PDA

View Full Version : Your Take On: GRASS

205mx
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Which do you think looks better?
Grows better, Faster, stronger. etc...

Pleas include the area you live in. It will be interesting to see who likes what.

Thanks y'all
:drinkup:

weeze
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
centipede in the southeast. it's thick and full and chokes out any weeds as well as any other types of grass. :D

GMLC
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
This should be a great thread. KGB/Fescue mix in the north east. Gives you that deep green lawn!
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Imitation. Stays green year round. Needs no maintenance.

jbell36
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
definitely fescue...bluegrass second...both look very similar but fescue is easier to take care of...we have some warm season grasses here but i think they look absolutely terrible...don't know much about centipede but i'm sure it's a warm season grass which just doesn't have that thick lush green look...also can't stripe warm season grasses very well

weeze
02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
yeah centipede is a warm season grass and doesn't stripe at all. it's very thick and you cut it short here in the south. here's a pic of centipede.

http://i52.tinypic.com/332ow93.jpg

TNGrassCutter
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
A tall fescue lawn here in TN looks great to me, grows good and thick in spring and fall, and one of the only grasses that will stripe here. Bermuda grass looks good when its just Bermuda, I can't stand Bermuda with weeds in it, especially when its dormant.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
A tall fescue lawn here in TN looks great to me, grows good and thick in spring and fall, and one of the only grasses that will stripe here. Bermuda grass looks good when its just Bermuda, I can't stand Bermuda with weeds in it, especially when its dormant.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: that is the norm around where i live. very few yards that are 100% bermuda with no weeds. the bermuda does look good if it doesn't have weeds in it but weeds generally are in it unless it's treated on a regular basis which doesn't happen often where i live. alot of the bermuda yards have fescue and weeds in them as well. that's why i like centipede. it keeps it all looking the same with no weeds or other grasses getting mixed in. you don't even have to treat it either. :)

205mx
02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
ST. Augustine anybody?

Florida Gardener
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm going to have to go with zoysia cut at 1.25 in or less with a reel. I live in south Florida. I'm sick of St Augustine, but i do like the Seville cultivar. It's tighter than floratam and can be cut a little shorter than floratam.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Tall fescue hands down is my favorite and kentucky bluegrass would be my second favorite.

Here in Charlotte,nc we get the best of both worlds since were in the transition zone. Bermuda can look nice but it has its place and most of my clients hate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

michael14
02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Tall fescue in nw tn, but ever body plants Bermuda. Even my yard is Bermuda I want to change to fescue kbg mix though.

Mikegyver
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
ST. Augustine anybody?
St Aug is my favorite. Love those wide blades! Unless I just got it confused with cent again :dizzy:

205mx
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Tall fescue in nw tn, but ever body plants Bermuda. Even my yard is Bermuda I want to change to fescue kbg mix though.

How would you go about this?

205mx
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I think Bermuda and St Augustine look great. But I know that Bahia grows pretty fast. Even in the summer heat- which is good for us "Green Collar" guys!

MOW ED
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
All I really know is KY blue/fescue and rye mixtures up here. I do think you transition zone guys have the best opportunity to check out different types of grass more tha I can. I only get to see the different types when I am on vacation. Cool, warm or in between - either way, it beats xeriscape!

TNGrassCutter
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
How would you go about this?

Probably a few strong apps of gly on the Bermuda, then a lot of treatments later of the selective herbicide that kills Bermuda and doesn't harm fescue, can't remember the name of it right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cloud9Landscapes
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
For me it's Hybrid Bermuda all the way. There is no other grass that is as durable and versatile as it, and when mowed correctly looks beautiful.

And here is one you've never heard of, Kikuyu grass. Problem is it's hard to find a herbicide and it has thatch problems. But it forms the densest lawn you've ever seen and you can't kill it.

Florida Gardener
02-28-2012, 11:47 AM
For me it's Hybrid Bermuda all the way. There is no other grass that is as durable and versatile as it, and when mowed correctly looks beautiful.

And here is one you've never heard of, Kikuyu grass. Problem is it's hard to find a herbicide and it has thatch problems. But it forms the densest lawn you've ever seen and you can't kill it.
I see you live in Cali. I want to move to San Diego in the next 5 years. Do a lot of high end accounts use hybrid Bermuda? Are guys cutting with reels? What is your avg account per month with hybrid Bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't need to or choose to bag, so Fescue ROCKS. I find it provides enough space below the cut to hide the clippings well.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Kentucky bluegrass is my favorite but it turns really yellow on those hot summer months when it gets on the 100* mark

jbell36
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Tall fescue hands down is my favorite and kentucky bluegrass would be my second favorite.

Here in Charlotte,nc we get the best of both worlds since were in the transition zone. Bermuda can look nice but it has its place and most of my clients hate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

i would have to strongly disagree...i hate warm season grasses...we are also in the transition zone and bermuda is always a problem here, it seems like 60-70% of our lawns have at least some bermuda invading