PDA

View Full Version : Striping Kit: AVAILABLE

Runner
08-08-2000, 01:31 AM
I have found a striping kit available (for Exmarks anyway) It looks like the same one that Guido has a pic of on his web site. Exmark just E-mailed me and said THEY don't have one BUT here is where you can find it. The site is: http://www.yorksheet.com/prod02.htm This is a fully greasable stainless steel roller that replaces the rear anti scalp rollers and goes all the way across the back of the deck. Avail. in 52, 60, and 72" widths. The first one to find out the price, please let us know!

geogunn
08-08-2000, 08:49 AM
I checked the website and my lesco 48 stripes as nicely as the stripes in the photo. no roller used.

I will admit,however, that I'd probably have trouble keeping lines that long as straight and consistent as those in the pic. but that's not the mowers fault.

check ericelm's site for more striping pics. no rollers used.

GEO

Lazer
08-08-2000, 10:47 AM
There are a number of factors that affect turf striping:
Height of cut
Turf type
Regularity of mowing in the same direction

I think the turf roller is a good idea and it cannot but improve striping.

I think it's important to note that commercial cutters almost always care more about striping than do your customers.

Scraper
08-08-2000, 11:06 AM
I got the Pro-Slide for my 52" Scag walk behind and it does 2 jobs in one. Gives me a ride and defines the stripes even more than the Scag already does on its own.

Runner
08-08-2000, 12:35 PM
Geo, I can surely understand what you mean about the stripes in the picture of the site. This looks like an ordinary cut to me. Why they used that is beyond me. I'm sure this product has much better results than this. And the pics on Eric's site were without a roller being used, but he has the chain type. (Which seems like it would be better anyhow.)

Evan528
08-08-2000, 05:09 PM
I have a costomer who always bitches about my striping! He says he hates the light green stripe and can i please cit his lawn without striping it. I will not do it. I have found that costomers that are golfer love my strping and also are the ones that request aerating before i even mention it.

Eric ELM
08-09-2000, 12:08 AM
Only 2 pictures on my site were mowed with the stripping kit. The bottom one on the first page and the one on the stripping page. All the others were taken without it on. I just got this kit.

John DiMartino
08-09-2000, 12:11 AM
i notice with my DChopper that the lower I cut the worse the stripe,especially at 3" or less.but with my steiner i can cut at1 1/2"and get a deep stripe because of its full width roller.

lawrence stone
08-09-2000, 12:27 AM
I gotta get me one of those babys for my 62" Toro that I use on the sports fields.

I sould be able to adapt the 60" model w/o much problem.

Evan528
08-09-2000, 12:39 AM
lawrence, Toro now has a striping kit as a optioin to go on a 62inch deck.

lawrence stone
08-09-2000, 01:01 AM
The toro striping kit from what I understand is just a piece
of industrial rubber that hangs off the back of the deck.

I don't think it will hold up as good as that stainless
roller welded to the back of the deck. Plus it is bound to
wear out pretty quickly.

I also have issues on how the rubber will hold up when
you load and unload the mower from the trailer. You can bet that stainless roller will be able to take a beating.

yardsmith
08-09-2000, 03:54 AM
Looks just like the roller that steiner has been making for years, & yes they do improve your stripe. If you already have a good stripe, then this should improve it even better.
The decks on steiners have hyd. lift to clear any curbs or other obstacles, so it doesn't get dinged up.

DBALLARD
08-09-2000, 09:09 AM
I have a Toro and it stripes just fine. Its true the higher and thicker the grass the better the stripe. The yards I have trouble getting a stripe are the new yards - Yards that are a less that a couple years old (they just are not good and established yet). I don't think a stripe kit could make these yards look any better. Stripe kits just don't seem worth it, but I won't say I'll NEVER put one on.

Runner
08-09-2000, 12:22 PM
ERIC,
The picture I was talking about that I said wasn't really a good picture to use was NOT one of yours, it was the picture on that site that has that roller striper. (commercial site) That was the one I was talking about. Your pics are fine, well, o.k., really good! :)

[Edited by Runner on 08-09-2000 at 07:02 PM]

Eric ELM
08-09-2000, 05:33 PM
I knew what you were talking about on the picture of the roller. What I wanted to clarify is for new guys that have come to this site in the past couple months that don't know I got a new mower with a stripping kit. All you old timers here know that all but 2 of them were taken prior to the new mower. I think the chain kit does a good job, but it did OK without it too. What I notice is the stripes seem to show up good longer with the kit, but it's not necessary to have.

dhicks
08-09-2000, 07:26 PM
--Lawrence:

I have been using the Toro Striping kit on my Z since May. At first, I was impressed. However, Iím thinking of taking the damn thing off. The rubber strip that Toro uses is of good quality and looks like new. But for some reason, I believe the rubber strip puts too much downward pressure on the turf and after several mowing jobs the stripe definition is lost. On some lawns, you cannot see the striping marks.

If you can figure how to use the E-Z Striper on the 62Ē Toro deck Iíll buy you a case of beer or soda.

lawrence stone
08-09-2000, 08:02 PM
dhicks if you would drop your mower off in York, PA for
the day he could use your machine as a pattern.

I will send him an e-mail to see if he will make one to fit
a 62" toro exactly so the end user can just drill and bolt it on.

Does anyone else what one of these rollers for a 62" Toro?

Maybe if we can buy 6 or more we could get a better deal.

dhicks
08-09-2000, 08:21 PM
Lawrence:

I would have no problem driving up to York for a fitting. If this pans out, my buddy owns Self-Service Beverage and you can go get your case.

Yippee!

Runner
08-09-2000, 08:33 PM
dhicks,
I'm not sure what you mean when you say your lines are losing definition. And some of your lines are even lost. Are you using the same rows all the time when cutting in a particular direction? What I mean is are you always traveling down a light row. Because if you're not consistent, you will never keep rows, especially if you're going the exact opposite way(traveling down a dark row). If you are right on your rows you should be able to cut in 4 different directions and always see your rows. Also, just a helpful tip that I always do. Establish a formula and stick to it, so if you ever lose your rows, you can quickly find them once you start cutting on the hidden rows. For instance I ALWAYS cut two from the house or driveway on residentials. This includes front OR side, depending on what direction I'm cutting in. Same with diagonals. After two borderlines, the third goes the opposite way. The reason for two is it leaves enough room to ensure no grass is blown on house and in beds. Sorry for the book guys!

Evan528
08-09-2000, 08:36 PM
i want one for my toro z master 62!

dhicks
08-09-2000, 08:46 PM
Basically, I cut both long and sideways to the property to avoid tire rut marks in the dry weather. I also alternate the starting point of the stripe. For example, if I mow in one direction this week, I'll mow in the opposite direction in two weeks. Even doing so, the stripes are so weak. There is little difference in the light and dark stripes.

Hopefully Lawrence can work a deal with the EZ Striper folks. If not, I'm going to try the double blades.

I used my new Hustler this week on most of my properties and it stripes exceptionally well. The customers are well pleased. I'm afraid they will forbid me to bring the Toro back after seeing what the Hustler can do. :(

excel25
08-09-2000, 08:52 PM
Has anybody gotten a price yet? Looks like it's built to last.

Runner
08-09-2000, 09:24 PM
dhicks,
So that's where your stripes are going! If you travel the opposite way on them,(down a dark row) it lifts the grass back up therefore losing the contrast. As far as the tire tracks go, I stagger mine to the left or the right once in a while so it doesn't stress non watered grass too much. Especially on borderlines!

dhicks
08-10-2000, 08:02 AM
Hopefully Lawrence can get us a deal with York Sheet Metal for an E-Z Stripe for our Toros.

Lazer
08-10-2000, 10:29 AM
In order to work most effectively, it need to be right on the ground. (Support the weight of the back of the deck) With that pillow block bearing contruction, I don't see how it gets down low enough.

And when in does touch the ground (or almost touches) isn't it going to tear turf when making a zero-turn?

I think it needs to be 1.) Larger diameter 2.) Rounded on the ends to slide sideways during turns with no turf damage.

lawrence stone
08-10-2000, 11:03 AM
I would only use this roller on sports fields. Fall season is coming up and I think double blades and the roller set at
about a half inch off the ground sould give reel mower type
stripes.

BTW the turf (bluegrass)is so thick the machine really has to work to mow it at an inch and a half.

LS
08-10-2000, 03:06 PM
To whom it may concern:
I bought two EZ Stripers and they work awesome!!!
However, when I tried to reach York Sheet Metal through their website I got a confirmed message and found out later that the link was not reaching their email. I found out their direct email address is ysm@gte.net . That's how I ordered mine. They informed me that they were having problems with their email link and were in process of fixing it.

lawrence stone
08-10-2000, 05:07 PM
After closer inspecton of my 62" walkbehind there is no room for that roller on my mower.

The left side blade is way back in the deck and left side
tire is too close for comfort.

Better luck next time and hold the suds.

gorrell
08-10-2000, 07:16 PM
dhicks, if you want to define your stripes, never have more than two striping patterns and follow one religously each week. Next week follow the other one. Always follow the light green stripe and your striping will deepen in contrast with each mowing. If you follow the darker green stripe you're defeating your purpose in getting a good striping concept. thanks, Lynn

dhicks
08-10-2000, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys. However, I will pursue talks with York Sheet Metal for an adapter for the Toro Z-Master. I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear from YSM.

REO
08-11-2000, 12:45 PM
I finally got my EZ Striper kit. York Sheet Metal was having problems receiving email so I had to call to order it and I got it right away.
This thing is built to last and works great.
I don't think it's for everyone-just for those who want upper edge quality. By the way, I paid $250.00 for mine.

LS
08-11-2000, 12:49 PM
Forgot to mention, York Sheet Metal told me they have three lawn care companies in the York area testing a prototype of an adjustable side discharge chute.
I didn't see it yet but they said they would keep in touch with me.
As I find out I'll will keep you posted. LSeitz21@aol.com

REO
08-11-2000, 06:05 PM
I finally got my EZ striper. I had to call for it because I waited awhile for them to get back to me so I called and they said their email was down. I believe that someone asked if anyone knows how much they are, I paid $250.00

Winks
08-11-2000, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if this kit will work for Exmark walk-behinds with floating decks? Just curious because I have only heard about Lazers with the kit.

dhicks
08-11-2000, 11:14 PM
OK the folks at E-Z Stripers A.K.A. York Sheet Metal said:

Dear Dave,
Thanks for inquiring about our EZ Stripers and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused in your inquiry. We hope to have our link up and running any time now.
Regarding your question as to an EZ Striper for a Toro Z-Master w/a 62" SFS deck-we will go to our local Toro dealer and look at the decks. We should be able to produce brackets to adapt to your Toro SFS.

As soon as we have any information we will email you.

Thanks again,
Dave Burchstead
York Sheet Metal, Inc.

Again, I'll let you all know what happens

REO
08-12-2000, 08:14 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the EZ striper will be available at your dealer in the " Very " near future.

Guido
08-12-2000, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, I got an E-mail today from a rep from York Sheet Metal I was in contact with earlier last month. He told me abput that new discharge chute called the "Director". He said they have 3 or 5 settings from open wide for open areas, to partially closed for around cars or people, to closed for around mulched beds. As soon as he sends me the pics he promised for this, I'll put them on my site. The pics for the striping kit have already been posted there. If I hear anything new I'll post it here! All you guys with the striping kit, let us know how you like it!!

Guido
08-16-2000, 08:31 PM
Hey guys that discharge chut I was talking about above,......... I got a couple pics up on my site, and I have the reps name and e-mail if you want it. Chuck, I hope this isn't out of line. I'm not making a commision or anything like that off these gadgets, I just think these guys should be able to hear and see about new improvements for their equipment.

:)

Thanks!

lucky4511
01-02-2001, 09:45 PM
how about information for something that will work with a dixie or scag walk behind? our lines are ok with no additional equip...however, always looking for something better, more definition

Eric ELM
01-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Go to my site and go to the striping page for info on a Dixie Chopper striping kit. I have pictures too. Click on my signiture or the little red house. I also have a Chat Room for DC owners and 2 for Lawnsite Members on my website. You just need AOL AIM95 to chat there. It is downloadable on my website too.