PDA

View Full Version : Check this out, you might be.....

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-28-2012, 01:23 AM
Ok, so I was just talking to another lawnsite member and he was asking if I charge more for using a walker with GHS. I told him no, but how I wanted to charge 5 more dollars to my new customers to cover the cost of the trash bag. I was telling him that I pay 55 dollars for a box of 100, 80 gallon bags. If I charge 5 dollars more a yard, then I will be making a profit of 445 dollars per box of bags. That alone would cover the cost of bags for 800 bags (8 boxes). And then on the other hand, in the city, you have some yards that are small enough where you can cut 3-4 of them only using one bag. So you end up making even more. Esp. when you have yards where you can only use it in the front yard. And then if you get a customer with a compost pile, you can save another 5 dollars there lol. Let me know what yall think. Old news to most, I just never sat down and figured that out.

CLARK LAWN
02-28-2012, 01:55 AM
What are you ising trash bags for?
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike
02-28-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand.

Do you just mean charge more for bagging?

I base everything I do, in every aspect of any business, off time and materials.

If I was to bag grass, I would charge more. For the extra time taken, the cost of the bag AND disposal.

Disposal is a big factor here. It means everyday you have to take that grass somewhere and presumably pay for disposal. Even if you have your own yard, that's extra work. You might have to clean up those clippings some day. And decomposing grass stinks, so you want somewhere out of the way to dump it.

To me, cutting a lawn and mulching is way less than cutting a lawn and bagging. Even a postage stamp lawn that would take two guys 10 minutes, becomes twenty. Fiddling with bags, added room during maneuvering, etc...

Also, you should be using lawn bags, not trash bags.

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Ok.......in the city, if we bag a lawn, we leave the bag on the curb for the trash man to come pick it up. No disposal fee, that's part of our taxes. Bagging with a walker is a breeze. and yesh you charge more for bagging because it does slow you down a little bit and you have the extra expense of the trash bag

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-28-2012, 02:32 AM
and if i really wanted to, i could bag the grass and then put the bag in the bed of my truck, if i could even lift a 10 bushel bag into my truck without it busting or getting a hernia and then go to the dump and dump it for free. taxes cover the cost of a dump in the city

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-28-2012, 02:33 AM
all that extra work dosent make sense when you can let the garbage man take it away for you.

CLARK LAWN
02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
So if you cant lift the bag of grass how do you expect the trash man to?

Im sorry but if i hired you to mow my lawn and you left a bag of debris sit at the curb you would be making a second trip to pick it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike
02-28-2012, 03:12 AM
Extra work is extra work.

One, leaving a paper bag of grass all week for the trashman, is not good for business.

Two, you can dump it at the dump for free, fine. It costs money to drive there. It takes time to drive there, time is money. It doesn't matter if you live across the road from the dump, time is money.

The cost of a bag is negligible compared to the added labor. Personally, I would charge for both.

You add markup for your bag, but I don't think $5 markup is appropriate. Markup is to cover the added overhead of sourcing, picking up, managing product.

orangemower
02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Whatever you do, don't let the customer get word you're charging them $5 for a plastic trash bag or you'll be looking for other customers.

That type of expense should already be figured in your hourly fee. Along with knowing you have to dump them, the dump fee should already be figured in as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

fireman gus
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
With our Walker we either use the bins that fit in the Walker's hopper or use a couple of rubbermaid tubs and therefore you are not lifting the total amount at one time. My clients would FIRE me if I left any debris at their house for the city to pick up. Make sure your price is right so it covers all your costs (that includes the cost for driving to the city dump, disposal fee, etc).

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-29-2012, 12:23 AM
how much yall think 10 bushels of grass weighs give or take.