PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mowers

shadetreelawns
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
If you clean your mowers, how often? What chemicals? Pressure washer? Just want to see what others do?

yardguy28
02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
unless i make a major oil mess my mowers never see water unless i get caught in the rain......

SLMGT
02-27-2012, 09:34 PM
The mowers are blown off daily and wiped down with a rag with degreaser on it occasionally after which the seats and fuel tanks are wiped down with armor all.

weeze
02-27-2012, 09:34 PM
i washed it once when i first bought it with turtle wax wash n wax just to keep it from fading. after that no water unless i get rained on while mowing. water makes everything squeak like the deck raising and lowering. :laugh: wd-40 to the rescue!!!

martinlawn29
02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
once a week for the most part. power washer on low with some purple power de-gresser don't let it sit on there too long ..blow off air filters wash with trailers and trucks.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Once a year with car wax.
Zipwax car wax to be exact.

scotts lawn care
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I blow mine off after each job and pressure wash 1-2 times each week.

Wax the truck and mowers at least 2-3 times a season. Eqiupment costs alot,

but soap,wax, and elbow grease are cheap. It also presents a clean, professional

image to have clean equipment. I have had customers tell me they appreciate the

fact that i take pride in my equipment. :)

kmzlawncare
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I blow mine off after each job and pressure wash 1-2 times each week.

Wax the truck and mowers at least 2-3 times a season. Eqiupment costs alot,

but soap,wax, and elbow grease are cheap. It also presents a clean, professional

image to have clean equipment. I have had customers tell me they appreciate the

fact that i take pride in my equipment. :)

I agree I try to keep all my stuff clean. I think you look alot more professional.

TopNotchLawnCare
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Mowers are washed weekly and waxed atleast once a month.

JB1
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
use a hot water pressure washer.

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM
I powerwash with just water about once a month (more often if it is muddy out) just to keep stuff clean. If I happen to spill oil or something I will use degreaser, but that is about it.

yardguy28
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
i'm curious to the ones that power wash all the time how long your equpipment lasts.

there are certain parts on each piece of equipment where water is harmfull like the electrical systems and spindles.

i've always been told its ok to wash your equipment but do not use pressure and avoid the electical areas and spindles as much as possible.

personally though i don't wash my equipment unless i've spilled grease, oil or gas. and since i have an enclosed trailer they only see water if i get caught working and it starts raining.

bohiaa
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
WOW......

When I 1st seen this post I was expecting Quite a diffrent ideal of what responces where given......

GENTELMEN :

you really need to read about grasses and the care of.

many times we wash our equipment throughout the day. this is how many deseses are spread.
as you should know. BROWN PATCH is spread from bladed equipemnt.
and chinch bugs too.

as far as the appearance of the machine. we clean them from time to time. and regreese everything.
But: these are NOT cars in an auto show.

BEST OF LUCK

Landscraper1
02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
If you clean your mowers, how often? What chemicals? Pressure washer? Just want to see what others do?

Once a week.
1-Clean off mower with a blower or air gun.

2-Use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green. Spray over the entire mower with a pump sprayer. Let soak while cleaning the deck

3-Lift deck and power wash aggresively to clean all grass buildup.

4-Place deck back down and power wash the rest off the mower with a fan spray nozzle.

5-Continue with the rest off your PM.

scotts lawn care
02-28-2012, 09:53 AM
i'm curious to the ones that power wash all the time how long your equpipment lasts.

there are certain parts on each piece of equipment where water is harmfull like the electrical systems and spindles.

i've always been told its ok to wash your equipment but do not use pressure and avoid the electical areas and spindles as much as possible.

personally though i don't wash my equipment unless i've spilled grease, oil or gas. and since i have an enclosed trailer they only see water if i get caught working and it starts raining.

I have not had any problems with the spindles, electrical or any parts from pressure washing. I dont put the nozzle close to any parts of my equipment, and actually use a rag and hand wash/scrub the machine - especially the deck.

GMLC
02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Mower is blown off after each job.
Deck cleaned everyday(sometimes more when wet).
Complete mower is cleaned with degreaser once a week. I use a garden hose to dizzle the water over the mower.