PDA

View Full Version : spring cleanup

1st Class
02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
can anyone help me on how to charge to trim/prune shrubs. I would like to charge one set price for each shrub, but do not have any idea what that would be.

Hughes Landscaping
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Your best option would be to charge based on the amount if time it takes with a minimum of $xx. So if your time is worth $60 an hour, charge based on the amount if time it will take you. But make sure you have a minimum charge of $30 or so, that way you won't waste your time doing one shrub that takes 5 minutes.

This is how we calculate our pruning and trimming prices. Don't forget to recoup your disposal fees also. We have to pay $20 to dump yard debris per trailer load.

green jeans 509
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Agreed to have a min charge. This year I am doing a $60 min charge because a couple times last year I got called to do some mild 1/2hr work. After driving there working and getting back home I charged $35. It took 20 min round trip=$20, say at least 1.5 gal of gas= $5, pay myself= $30. As you can see I already lost money so it won't happen like that again this yr. If you want a per bush rate up here most places (little guys) start at like $5 for a small bush maybe 2ft tall, $8-9 for med up to 4 ft and $12+ for anything over that. As cautioned though you may loose big time if you don't have a min charge. good luck

gimmejava
02-28-2012, 02:38 PM
My first couple of seasons, I charged per hedge based on the size. After a couple of seasons I got an idea of how long it would take, so I based the estimate on time with $/hour. Charging per bush is a good way not to get burned early on, but I definitely recommend having a minimum charge just for a site visit in case they only have you trim up a couple of bushes. That was an excellent suggestion from the previous post.

1st Class
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Your best option would be to charge based on the amount if time it takes with a minimum of $xx. So if your time is worth $60 an hour, charge based on the amount if time it will take you. But make sure you have a minimum charge of $30 or so, that way you won't waste your time doing one shrub that takes 5 minutes.

This is how we calculate our pruning and trimming prices. Don't forget to recoup your disposal fees also. We have to pay $20 to dump yard debris per trailer load. Thank you for your help

1st Class
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Agreed to have a min charge. This year I am doing a $60 min charge because a couple times last year I got called to do some mild 1/2hr work. After driving there working and getting back home I charged $35. It took 20 min round trip=$20, say at least 1.5 gal of gas= $5, pay myself= $30. As you can see I already lost money so it won't happen like that again this yr. If you want a per bush rate up here most places (little guys) start at like $5 for a small bush maybe 2ft tall, $8-9 for med up to 4 ft and $12+ for anything over that. As cautioned though you may loose big time if you don't have a min charge. good luck

thanks for your info, it will help

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Charge by the hour, not by shrub...save a severe pain the butikus.
Give an estimate slightly over what the job will be, then charge actual hours and come under the estimate, and you will be a hero!

Never contract a shrub job.