent for something so seldom used, and what affect the additional shaking of running at WOT/FS had on the mower (over time) when it was used.

In my case when I do hit "full stick" it's only for a very short period of time....obstacles and rough terrain see to that. In my case I'd say less than 2% of my time is at my Z's top speed of 13 mph, so it wouldn't be very smart for me to spend any money at all on a mower that will go faster.

But, I understand the appeal (to a certain group of people) about having a mower that will go faster than their counterparts....I'm that way about cars. :)

Now before everyone that mows fast jumps on me, remember.....I said "there are exceptions", and I said "some, not all" ! :laugh:

Just something to think about (while dodging the trees coming at you...... at nearly 20 mph)!!!!!!!!!!!!. Stan

mtmower
02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe JimQ will see this and pipe up. He knows quite a bit about these mowers.

I posted this in your other thread, but I guess I'll put it here too, since it is about the Husky Z's.

The new Husky's are top notch. Their deck is amazingly close to the 7 Iron in design and should cut just about the same. They resemble them much more so than about any other deck out there today. Here's a link to the Husqvarna website and that particular machine. It uses the exact same hyrdo's as the Cheetah, so it's no suprise on the speed. My guess is that there must be some difference in final drive gearing between it and the Cheetah to make the 2 MPH difference, because the drive tires are the same size. There are a few reviews there to read at the bottom of the page too. Maybe that will help you out.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...rs/pz6034fxzt/
I'm not too sure what I think about the 2 speed set up on either this or the Scag. More parts mean more potential for problems, not been out long, and so on. I wonder if the diesel is the more common single speed system?

Ridin' Green
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not too sure what I think about the 2 speed set up on either this or the Scag. More parts mean more potential for problems, not been out long, and so on. I wonder if the diesel is the more common single speed system?

I just read somewhere a couple days ago that it isn't a true two speed trans. It is all one speed, but the two notches on the selector set the top speed in either of the two posistions. Basically they're just two different stop points to the same set of sticks, if that makes any sense. That's why Scag advertises that you can shift the Cheetah on the fly.

weeze
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
yeah it's not really a transmission gear change or anything. personally i've never even mowed at full stick on my mower and the top speed is 10.5mph on it. the normal speed is in the 7-9mph range and that's on wide open smooth yards. i guess if you were only cutting off 1" of grass or something you could go a little faster but most of the time i'm cutting off 2"-4".

RoyalTree
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I picked up two pz6030 last year and both have about 1300 hours and no major hickups. They are built well and can really take a beating. Will probably get two 72 inch huskys this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Everyone is using the same Transaxle for their "2-speed" systems.

Hydro-Gear 5400

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/products/hydrostatic-drives/single-axle-transaxles/zt-5400

The key to the additional speed control of the 5400 is the variable displacement wheel motor. Conventional wheel motors are fixed displacement. The wheel motor in the 5400 is sort of like the pump in reverse. When you want to go faster on your z, you push the sticks forward which increases the pump displacement and moves more oil to the wheel motor. In the 5400, you can increase flow of the pump for more speed, but you can also reduce the displacement of the wheel motor which requires less flow for the same speed.

So, sticks forward, increase the output of the pump, go fast...

Engage the "transport gear", decrease requirement of wheel motor, go even faster.

I hope I didn't confuse things even further. :laugh:

Q

JimQ
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
oops, duplicate post.

JimQ
02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I picked up two pz6030 last year and both have about 1300 hours and no major hickups. They are built well and can really take a beating. Will probably get two 72 inch huskys this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Would you mind sharing the issues you have had. I was involved with the development of the PZ and I'm curious how they're holding up.

Thanks,

Q

mtmower
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
JimQ, How long has the 5400 been on the market and are you aware of any weaknesses? Do they offer any type of a hitch for the PZ? I'm not seeing anything on the unit or in the listed accessories.

JimQ
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
JimQ, How long has the 5400 been on the market and are you aware of any weaknesses? Do they offer any type of a hitch for the PZ? I'm not seeing anything on the unit or in the listed accessories.

It's been in the field for 1 full season now (aside from developmental and OEM testing)

There are no weakness that I am aware of however, I was out of the loop last season. Something could have popped up.

Unless Husqvarna has developed a hitch accessory over the last year that I'm not aware of, there is not one available. If you really want/need one, it should be easy enough to fab something up. The PZ has a pretty stout tube bumper you could weld/bolt to.

Q

ULS1
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I picked up the pz5426 this past June and love it. I have 77hr on it now. The only thing i dislike is that it don't strip as good as my snapper pro wb. If I double cut it looks pretty good. This thing has cut my time in half on some of the big yards I do.

RoyalTree
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Would you mind sharing the issues you have had. I was involved with the development of the PZ and I'm curious how they're holding up.

Thanks,

Q

I know we have replaced bearing on front wheels and forks. Also replaced bushings on deck stabalizers. In my opinion the deck does not have enough clearance from the tires. If tire goes flat machine can barely move. We have also had a few hydro leaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
02-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you had any seat time on any other brands to compare the PZs to? I'm considering Hustler SZ again. I've been unhappy with their earlier decks clipping dispersal but like almost everything else about them. I do like the isolated platform on the PZ which Hustler doesn't have. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RoyalTree
03-01-2012, 06:30 AM
We also run several scags and a few dixie choppers. I have been very happy with the deck performance. I feel it performs about the same as the velocity plus deck in the scags. My guys really put the machined though a workout. We cut mostly government property so we encountet some real nasty grass at times
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I know we have replaced bearing on front wheels and forks. Also replaced bushings on deck stabalizers. In my opinion the deck does not have enough clearance from the tires. If tire goes flat machine can barely move. We have also had a few hydro leaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those all sound like pretty common issues that I think all PZ owners could expect at some point.

Front wheel bearings - I'm not a fan of the way the system is designed. They use tapered rollers and rely on the axle bolt to maintain proper preload. Take a look at the way exmark or Hustler does front wheel bearings.

Caster bearings - Check to see if there is a name brand higher quality equivalent and there should be no problems.

Not much you can do about the deck bushings. Keep some around and replace them when the deck starts swaying around down there...

I'm surprised you mention flat tires. Most PZ's come with semi-pneumatic/flat-free tires. Maybe they used pneumatics on the 6030. It was slightly downspec'd. I don't remember. I just noticed that the 6030 is no longer shown on the website. They must have discontinued it.

Hydro leaks - if it's leaking out of the cap, take a close look at the fit between the neck of the tank and the sleeve that drops down inside the neck. Make sure it fits properly and does not interfere with the cap seal. You may be able to slightly reshape the lip of the sleeve to improve the fit in the neck.

If you have fittings coming loose, try these....

http://www.flaretite.com/

If you're having issues with "hybrid" hoses, (steel tube and rubber hose combined) You might try replacing them with a standard custom made rubber hose. I know a few guys that have had some success doing that.

Overall, the PZ is a heck of a machine. I think it would surprise a lot of people if they gave it a chance.

Q

mtmower
03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I may be giving the PZs a whirl.

I do have to say that at 1000 hrs on two SZs I've not had a single one of these problems occur. The early standard deck I had had one spindle get noisy under warranty and some of the idler pulleys bearings went bad. If I understand correctly the early early model SZ had single row pulley bearings and they quickly updated them to double row. What ever the case, they warrantied all of them, even the one or two that happened out of warranty.

My rx7 deck stripper roller bearings take a real beating and I've replaced them twice now in 1000 hrs. Other than the stripper bearings not one other problem. Knock on wood.......

RoyalTree
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I want to clarify that for us this is actually the least amount of problems we have had with a mower. We replace one belt for every four on the dixies and not one pulley.

The tires i was refering to are the rears, the front are flat free. There is very litle room between the deck and rear tires. We average about two or three flats per mower per week on each mower. I did say we cut some nasty stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
'I want to clarify that for us this is actually the least amount of problems we have had with a mower.'

That says a lot right there. That's great to hear! :clapping:

Q

mtmower
03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
We average about two or three flats per mower per week on each mower. I did say we cut some nasty stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Holy cow! Two to three flats per mower per week! You guys must be cutting fields of glass! What brand tires are they running? Whats the typical cause? Your not saying the clearance of the rear tires to the deck are involved in causing the flats are you? Just that once flat it creates a problem?

RoyalTree
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
We cut lots of public housing projects and roadways. We encounter lots of broken glass, nails and my personal favorite, wire hangers that can go in and out in four different places. I am not sure what brand tires we are using. The dixie chopper bar tires do hold up longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ
03-02-2012, 10:34 AM
PZ's leave the factory with Carlisle Turf Masters on the rear.

Q

davidcalhoun
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
RoyalTree,

Do what some Amish do. They take a ZTR and put metal wheels on it (all metal, no rubber). Yes, I have actually seen it.

Now for a dose of our needs. I have no experience with this, but could you have the rear tires filled with foam? Kind of like some skid steer tires.

RoyalTree
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been told they would be to heavy and burn out wheel motors. Maybe someone with more expetience can speak. We currently patch and plug till they can take no more.

Jim, how long has the pz6030 been out?
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Im curious as to why they discontinued the 6030 model. Maybe Husk is going strictly to Kawi Engines? I have the opportunity to purchase a 6030 for cheap brand new.... Im wondering if I should not...

Also can you purchase a striping kit for these new mowers?

Thanks,

Mario

JimQ
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I have been told they would be to heavy and burn out wheel motors. Maybe someone with more expetience can speak. We currently patch and plug till they can take no more.

Jim, how long has the pz6030 been out?
Posted via Mobile Device

The 6030 was in production for one year. The first year for the PZ. I'm not sure why they killed it. (or if they did, maybe its just missing from the website)

What I can tell you is that in my opinion, the 6030 seemed under-powered. It was equipped with a smaller hydro system to try to compensate for that.

Q

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Thank you for that info! Should I purchase the Kawi 29hp model? Does the 29hp model have the same hydros as the 6034? Thank you for all your info!!

Greatly appreciated!

Mario

JimQ
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Thank you for that info! Should I purchase the Kawi 29hp model? Does the 29hp model have the same hydros as the 6034? Thank you for all your info!!

Greatly appreciated!

Mario

Take money out of the equation and I have no doubt you would be happier with the 29hp Kawi. It has the same hydro system as the 6034.

Happy to help.

:drinkup:

Q

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Jim,

Again, thank you for the info. You have helped me very much!

M

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I can't think of a reason I would trade my PZ 6034 for ANYTHING! Better hurry, though, rumor going around that they're gonna drop the 34 and go with a 29. And GET THE MULCHING KIT...unless you don't cut props that you have to clean up afterwards, such as wild fields or something. It's a nice freaking mower...talked a friend into getting one, even before I got mine, and just talked ANOTHER friend into getting one.....I like my Exmark 60/25 with Ultracut, but there's NO COMPARISON to the PZ, and to me, the new Exmarks look, well, cheap and lightweight....not considering they're $1000 more with 5 LESS Hp. That PZ is an absolute PLEASURE to operate, built like tank. I'd buy the PZ over the new Exmark if the PZ was $1000 MORE than the Ex....no question. I'm TOTALLY convinced they're the best value for your money, heck, they're UNDERCHARGING for them, in my opinion....GAWD, I hope they don't read this! Check it........--David

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-06-2012, 08:34 AM
So you think I should spend the $$ and buy the 34hp 60" model?

Also, I am looking to buy the 5426 and run the triple bagger spindle driven unit on it. 26hp will that handle it?

M

JimQ
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
That is a sweet looking trailer full of mowers you have there Federal Lawn!

Thumbs Up

Q

JimQ
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Also, I am looking to buy the 5426 and run the triple bagger spindle driven unit on it. 26hp will that handle it?

M

Let me say this. if you have the money to spend, YES! With the 34hp Kawi, the machine performs up to its potential. I feel like it's limited by the smaller engines. It works just fine with the 29hp kawi and 30hp Kohler if you haven't cut with one with a larger engine on it. The PZ was originally developed and tested with the 32hp Vanguard. Late in the development process, the Marketing guys said that no one wanted the Vanguard. That's when the Kawis went on. In my personal opinion, even the 34hp kawi doesn't "feel" as powerful as the 32hp Vanguard. When you feed that deck horse power, it's amazing what its capable of.

Hey you guys in Charlotte (Sean, Kris), if you're reading....

PUT THE VANGUARD BACK ON THERE!

oh yeah, I think you'll be just fine with the 26hp Kawi and the spindle driven blower.

Q

mtmower
03-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Jim, What is the top speed the ZT mower allows you to cut at? If I understand it locks out the mower deck in the "transport mode". Are there any pics your aware of showing how the rear of the deck attaches to the frame? Do they offer a stripping kit I'm not seeing? I have verified a hitch is not available.

mtmower
03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't think of a reason I would trade my PZ 6034 for ANYTHING! Better hurry, though, rumor going around that they're gonna drop the 34 and go with a 29. And GET THE MULCHING KIT...unless you don't cut props that you have to clean up afterwards, such as wild fields or something. It's a nice freaking mower...talked a friend into getting one, even before I got mine, and just talked ANOTHER friend into getting one.....I like my Exmark 60/25 with Ultracut, but there's NO COMPARISON to the PZ, and to me, the new Exmarks look, well, cheap and lightweight....not considering they're $1000 more with 5 LESS Hp. That PZ is an absolute PLEASURE to operate, built like tank. I'd buy the PZ over the new Exmark if the PZ was $1000 MORE than the Ex....no question. I'm TOTALLY convinced they're the best value for your money, heck, they're UNDERCHARGING for them, in my opinion....GAWD, I hope they don't read this! Check it........--David

Wow. Sounds strong if your liking it over the Exmark. My local dealer checked with the rep. and there are no 60" PZ available at all from them directly. So you'd have to buy one from a dealer that still has one in stock. He's checking on time period to get one. Not good to hear this time of year.

Interesting to hear you like the mulch set up. I keep wanting to try one but all I've heard is negative. I was afraid in our northern grasses it would slow me down with the Hustlers and not efficiently handle the clippings.

How and where is the rear of the deck attached to the frame? Being that the rear of these decks are curved and the back underside is not gusseted, I'm wondering if it's a weak point.

My choices are now down to Exmark, Hustler SZ, Husqvarna PZ, and Gravely 400. PZ and 400s have the isolated decks (maybe Exmarks too). Hustler is over built, good pumps, and warranty. Exmark proven.

And I just noticed the I missed spelled Husqvarna in my title. Sweet.

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM

M

Pro, I haven't owned anything smaller than a 60, (other than a 46 Wright stander, which I used to pick up flowers and trash at cemeteries with a garbage can strapped to it) sold it, and have never had a bagger, but I would think that a 26 would do fine on a 54, considering that the bagger is driven. Someone with experience with one could advise you more accurately than me on that. My Exmark 60/25 Kohler WITH A MULCHING KIT really strains in HEAVY stuff...(actually I blew it up and am going to FINALLY put the NEW 25 on it tomorrow...I've been lazy)....to the point of choking out, which requires several passes at decreasing heights to get rid of it....but keep in mind, it's GETTING RID OF IT, not just cutting and scattering. That 34 with the mulcher utterly destroys anything I have thrown at it in ONE PASS, unless it' like SOAKING wet. I learned REAL QUICK that there no substitute for POWER...and I learned the hard way *smile*. I can eliminate, cleanly, in one pass at 1.5 inches, HEAVY centipede, where as with the Exmark....3 or 4 passes, starting at 3.5 inches....no comparison. Burning more fuel? Not a chance....SAVING fuel from being able to get it the FIRST time. Also, and this is my opinion only, I wouldn't get ANYTHING smaller than a 60, unless it was something like a 36 Wright Stander...which I had and hardly ever used, to get thru small gates. A 60 is SO versatile, you'd be surpised how tight an area you can get it in, and it allows you the versatility to take on LARGER jobs like open areas, that many times require little to no time consuming weedeating and cleanup....and are more likely to pay YEAR ROUND, just my opinion. I don't even want a 72....I can get the huge cemeteries I have in generally 2 passes...down and back one time...except where the markers are sparse and they didn't line them up correctly, then I may have to spin around and catch a 2 or 3 ft strip. A 60, Bro...and either something to get in small gates, or like me, get rid of the Residentials and forget the small stuff that takes all your time doesn't pay year round. Hope that helps...
-David Innis

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow. Sounds strong if your liking it over the Exmark. My local dealer checked with the rep. and there are no 60" PZ available at all from them directly. So you'd have to buy one from a dealer that still has one in stock. He's checking on time period to get one. Not good to hear this time of year.

Interesting to hear you like the mulch set up. I keep wanting to try one but all I've heard is negative. I was afraid in our northern grasses it would slow me down with the Hustlers and not efficiently handle the clippings.

How and where is the rear of the deck attached to the frame? Being that the rear of these decks are curved and the back underside is not gusseted, I'm wondering if it's a weak point.

My choices are now down to Exmark, Hustler SZ, Husqvarna PZ, and Gravely 400. PZ and 400s have the isolated decks (maybe Exmarks too). Hustler is over built, good pumps, and warranty. Exmark proven.

And I just noticed the I missed spelled Husqvarna in my title. Sweet.

I haven't found ANYTHING that I'd consider a weak point on the PZ. I'll say this, I was running my Exmark wide open, and somehow caught a 4-inch diameter by 15-inch long (read BURIED DEEP), that I didn't even know was there...never seen it before, it must've been buried, but I guess I caught it at just the right angle with the front of the deck and literally pulled the thing out of the ground, running my blades over it and hitting the rear of the deck so hard that it bounced the entire rear of the mower a couple inches off the ground, catching the mule belt pully's at the read SHATTERING one of them! Couldn't even tell where it caught either the front or the back of the deck....and I looked, trust me. And that was on a Lazer with the Ultracut deck....so, I have no worries about the rear of the deck on the PZ for sure....If I hit something hard enough to damage that, I'm gonna just admit that I deserved it *smile*. I always thought that I'd continue buying Exmark, I reall did, but the new Next's just look SO, uh, "residential" to me....they don't look nearly as stout as the earlier Lazers with the Ultracut...or even the Titan. Go look at the PZ and Ex side by side...look at the details...even the freaking fuel tanks look like a homeowners unit, in my opinion. Then consider, the PZ is, around here at least, $8499 at ZERO interest thru GE credit for 3 years, whereas the Ex is over a GRAND more, and it's only got a 29 HP....it was a no brainer for me...and the RIDE, the smooth responsiveness, the speed, heck it weighs 1300 lbs, vs my 800 or so lb Ex, only difference being the engine....and that's SURELY not 500 lbs! They're BUILT....and the weight alone says a lot. I haven't looked at what the new Ex's weigh, but I swear they look LIGHTER-weight than my old one, so who knows. I tried everything within a 75 mile radious of home, and the Hustlers, in my opinion, were the SHIZNIT....in their day, but they appear outdated, and they look OLD really fast, in my opinion, and they didn't make a 60 with a 34! I consider a Hustler like a Beagle....it's cute when it's a pup, but when it's two, it looks like an old man.....kinda like.....me! Anyhoo...sorry for rambling....just winding down. Sold that 16 ft trailer to a friend yesterday (who bought the PZ 6034), and I've been scrambling to get my 20-foot trailer set-up. My 5 months off with pay is ending a little sooner that I had hoped, with this mild winter. Oh yeah, I think I would quit mowing altogether if I couldn't have a mulch kit...saves SO much time cleaning up, not having to worry about which side you're blowing stuff, rocks and windows and cars and kids....it's the first thing I put on there...I even got it financed in with the mower. Another friend who I talked into getting the PZ over 2 years ago, doesn't have a mulcher and that thing will utterly COVER you in dust and throw clippings slam to Europe, I believe. Get a mulcher...you'll NEVER regret it. Same thing goes for those Speed Feed Heads on my Shindaiwas....don't even have to shut the trimmer down to load three FULL arm-widths of .105 square line.....priceless. Regards,
--David Innis

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
That is a sweet looking trailer full of mowers you have there Federal Lawn!

Thumbs Up

Q

Jim, I unfortunately can't claim the one on the rear...I had to bring it home from the dealer for my friend since it was too wide for his trailer. I'll have my Lazer with a NEW engine on there with my PZ now, but I just sold my 16 footer to that guy yesterday, and picked up a 20 with a split heavy gate, which I needed so I can load my Case 1840 Skidsteer....the trailer I have for it is a DEATH trap!

Thanks, though...I wish they were BOTH mine...but next time.......OH GAWD!!!!! Here I go again......

-David Innis

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Take money out of the equation and I have no doubt you would be happier with the 29hp Kawi. It has the same hydro system as the 6034.

Happy to help.

:drinkup:

Q

UNLESS you mulch it....trust me on that one...if the diesels weren't 5 grand more, I'd have bought one, but that 34 has utterly DESTROYED and ELIMINATED some of the heaviest stuff I've cut, leaving nothing behind but a smile on my face *snicker*! Without a mulcher, a 29 would be PLENTY....just my opinion, though.
--David Innis

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Pro, I haven't owned anything smaller than a 60, (other than a 46 Wright stander, which I used to pick up flowers and trash at cemeteries with a garbage can strapped to it) sold it, and have never had a bagger, but I would think that a 26 would do fine on a 54, considering that the bagger is driven. Someone with experience with one could advise you more accurately than me on that. My Exmark 60/25 Kohler WITH A MULCHING KIT really strains in HEAVY stuff...(actually I blew it up and am going to FINALLY put the NEW 25 on it tomorrow...I've been lazy)....to the point of choking out, which requires several passes at decreasing heights to get rid of it....but keep in mind, it's GETTING RID OF IT, not just cutting and scattering. That 34 with the mulcher utterly destroys anything I have thrown at it in ONE PASS, unless it' like SOAKING wet. I learned REAL QUICK that there no substitute for POWER...and I learned the hard way *smile*. I can eliminate, cleanly, in one pass at 1.5 inches, HEAVY centipede, where as with the Exmark....3 or 4 passes, starting at 3.5 inches....no comparison. Burning more fuel? Not a chance....SAVING fuel from being able to get it the FIRST time. Also, and this is my opinion only, I wouldn't get ANYTHING smaller than a 60, unless it was something like a 36 Wright Stander...which I had and hardly ever used, to get thru small gates. A 60 is SO versatile, you'd be surpised how tight an area you can get it in, and it allows you the versatility to take on LARGER jobs like open areas, that many times require little to no time consuming weedeating and cleanup....and are more likely to pay YEAR ROUND, just my opinion. I don't even want a 72....I can get the huge cemeteries I have in generally 2 passes...down and back one time...except where the markers are sparse and they didn't line them up correctly, then I may have to spin around and catch a 2 or 3 ft strip. A 60, Bro...and either something to get in small gates, or like me, get rid of the Residentials and forget the small stuff that takes all your time doesn't pay year round. Hope that helps...
-David Innis

Meant to type 36 stander...my eyes aren't what they used to be......sorry.

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I haven't found ANYTHING that I'd consider a weak point on the PZ. I'll say this, I was running my Exmark wide open, and somehow caught a 4-inch diameter by 15-inch long (read BURIED DEEP), that I didn't even know was there...never seen it before, it must've been buried, but I guess I caught it at just the right angle with the front of the deck and literally pulled the thing out of the ground, running my blades over it and hitting the rear of the deck so hard that it bounced the entire rear of the mower a couple inches off the ground, catching the mule belt pully's at the read SHATTERING one of them! Couldn't even tell where it caught either the front or the back of the deck....and I looked, trust me. And that was on a Lazer with the Ultracut deck....so, I have no worries about the rear of the deck on the PZ for sure....If I hit something hard enough to damage that, I'm gonna just admit that I deserved it *smile*. I always thought that I'd continue buying Exmark, I reall did, but the new Next's just look SO, uh, "residential" to me....they don't look nearly as stout as the earlier Lazers with the Ultracut...or even the Titan. Go look at the PZ and Ex side by side...look at the details...even the freaking fuel tanks look like a homeowners unit, in my opinion. Then consider, the PZ is, around here at least, $8499 at ZERO interest thru GE credit for 3 years, whereas the Ex is over a GRAND more, and it's only got a 29 HP....it was a no brainer for me...and the RIDE, the smooth responsiveness, the speed, heck it weighs 1300 lbs, vs my 800 or so lb Ex, only difference being the engine....and that's SURELY not 500 lbs! They're BUILT....and the weight alone says a lot. I haven't looked at what the new Ex's weigh, but I swear they look LIGHTER-weight than my old one, so who knows. I tried everything within a 75 mile radious of home, and the Hustlers, in my opinion, were the SHIZNIT....in their day, but they appear outdated, and they look OLD really fast, in my opinion, and they didn't make a 60 with a 34! I consider a Hustler like a Beagle....it's cute when it's a pup, but when it's two, it looks like an old man.....kinda like.....me! Anyhoo...sorry for rambling....just winding down. Sold that 16 ft trailer to a friend yesterday (who bought the PZ 6034), and I've been scrambling to get my 20-foot trailer set-up. My 5 months off with pay is ending a little sooner that I had hoped, with this mild winter. Oh yeah, I think I would quit mowing altogether if I couldn't have a mulch kit...saves SO much time cleaning up, not having to worry about which side you're blowing stuff, rocks and windows and cars and kids....it's the first thing I put on there...I even got it financed in with the mower. Another friend who I talked into getting the PZ over 2 years ago, doesn't have a mulcher and that thing will utterly COVER you in dust and throw clippings slam to Europe, I believe. Get a mulcher...you'll NEVER regret it. Same thing goes for those Speed Feed Heads on my Shindaiwas....don't even have to shut the trimmer down to load three FULL arm-widths of .105 square line.....priceless. Regards,
--David Innis
That thing I drug up was a solid CONCRETE cylinder that is used to locate grave spaces....it's a CHUNK, I guarantee........
-David

Federal Lawn Company
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I always have to smile and shake my head when I read about mowers and the "battle for top speed". I'd like to be able to have an honest (accurate) account of how much actual running time is spent on a zero turn, whether mowing or in transport, traveling above, say....10 mph. And...how much additional money was spent for that capability.

Now I know there are exceptions, even several on this site, but I'll bet the average person would be surprised at what a tiny percentage of time was put on the hr meter at or above 10 or 12 mph. Now think about 16 mph, 18 mph......huh? :dizzy:

There's always gonna be the pi$$ing contest of "my mower is faster, I can mow faster, my dad can whip your dad" sort of thing, but come on. I'll bet there would be a lot of people surprised at how much extra money was spent for something so seldom used, and what affect the additional shaking of running at WOT/FS had on the mower (over time) when it was used.

In my case when I do hit "full stick" it's only for a very short period of time....obstacles and rough terrain see to that. In my case I'd say less than 2% of my time is at my Z's top speed of 13 mph, so it wouldn't be very smart for me to spend any money at all on a mower that will go faster.

But, I understand the appeal (to a certain group of people) about having a mower that will go faster than their counterparts....I'm that way about cars. :)

Now before everyone that mows fast jumps on me, remember.....I said "there are exceptions", and I said "some, not all" ! :laugh:

Just something to think about (while dodging the trees coming at you...... at nearly 20 mph)!!!!!!!!!!!!. Stan

I'm not gonna beat my mower to death either. I rarely run full speed for any length of time...unless I know that it's smooth. That speed thing is HIGHLY overrated....and that fast transport speed as well...If I need to travel THAT far with my blades off, I'm gonna move my darn truck *smile* !
-David

JimQ
03-07-2012, 09:21 AM
UNLESS you mulch it....trust me on that one...if the diesels weren't 5 grand more, I'd have bought one, but that 34 has utterly DESTROYED and ELIMINATED some of the heaviest stuff I've cut, leaving nothing behind but a smile on my face *snicker*! Without a mulcher, a 29 would be PLENTY....just my opinion, though.
--David Innis

I agree with you David. The 34hp is a better option yet. Mario was considering purchasing a 6030. The 29hp Kawi has more giddyup than the 30hp Kohler.

As the old saying goes, "There is no replacement for displacement"

30 Kohler (??hp) - 747cc
29 Kawi (25.5hp) - 852cc
34 kawi (31hp) - 999cc

Q

mtmower
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Sold that 16 ft trailer to a friend yesterday (who bought the PZ 6034), and I've been scrambling to get my 20-foot trailer set-up. Regards,
--David Innis

You'll like the 20'er. I lucked out and had a new 20' car hauler before I started my company and had to use it due to $S. Put a tongue/wedge style tool box on the front if you can right away. Nicer then crawling in the truck bed for items and it stays with the trailer if you need to use another vehicle in a pinch. I built and air gate that can be removed so the original ramps are still functional if I need to haul a old vehicle, which is my hobby. Later I added a homemade spring assist to help the raising of the ramp. Originally I had built sides for the front and all the way down both sides, so with the air gate it was boxed in completely. I had also added metal bows so it could be tarped and a spare tires holder on the side to get it out of my way. A few years ago I removed the rear 2/3 of the sides and added a trimmer holder to one side in the rear. Pretty efficient set up. It typically caries a 36" Encore hydro walk behind, a 21 big wheel push mower, a 60" and a 66" inch Hustler SZ, three string trimmers, an empty five gallon bucket, a one gallon jug, a garden hose, and an aery of shovels, rakes, and such strapped to the inside front wall. That leaves my blowers and gas cans in the bed of my truck, which I'm still kicking around placing on the trailer some how. I had bought everything to make a side ramp at the front right corner so I could unload my push, walk behind, etc. without pulling the SZs off but decided against it since I have very few accounts where they're used anyway. Next is a 20' white enclosed trailer with rear ramp, front ramp, and pedestrian door anyway. :)

I've eliminated Exmark as of yesterday mostly due to dealer. Talked to an Ohio friend that has run them for years and has nothing but good to say about them. Has one that has over 3000 still going as a back up and has never changed the hydro fluid ever. I think they're a nice mower, more compact then some which is nice, which negatively effects the ride, they cut very well, but have a big price tag. IMO they haven't moved forward with the product. Luckily they had a good product to begin with.

Hustler is still a contender. I keep my machines well maintained and they look pretty good IMO. They still have the best warranty, best pump system than anyone out there by far, hopefully a great deck with the new VX4, faster cutting speed, overly built deck. They don't have the isolated platform or the cheaper price.

The other contender is the Gravely 400 for me. Very Husky like IMO. Which is a good thing so far. Maybe a nicer deck height adjust system and pretty sweet seat. Holds more fuel than either of the above mentioned. Faster cutting speed then the FX but I don't know about the ZT. I can't find the ZT's cutting top speeds listed anywhere.

mtmower
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
As I've stated before, I disagree on the top speed not weighing into the factor. Time is money. All I can tell you guys that haven't had the speed, is that once you've had it, going to a slower ZT feels like your back to mowing with a garden tractor. To each his own. But there must be enough of us out there that can and do use it to build and market them. Can you do with out it? Sure many people do due to cost, lack of need, or personality. I can see some down sides, especially if it's not you running the machine but a crew. And there is a learning curve. And yes you have to be smart about it and not use the speed everywhere to the point the cut quality suffers. And I believe it puts more demands on the mower so it needs to be built to handle it. I'm guessing this is the cause for some of the earlier Hustler hydro issues I've read about and the reason for the new models over build. But it's like going from iridescent headlights, to halogen, to HID. It's similar to going from a 60" to a 66" to a 72" deck. I don't think I'd ever need or want to go to a 72" but that extra 6" from 60 to 66 seems like the world. I know it's just 6" but your done faster. The 60" actually seems small after running it. That being said when I sell my 66 I'll probably replace it with a 60 so all my blades match, my dethatcher can be used on either, and my bagging system can be left on and still easily get it on and off the trailer. If you have the properties that allow it, don't sell it short till you've used it.

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all info guys. I have narrowed my choice down to the 29 or 34 kawi. I have the 30hp Kohler on my 60" tank now and it really bogs down, even when you push the sticks forward fast. Its a smooth running engine, starts every time and purrs like a kitty cat! But the power is somewhat non existent.

On the other hand I have a 2003 61" Husqvarna with 3100 hours on it, 27hp Kohler and that thing runs like a rapped ape! Funny how the older kohlers run better and stronger.... to bad the deck sucks ass! Im really looking forward to trying these new PZ mowers!!

David, I have no plans on mulching, as up here in Ohio we have alot of wet THICK grass that doesnt mow well,, let alone mulch well... Im hoping the 29 has more power than the 30, ah heck for alittle more dough I might as well go with the 34!

Jim Q thank you again for all the info. One last question, does running the spindle driven bagger unit wipe out more bearings in the spindle? I would think it has more wear and more heat....

M

Federal Lawn Company
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
You'll like the 20'er. I lucked out and had a new 20' car hauler before I started my company and had to use it due to $S. Put a tongue/wedge style tool box on the front if you can right away. Nicer then crawling in the truck bed for items and it stays with the trailer if you need to use another vehicle in a pinch. I built and air gate that can be removed so the original ramps are still functional if I need to haul a old vehicle, which is my hobby. Later I added a homemade spring assist to help the raising of the ramp. Originally I had built sides for the front and all the way down both sides, so with the air gate it was boxed in completely. I had also added metal bows so it could be tarped and a spare tires holder on the side to get it out of my way. A few years ago I removed the rear 2/3 of the sides and added a trimmer holder to one side in the rear. Pretty efficient set up. It typically caries a 36" Encore hydro walk behind, a 21 big wheel push mower, a 60" and a 66" inch Hustler SZ, three string trimmers, an empty five gallon bucket, a one gallon jug, a garden hose, and an aery of shovels, rakes, and such strapped to the inside front wall. That leaves my blowers and gas cans in the bed of my truck, which I'm still kicking around placing on the trailer some how. I had bought everything to make a side ramp at the front right corner so I could unload my push, walk behind, etc. without pulling the SZs off but decided against it since I have very few accounts where they're used anyway. Next is a 20' white enclosed trailer with rear ramp, front ramp, and pedestrian door anyway. :)

I've eliminated Exmark as of yesterday mostly due to dealer. Talked to an Ohio friend that has run them for years and has nothing but good to say about them. Has one that has over 3000 still going as a back up and has never changed the hydro fluid ever. I think they're a nice mower, more compact then some which is nice, which negatively effects the ride, they cut very well, but have a big price tag. IMO they haven't moved forward with the product. Luckily they had a good product to begin with.

Hustler is still a contender. I keep my machines well maintained and they look pretty good IMO. They still have the best warranty, best pump system than anyone out there by far, hopefully a great deck with the new VX4, faster cutting speed, overly built deck. They don't have the isolated platform or the cheaper price.

The other contender is the Gravely 400 for me. Very Husky like IMO. Which is a good thing so far. Maybe a nicer deck height adjust system and pretty sweet seat. Holds more fuel than either of the above mentioned. Faster cutting speed then the FX but I don't know about the ZT. I can't find the ZT's cutting top speeds listed anywhere.

I put Gorilla Lifts on my 16 and it saved my back a lot, but this 20 has the reinforced SPLIT gate, so I'll be able to get by without the Gorillas ( think). I've been pulling with my Dodge lately, but once I get my GMC 3500HD Diesel Dump back on the road (gotta put on 2 new doors, a new fender, a new hood and a new grille, which I've had for a YEAR and been too lazy to do), that truck has BOXES for all my trimmers, edgers, shovels, rakes, blowers, etc. I REALLY miss it. Those boxes are SO nice! I just finished 3000 PSI Pressure Washing the entire trailer yesterday, and wire-brushed the entire gate and applied OSPHO with a roller and a brush. I've decided to paint it like Battleship Gray....it looks more, well, FEDERAL *snicker* and I'm kinda tired of black, and cover the deck with a few coats of Thompsons. This trailer is COVERED with surface rust....but she'll be OK when I'm done. I got it for $1400, so I can't complain, I guess. I'll post up a couple of pics...i've reduced them by HALF, so I hope they aren't huge. And an older pic of my GMC with the boxes...if you can find one like that, GET the thing! And yeah, don't get me wrong, if you don't have props that you have to clean up afterwards, like Apts, no mulcher is great, but everything I have I have to contend with getting rid of the clippings, which the mulcher does. And for speed, yeah, that PZ is SO MUCH faster than my 25 Lazer, and it does make a huge difference....in some places. But a lot of props I have are rough as a cobb, and I slow down so I won't just beat the thing to death....not that it couldn't take it, though, and that seat comes in a CLOSE second to the seats in my Supras, and that says a lot! That PZ seat is just like sitting in your recliner in your living room...I thought my suspension seat on the Lazer was comfortable, but the PZ's is so comfortable, I look FORWARD to getting my skinny butt in it! I saved the steel box of my 16 for the 20, but it won't fit on the tongue without moving the tongue jack, and it's WELDED on, so I'm trying to decide if I want to cut it, or just put the box at the front of the bed, screwed down so I can take it out if I need to...I gotta see how my mowers are going to sit. I'm fairly sure I'll have plenty of room. Sorry to hijack the thread here...I just realized that's probably what I'm doing, but I'm just addressing the questions where they were asked....and then some...sorry! I gotta get out there and work on that trailer...and put the new 25 on the Lazer....which I WAS gonna do yesterday. Regards to you all....it's about "tan time"...and I guess I'm glad for that. Kinda.
-David Innis

JimQ
03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
... 'One last question, does running the spindle driven bagger unit wipe out more bearings in the spindle? I would think it has more wear and more heat....'
M

I had to think about this for a second.

Believe it or not, in this case, the presence of a spindle driven blower should actually reduce the bearing load on the right side spindle.

I figured a picture would explain it better than I could.

Notice how the belts oppose each other. So do the loads. The smaller belt load of the spindle driven blower should reduce the load imparted by the deck belt.

That being said, the loads imparted on all of the other deck drive components, spindles, idlers, clutch, belt, etc would be increased because of the addition power requirements of the blower. I don't think it's enough to worry about though.

Q

Federal Lawn Company
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I had to think about this for a second.

Believe it or not, in this case, the presence of a spindle driven blower should actually reduce the bearing load on the right side spindle.

I figured a picture would explain it better than I could.

Notice how the belts oppose each other. So do the loads. The smaller belt load of the spindle driven blower should reduce the load imparted by the deck belt.

That being said, the loads imparted on all of the other deck drive components, spindles, idlers, clutch, belt, etc would be increased because of the addition power requirements of the blower. I don't think it's enough to worry about though.

Q

Folks like you are why I enjoy chatting on here. The wealth of information from folks that are familliar with the things they are talking about...priceless. I appreciate you guys and gals so much. "Won't you be my neighbor" *chuckle*
--David

JimQ
03-09-2012, 09:06 AM

Glad to help David. I agree with you. The body of information created when everyone shares their experiences is incredible!

Q

mtmower
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
X2 on the helpful info Mr. Rodgers. Do you know what the top speed of the ZT is in the mowing gear by chance?

JimQ
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
X2 on the helpful info Mr. Rodgers. Do you know what the top speed of the ZT is in the mowing gear by chance?

12mph without pressing the transport pedal. 18mph in transport

Hint: If you want to cut faster, there is an easy way to defeated a switch that will make that happen.

Q

mtmower
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
12mph without pressing the transport pedal. 18mph in transport

Hint: If you want to cut faster, there is an easy way to defeated a switch that will make that happen.

Q

Good to know. I was guessing the faster cut could be made possible, but it's really good to know that it's easy switch to defeat!

dhill4547
03-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I have 2 Huskys LOVE them

mtmower
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I have 2 Huskys LOVE them

How many hrs. do you have on them? I'm concerned with longevity. Are these machines that could come close to 3000-4000 hr mark that some of the big brands are able to hit? How's cut quality and have you used any other brand to compare them to? So far I'm impressed on paper. I wish they had larger fuel tanks and hope the pumps/wheel motors are good.

RoyalTree
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
They are built like tanks and look like they will hold up great. the cut is great, very comparable to,velocity plus decks
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
03-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Am I understanding correctly that the PZ have rubber isolator system on the foot pan and under the seat? Then they also have a suspension seat in addition to the rubber isolators? Similar to Gravely 400 with an air seat?

JimQ
03-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Am I understanding correctly that the PZ have rubber isolator system on the foot pan and under the seat? Then they also have a suspension seat in addition to the rubber isolators? Similar to Gravely 400 with an air seat?

Yep, the foot pan, sticks and seat are isolated from the chassis. In addition, there is also a suspension seat.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3739719&postcount=263

Here is the original PZ thread with a bunch more info.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=288680

Q

mtmower
03-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Jim, Thanks again for the info. Quite the thread. Does anyone have any feedback on reliability and QOC with high hrs. and from up north?

castlerockmo
03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Jim, Thanks again for the info. Quite the thread. Does anyone have any feedback on reliability and QOC with high hrs. and from up north?

I dont have but 250 or so on mine. I sure dont see why they won't hold up for 3,000 plus hours. Heck I have a husqvarna trimmer thats got 3000 hours! Thats says something! Haha I do love my machine!
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
03-11-2012, 01:08 AM
We have 2 with about 1300 hrs in 10 months but we are cutting southern grass. This has been the mower with the least downtime for us.

Jim, i am looking at purchasing a used 6030 that is an engineering sample. Anything i should look at that you figured out before final model was released? I can get it for next to nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Anybody know the size blades the new decks take

54 inch deck is it a 18inch blade?

72 inch deck is it a 25 inch blade?

Thanks!

M

I would imagine the new 54 deck is a longer blade, if not why would they change it to a 54 instead just keep it like the 52...

JimQ
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
We have 2 with about 1300 hrs in 10 months but we are cutting southern grass. This has been the mower with the least downtime for us.

Jim, i am looking at purchasing a used 6030 that is an engineering sample. Anything i should look at that you figured out before final model was released? I can get it for next to nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'm sure I uncrated, assembled, and visited that machine more than a few times while we were developing the PZ. I see you're from Miami. It could have been one that was placed with Vila and Son. (if not, any idea where it came from?)

If it's a proto 6030 It will have a few stickers (white stickers with black lettering) on it. Look under the seat, on the frame, and on the deck. They state "Husqvarna Engineering Sample" and have a phone number which was a direct line to my old desk. Don't call. I won't answer! :laugh: It will also have an ETS # (Engineering Test Sample) on it.

Oh there were a few changes alright. A couple weak areas in the frame were addressed. The front deck hangers were changed. Cracks developed where the brackets were welded to the front cross tube. More beef was also added to the frame rails in the area of the rear deck lift cross shaft.

One positive, it will have the larger hydro system, not the smaller system that the 6030 went into production with.

Seems like the blade spindle and housing changed. It looks similar but it is shorter that the current production spindle. The spindles on there require a blade spacer to drop the blade, the new ones don't. So, If you have a spindle issue, you may be replacing all three spindles. That would get expensive.

I believe Husqvarna still supports them as far as parts are concerned. There should be about 50 of them floating around scattered across the US.

There was quite a bit of other small stuff but nothing big enough to stop you from buying the machine. Heck, if the price is right, pick it up.

Q

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Jim

Any ideas on the blade sizes?

Also, why did they take away the spacer? I like the option to lower or raise the blade..... Would have been nice.

M

JimQ
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Jim

Any ideas on the blade sizes?

Also, why did they take away the spacer? I like the option to lower or raise the blade..... Would have been nice.

M

72" deck - 25" blade
54" deck - 19" blade

5/8" center hole.

The cast iron spindle was originally developed for a commercial walk behind with a shallower deck. It also utilized a star drive like the consumer stuff so it wouldn't self-tighten the blade bolt.

The star drive idea got canned (thank goodness. I hated that)

So, on the proto PZ's the spacer covered up the original star drive and dropped the blade lower in the deck shell.

Q

RoyalTree
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks jim! Got all the stickers. When would you have delivered this machine to miami? How many did they get?

It is currently sitting in my trailer. It comes from villa. It has about 1000 hours. I am getting my mechanic to go over and fix a few things tomorrow and by monday i should have a new crew out with her. I am looking for a 16 or 18 foot enclosed trailer to put her and one more mower to be picked up this week. If anybody has a lightly used trailer let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Jim, Thanks again for all the info!

Question,

Im planning on running a 5426 with the triple bagger, do I need to run weights up front? Or counter weight on the trim side of the deck? I didnt see one being run in the husq. book. Just curious...

Thanks!!!
M

JimQ
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks jim! Got all the stickers. When would you have delivered this machine to miami? How many did they get?

We delivered most of those machines in early February 2009.

It seems like Vila had 6 -10 spread out at a few different locations. Miami, West Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie, Fort Myers.

Q

JimQ
03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Jim, Thanks again for all the info!

Question,

Im planning on running a 5426 with the triple bagger, do I need to run weights up front? Or counter weight on the trim side of the deck? I didnt see one being run in the husq. book. Just curious...

Thanks!!!
M

I run a 60" with a bagger without weights and the front end gets a little light when the bags a full. No need for counter weight on the trim side.

I'd bet with the smaller 54" deck the front end would get pretty light. I can't say for certain but my guess says you'll need the weights. Heck, order the collection system but not the weights. Try it out. If you feel like you need them, then spend the $$$.

Q

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Jim,

Quick question... I just picked up my new pz5426 and pz7234. I could not find any grease fittings on the pump idlers or the the pulley on the deck? Is this the design? If so that is kinda nice... No grease to worry about.

Thanks for the info!

M

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Also, Do they offer other blades for the PZ series? It comes with the standard lift type. I wanna try some high lifts and some with the notch on the back.

As always thank you for the info!

M

JimQ
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Jim,

Quick question... I just picked up my new pz5426 and pz7234. I could not find any grease fittings on the pump idlers or the the pulley on the deck? Is this the design? If so that is kinda nice... No grease to worry about.

Thanks for the info!

M

You're right. There are sealed ball bearings in both the deck and hydro idlers arm pivots. If I remember right, the only grease points on the PZ's are the blade spindles.

Q

JimQ
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Also, Do they offer other blades for the PZ series? It comes with the standard lift type. I wanna try some high lifts and some with the notch on the back.

As always thank you for the info!

M

Yep, they sure do. They ship with "standard" blades on them. The same blades that were used on the TunnelRams as a matter of fact. (that's a long, painful, frustrating story for me... :cry: )

Low lift, High lift, Wavy mulch, and Gator mulch are all available through Husqvarna.

The PZ deck was designed and tested using the high lift blades. They consume more power but the deck really performs well with them.

We did some testing with a notched high lift and when pushed, they left a small strip of uncut grass inline with notch in the foil on the trim side. I believe a vortex developed off of the inside tip of the foil and pushed the grass down. I don't think we ever verified the theory with CFD data. All I can tell you is they didn't work well for us in the conditions we tested in.

The Husqvarna high lift is a heck of a blade. 3" wide, 1/4" thick, extended cutting edge and a full formed foil (not notched). It's my personal favorite on the PZ deck as long as the engine on the machine has the giddy-up to drive them.

Q

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Q,

You the man! Thanks again for the info!!!

M

PS. So far so good! I mowed with the 54 on Friday, have not had a chance to use the 72 its been to wet here! I am very pleased with the cut! Tall semi wet grass here in NE Ohio and NOT 1 clump! very very happy!!

Only concern I have is the 26hp Kawi. I hope it will run the bagger unit when I do install it. Seems like it has enough power but who knows.... Im hoping with break in time the engine will loosen up alittle and have a tick more GO. We will see....

mtmower
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Q,

I wonder if you can give me feed back on the deck supports. It looks like all of them come off the front of the frame then attach to the front of the deck. The frame hangers look frail in the pictures. I've nailed some awful stuff at high speed with my deck (stalled the machine and I ended up half way off the machine) and not that I ever want it to happen again but I'm concerned that those hangers would just fold back or brake off.

JimQ
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Q,

I wonder if you can give me feed back on the deck supports. It looks like all of them come off the front of the frame then attach to the front of the deck. The frame hangers look frail in the pictures. I've nailed some awful stuff at high speed with my deck (stalled the machine and I ended up half way off the machine) and not that I ever want it to happen again but I'm concerned that those hangers would just fold back or brake off.

You don't have to worry about the deck struts. They're cast iron. The strut hanger brackets on the frame wrap around the front frame tube. I don't think you need to worry about them either.

You will, however, need to replace the nylon strut bushings from time to time. They wear out and the deck swings from side to side.

Q

mtmower
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
You don't have to worry about the deck struts. They're cast iron. The strut hanger brackets on the frame wrap around the front frame tube. I don't think you need to worry about them either.

You will, however, need to replace the nylon strut bushings from time to time. They wear out and the deck swings from side to side.

Q

Good to know. Wasn't sure what to call them. The hangers are what I was wondering about. Thanks again.

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Jim.
Finally ran the 7234 today! Not to happy. The engine is a real turd! Have you heard anyone complaining of lack of hp? I called my dealer he said it might need break in time.... rpm is 3600 set from the dealer with deck on. Soon as you mow you can hear the deck slowing down. I had the same engine only 37 hp model on my cub tank 72 and you could NOT stop it!

Any ideas? Carburetor?
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Jim.
Finally ran the 7234 today! Not to happy. The engine is a real turd! Have you heard anyone complaining of lack of hp? I called my dealer he said it might need break in time.... rpm is 3600 set from the dealer with deck on. Soon as you mow you can hear the deck slowing down. I had the same engine only 37 hp model on my cub tank 72 and you could NOT stop it!

Any ideas? Carburetor?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm with you. It is my opinion that the 72" PZ would benefit from more hp. The 34 Kawi is OK (definitely not over powered) on the 60". I would love to see the big Vanguards on the PZ series. The 36hp Vanguard on the 72" and the 32hp Vanguard on the 60" would be great.

Q

SLMLLC
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I really like my pz6029. Starting to have a few problems with the kawasaki. Blew crank seal today with 800 hrs. I am looking at new mower and more than likely going to get another pz6029. Looked at exmark lazarZ, way to expensive almost $2000.00 difference.

mtmower
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
I really like my pz6029. Starting to have a few problems with the kawasaki. Blew crank seal today with 800 hrs. I am looking at new mower and more than likely going to get another pz6029. Looked at exmark lazarZ, way to expensive almost $2000.00 difference.

Crank seal at 800 doesn't sound good. Does the 29 diesel have enough hp/torque? Do you know how many gpm the 29 diesel uses? I've been curious if the change in hp ratings is also going to show up on the diesel mowers and if it's actually putting out less then 29 hp.

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
So basically im stuck with an underpowered Mower? Being the 34 shares the same block as the 37. Can't we do something with carburetor to give it more go? If not I don't want it. Its horrible on power.....
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
I have a concern about the two speed pumps in the ZT and Cheetah. If I buy the ZT, the cut out switch to the deck for the higher speed may somehow get disconnected or routed around. My concern would be that the pumps may not hold up well under these higher demands. I believe this is what some people have experienced with the early larger Hustler pumps. Even though they had a large reservoir, oil cooler, separate electric fan, and special additives they were still having some pump issues in the 1000-1500 hr. mark. I believe this is the reason for the huge overbuild on the 2011 and newer Hustlers.

mtmower
03-29-2012, 12:58 PM
So basically im stuck with an underpowered Mower? Being the 34 shares the same block as the 37. Can't we do something with carburetor to give it more go? If not I don't want it. Its horrible on power.....
Posted via Mobile Device

You may already know this but if not, the engine on you PZ is a FX921V which by the old lax hp rating system may have been rated at 34 hp but is now more accurately rated at 31hp. So you are running a 31 hp motor. Short of improving after brake in, you may be able to put a lesser blade (something other than high lift) and gain some more power, but depending on what your cutting, it is possible the QOC may suffer.

I have seen a couple of threads that talked about a carb shaft change out that gave the next step up in hp from the engine. I think it was in reference to JD
mowers. It sounded like $20-$30 dollars in parts and a little over 1/2 hr. labor.
If I'm reading it right, Kaw, and probably other brands, detune the carb., not allowing full movement of throttle plate, etc. so they can charge you another $500-$1500 dollars more for the change in hp.

Might try and run a thread. It may get deleted.

JABBERS
04-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks tmower for the thread. Im also concerned with this years 31 hp kaw and spinning that 72 inch deck. Im stuck right now and mowing season is here

JABBERS
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I have a 72 inch hustler with a 25 hp kaw and its not that bad. I only mow about 5 - 7 mph and it cuts ok. I think a new 31 hp on a new 472 should perform good.

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I figured it out. I put a tach on the engine it was 300 rpm down. I turned it up and its better !
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks tmower for the thread. Im also concerned with this years 31 hp kaw and spinning that 72 inch deck. Im stuck right now and mowing season is here

No worries. I just wish I could go back the thread heading and correctly spell Husqvarna. :hammerhead:

I'm still up in the air with what to buy myself. Should be cutting some real grass in a week or two then I hope to demo some.

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I figured it out. I put a tach on the engine it was 300 rpm down. I turned it up and its better !
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I'm glad that it is doing better. I ran that same engine last year for a few weeks on a Deere Z960, and while it had the 60" deck instead of the 72", it was the MOD deck, and it was fall so we had a ton of leaves to mulch, and it had way more power than ever needed for the 60". I seriously doubt that the 72" creates that much more demand. Some, I know, but not so much that your engine should feel like a dog powering it.

I asked my dealer to make sure my new Kawi was set correctly for RPM's before they delivered it to me last week, because so many guys here have reported that their new engines are coming from their dealer "de-tuned" so to speak. I think the dealers do that to keep warranty issues to a minimum or something, figuring that most guys won't check RPM's.

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I bought a tiny tach and checked it. I will be doing this all the time from now on! They are rated for 3600 +- 50 rpm. So it is set there!
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
How much was your tiny tach and were did you buy it?

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Ebay. 50 bucks shipped!
Posted via Mobile Device

JABBERS
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
How do they work?

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Very well! It shows hours and minutes! Then when engine is on it shows rpm to the 10!
Posted via Mobile Device

JABBERS
04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Easy to hook up?

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
No. 2 wires.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Lol I meant yes easy
Posted via Mobile Device