PDA

View Full Version : Z950A or Z925A EFI????

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I would like to either purchase a Z950A or Z925 EFI both with 60" Decks. Which would you recommend and why??? Thanks

weeze
02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
the efi will get better gas mileage. personally i wouldn't even consider a z950. if i was gonna spend that much i would get a scag cheetah instead with 61" deck. it comes with suspension platform and 16mph transport speed and probably at a cheaper cost.

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Improved gph would be a great plus, however I'm afraid the efi wont have the torque to power through tall wet grass.

scotts lawn care
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
The 950 is really going to use the fuel. If your set on the 60" deck get the 925 efi.

weeze
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
925a will do fine. i cut through wet grass with my 920a just fine.

Ridin' Green
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
The 950 was their 31 HP option. Now Kawi has it shown as 27 HP under the new system of measuring HP. It is not one of the big block series of engines that were known for high fuel use compared to the rest of their line, and I've never hard anyone claim that the 950 was really bad on fuel useage. I'd take one of them long before I'd pay all the extra money for the EFI (which is now rated at 24.5 HP). It'll take quite a bit of fuel to make up the difference in cost of the EFI. Just MO

ramcat
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
We have 1200 hours on our Z950A. Both of these mowers are great choices in my opinion. I would not get the scag cheetah, I demoed one and the hydros were stiff, it was hard to see the wheels to make sure you aren't spinning and it felt huge. I love our Z950A, but it does really suck the fuel. I would see if I could demo the Z925A EFI on a wet day to make sure it has the power you want and if it does or it is close I would recommend that.

luckylawnboy
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
With todays fuel prices go efi on a 60 inch mower it will be fine. A deere deck requires less hp than exmark or other mowers. It flows air much more freely thus only cutting the blades a few times compared to exmark which re cuts clipping more finely which robs power. I have ran almost every mower and this come from experience. I have a 970 and it uses some fuel but also cuts a lot of acres!

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know what the new torque values are for the Kohler EFI under the new rating system???

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Also, the the Z950A is priced $500.00 more than the Z925A EFI.

weeze
02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
i guess i should tell you that the z920a uses about the same amount of gas as the z925a efi and has 1 less hp. the price is alot cheaper. :laugh: thousands cheaper.

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I also have a z920a and have been really happy it, it has a 54" deck and has been a great mower, but the 10.5 top speed and that it does give me some trouble climbing steep hills once in a while, I think I would like to have at least the 925.

Ridin' Green
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I also have a z920a and have been really happy it, it has a 54" deck and has been a great mower, but the 10.5 top speed and that it does give me some trouble climbing steep hills once in a while, I think I would like to have at least the 925.

But it's only one more HP under the new rating system (23.5 for the 920 vs 24.5 for the 925), so I can't see how that will help. I think you'd have to go to at least the 930 to see a difference on hills.

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
It was only 1hp difference under the old system as well, I own both a Z920A 54" and a Z925A 54" (NON EFI) and the Z925A will mow circles around the Z920A. It is faster, more responsive, can climb hills with ease, and mow through taller/wetter grass with ease. I know the two sound almost identical but there is a big difference between the two at least in my opinion. Also, the Z920A comes with a 730cc engine while the Z925A comes with a 852cc, which results in alot more engine torque.

Fresh-popcorn
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I have a 950A which I have been using for the past two years. Love the power, speed, cut quality, & responsiveness but it does drink the gas.
Put it through quite a bit last year due to the weird weather and probably took it beyond its max ability when cutting some pretty thick tall grass on one of my properties I own.

frameslawn
02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Popcorn, I also have a 997, how does the power and overall capability compare to that of the z950a? thanks

Fresh-popcorn
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I just got my 997 delivered a few weeks ago so I haven't been able to use it yet but having it out when the weather was nice (no snow on the ground) just to get a feel for it there is some large differences between the two.
950 is more responsive and deck lift is much faster. Love the foot brake compared to the hand lever on the 997.
997 just feels so much more Heavy duty. When moving it the weight and feeling is hard to describe. Once the blades are engaged it sounds much different than the 950.
The 997 has the feeling that It can handle anything I put it though, This spring will be the real test though.

weeze
02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
mine does fine on hills. i mean i'm not flying up hills at 10mph or anything though. :laugh: i'm not sure what hills means. it's something different to everybody. i'm mowing a steep hill yard tomorrow. my z920a climbs them pretty well. i guess if you mow a long rolling hill then the more hp would be a plus on the z950a. the yard i mow with a steep hill is about 1/3 acre lot. it's really steep though. any steeper it wouldn't matter how much hp or torque you had because you wouldn't have any traction. :laugh:

frameslawn
02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Jason, I think my main problem is that several of my lawns are foreclosures and I am mowing them every two weeks and cutting off several inches of growth and many have large hills. The Z920 does a great job and has never left me unsatisfied, but since i have to purchased the z925 with the same sized deck (54") the extra hp and torque has been very useful to me. Both are awesome machines.

weeze
02-28-2012, 12:02 AM
yeah i agree. my next mower is gonna have like 34hp or something. :laugh: more power is always better it just sucks with the gas going up so much.

JimJohnson9
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
John Deere dropped off a 925a efi with the kohler(24.6) today. I started out pissing around with cut height then tested it out on one of my not-so-steep hills. Where the Ferris IS500Z I tried out last week(only demo unit the dealer had) would nose dive when trying to go sideways, this one did okay. The cut was great(set at 3.5"), the machine well built, and wide open it can fly. At this point I'm thinking I'll grab one but then I got to my 2 other hills which are a fair size(couldn't go sideways) and the thing just bogged right down going up. It didn't matter if the MOD was on or not. I moved over to a bit steeper incline and stalled it. The Ferris last week was barely making it up but could do it even though it seemed like a lot less machine. The only way I could do it today was if I crawled up at a snails pace, almost stopping when I heard the blades slowing. To it's credit, the tires never once spun and it could do it but it ended up taking 30-45 minutes longer than my old 318(now dead). Even with the mower off, I had to almost rock the handles to get it up.
Is this just a problem with this model or are all the 900 series similar?

Also, can you guys recommend anything else that can tackle the hills? I need something to cut about 1.5 acres here and another .5(all flat) at our farm around the corner. I wanted to try a more commercial unit out(925) because I wouldn't mind it lasting a long time and all the residential machines look like crap. But if I have to spend 10 grand, it has to be able to do everything with ease!

My neighbour has his cut and the guys who do it have a Wright with the seat. Buddy was out this morning with dew and a lot steeper slopes than I have cutting sideways no problem so I'll try to find a dealer in my area but hoping you can point me to a few others as well.

I appreciate that a lot of you do this for a living and any help would be greatly appreciated.... thanks boys!

drakewylde
05-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I currently cut with a 925 efi and it does seem to be lacking in the power department. I have just over 85 hours on it and it seems to be breaking in a little and not bogging down as much in the heavy grass and hills. As far as fuel useage it seems to be doing a little over a gallon an hour on average. The cut quality in ths northern grasses is awesome, leaves the lawn looking like a carpet with no stragglers. Very pleased with the machine
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
About a month and a half ago, or a bit longer, I bought a Z950 with the 60" MOD deck. It goes up hills with no problem what so ever even with the MOD closed and mulching off 3-4" of wet grass. I just did that this AM with it. It sticks very well going sideways, and is very easy to turn without tearing the turf even when it is wet. I knew pretty much what to expect from it after running a Z960 last fall, but it has surpassed my expectations so far.

ProStreetCamaro
05-11-2012, 11:58 PM
You had the exact same experience I had with the 925A 60" demo I had last year. On any kind of incline it would bog down. Fantastic mower but that model is underpowered. Step it up to a 950 and I bet the bogging issue goes away.

John Deere dropped off a 925a efi with the kohler(24.6) today. I started out pissing around with cut height then tested it out on one of my not-so-steep hills. Where the Ferris IS500Z I tried out last week(only demo unit the dealer had) would nose dive when trying to go sideways, this one did okay. The cut was great(set at 3.5"), the machine well built, and wide open it can fly. At this point I'm thinking I'll grab one but then I got to my 2 other hills which are a fair size(couldn't go sideways) and the thing just bogged right down going up. It didn't matter if the MOD was on or not. I moved over to a bit steeper incline and stalled it. The Ferris last week was barely making it up but could do it even though it seemed like a lot less machine. The only way I could do it today was if I crawled up at a snails pace, almost stopping when I heard the blades slowing. To it's credit, the tires never once spun and it could do it but it ended up taking 30-45 minutes longer than my old 318(now dead). Even with the mower off, I had to almost rock the handles to get it up.
Is this just a problem with this model or are all the 900 series similar?

Also, can you guys recommend anything else that can tackle the hills? I need something to cut about 1.5 acres here and another .5(all flat) at our farm around the corner. I wanted to try a more commercial unit out(925) because I wouldn't mind it lasting a long time and all the residential machines look like crap. But if I have to spend 10 grand, it has to be able to do everything with ease!

My neighbour has his cut and the guys who do it have a Wright with the seat. Buddy was out this morning with dew and a lot steeper slopes than I have cutting sideways no problem so I'll try to find a dealer in my area but hoping you can point me to a few others as well.

I appreciate that a lot of you do this for a living and any help would be greatly appreciated.... thanks boys!

Jimslawncareservice
05-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I have a 950 with a 60" mod deck. I don't have problems going anywhere. I could get it to flip backwards or tip over sideways if I'm not careful. I put mulch blades on it this week. I can mow a lot off of sipping wet grass at a good pace too. I can mow hills where my turf tiger that I had wouldn't go. Maybe I'm a better operator since that mower, maybe its the mower. Only other mower that comes close is wright stander on hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
05-12-2012, 01:43 AM
bogging down? i cut 4-5ft tall weeds/grass the other day and my z920 didn't bog down. i wasn't mowing at 10mph though either. :laugh:

as for flipping over on a deere z900 i don't think it's even possible. the tires lose grip and slide before you ever risk flipping over. it's like a built in safety thing.

Jimslawncareservice
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Jason, come up here. I'll show you I could flip mine. I'll pay for your plane ticket if I'm wrong. If I'm right you pay your own way and my medical bills when I flip. Bring a wad of cash. I've been in 2 occasions this year alone that I thought I was a goner. I don't make bets that I don't know I won't win before hand. I'm sure I push my mower too far, but I like to know its limits. The one spot I nearly tipped my 445 tractor mower over a few years back.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimJohnson9
05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try to line up a demo on the 950. Are there any scalping issues with the 60" deck(I was leaning towards a 52)? Apparently I'm getting a wright later this week which I'm looking forward to, and I'll also try to get a kubota diesel down as well. I just need to check them out to see what model I should be looking at. I also found a hustler/exmark dealer as well so will see what I can do on that front too!

weeze
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Jason, come up here. I'll show you I could flip mine. I'll pay for your plane ticket if I'm wrong. If I'm right you pay your own way and my medical bills when I flip. Bring a wad of cash. I've been in 2 occasions this year alone that I thought I was a goner. I don't make bets that I don't know I won't win before hand. I'm sure I push my mower too far, but I like to know its limits. The one spot I nearly tipped my 445 tractor mower over a few years back.
Posted via Mobile Device

i guess anything is possible. i've mowing seriously steep hills with mine without any problems though.

Ridin' Green
05-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try to line up a demo on the 950. Are there any scalping issues with the 60" deck(I was leaning towards a 52)? Apparently I'm getting a wright later this week which I'm looking forward to, and I'll also try to get a kubota diesel down as well. I just need to check them out to see what model I should be looking at. I also found a hustler/exmark dealer as well so will see what I can do on that front too!

Not really, as long as you correctly adjust the gauge wheels and don't try to mow over any humps in a lawn at the cresrt of a knoll or something.

I have a Z950 just like Jim's. I can telll you first hand that they go pretty much anywhere that you can take any Z, and it is possible to flip one over if you don't pay atttention to what you're doing on hills. I haven't done it because I pay close attention in precarious situations, but this week at the top of a small but steep hill while I was turning to go back down (which wasn't the problem) I was paying close attention to how much stick I was giving it, and the front end came up without a lot of effort. The rear gets pretty good traction anywhere, but with the weight transfer (which is why I was paying extra attention) it is even more easy to do.

The 950 has plenty of cahones for mowing up and down hills IMO.

ProStreetCamaro
05-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Here you go you can hear it slow down in this video. This was thin turf on flat ground and no matter how quickly the sticks are moved it should not slow down at all. Prepare yourself before you watch it because as soon as you see it you will get a chuckle out of the driver.

http://youtu.be/taf8egKwHxU

The 925A should not have a 60" deck. Just not powerful enough.

weeze
05-13-2012, 12:49 AM
yeah they even make a 60" deck for the z920a. i knew there's no way it would have enough power for the bigger deck. it does fine with the 54" deck though. for the 60" deck you need the z950a.