PDA

View Full Version : Ford Engines, V10 vs 6.4L diesel

f50lvr2
02-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm sure this has been covered before but it never hurts to get up to the minute advice. I'm looking for a new work truck and have been making a short list. So far the two stand outs are an '04 F350 SRW with the V10 gas and stick shift, and an '08 F350 DRW 6.4L diesel.

Both trucks are more than powerful for my needs, mainly city driving for mowing routes, and occasionally towing a boat to the lake with family, etc.

The trucks are basically the same price with the '04 having fewer miles and generally looking nicer but the '08 seems good value for the year and miles. My question is basically which is better?

I've been reading and it seems I'm only finding positive things about the V10 other than fuel mileage, but the 6.4L seems to be more controversial. With fuel prices going up and diesel still very high a gas truck seems tempting.

Thoughts?

f50lvr2
02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Guess I might as well show you guys what I'm looking at just so you can have a better idea.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/ctd/2862866551.html
http://www.garygrossautosales.com/2004-Ford-Super-Duty-F-350-SRW-XL/Lincoln-NE/Used-cars/forsale.html?sid=&ty=Used&bstyle=All&specials=&cu=&ws=&mnprc=&mxprc=&slid=63&vid=24794&pg=2&ord=0&sort=CreationDate

ParkWelding
02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Seems like the gas truck is overpriced and the flat bed is underpriced. The flat bed might tell you a story when you go look at it.

grassman177
02-28-2012, 07:40 AM
i agree, but can attest to the v10, we have 3 currently, and have had 5 at one time. flawless and powerful, kinda sucky on gas in a 350, but a 250 has seen a cool 14mpg

maelawncare
02-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I love my v10 and will be upgrading it with another v10.

But between those two trucks. I would jump on the diesel. That price is too low to pass up.

LindblomRJ
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I would vote for the v10. They are reliable or more reliable than the 6.4. It will use more fuel but diesel costs more. Gas engines are cheaper to maintain.

f50lvr2
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow, this is what I was worried about, it seems opinions run about half and half on this one. The V10 does seem a little expensive but it was very nice for its age/mileage and the actual purchase price would probably be around $10k. I'm going to go drive the 6.4l again today and maybe haggle a little and see what happens.

Probably leaning towards the V10 just because it sounds like it might be a little more reliable and cheaper to run. But, if that 6.4l is just a cracking deal I might be able to run it for a year and sell it for a profit.

Valk
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Will this be for more stop&go or heavy hauling? Gasser favors the former, diesel favors the latter.

f50lvr2
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Will this be for more stop&go or heavy hauling? Gasser favors the former, diesel favors the latter.

Mostly short trips, stop and go, for a mowing rig. Occasional longer drives towing a boat or cargo trailer. Probably 90% short trips though. Nothing real heavy either, maybe 3-5k payload and towing around 6K.

MDLawn
02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I dont think you can go wrong with the V10. Yea the mileage is not great but nothing is great on fuel with stop and go or towing. I'm a little biased because I have one. The 6.4 was never a fuel sipper either from what I have heard.

Just looked at the ads and if something seems to good to be true (diesel truck).......Also some sellers will try to sell the V10 on it being rare and thats just bs stuff.

MDLawn
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
But, if that 6.4l is just a cracking deal I might be able to run it for a year and sell it for a profit.

Or sink enough money into it to go broke......

Mowingman
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I did not see the pricing on the gas truck, but it is probably an ex Fed. Government vehicle.. Either Dept of Agriculture, or Forestry service. That is their standard color of green, and not a common color sold to the general public. It is also a standard. Those std. trans/clutch setups are VERY expensive to repair if it should need a clutch. In fact, the clutch alone, can cost as much as replacing an automatic trans. in one of those.
Why do you need a 1 ton? Stick with a 3/4 ton to get a little better mileage and pricing.
Be aware that ford has not offered a good trpublefree diesel since they quit offering the 7.3 Powerstroke. That diesel model is problematic and a hard sell to prople who know diesels well. Resell price will not be good with that diesel in it.
The V10 is a great engine and it is too bad you can no longer get them in the 3/4 or 1 ton Fords. The pulling power is awsome and fuel mileage is not great, but no terrible if you are carefull how you drive.
I happen to have a 2010, F250 pickup for sale in the "for sale" section of this forum. It has the V10 and an auto. trans with a towing package. Check it out. Almost like new at less than half the price of new.
come have a look at mine. I am in Denton Tx, right on I35, not far from you at all.

SixFourStroker
02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
The 6.4 is great as long as it is maintained. If its not run. When they do go down most of the time it is over 10k to fix them unless you do it yourself. If it has under 100k on it it should still have the power train warranty on it. I have had great luck with mine and it pulls amazingly. It has 85k on it now. There is nothing wrong with the V10's. Some like to blow out spark plugs and the exhaust manifold studs rot off, but they pull great. Mileage will be about the same on both engines.

professional
02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I am trading my 08 F250 tomorrow. (6.4) Last year, it averaged 8.8 mpg. It will not stop the re-gen process and the dealer is not able to pinpoint the reason. I believe it is because I do not drive it long enough distances. The other day, they were able to make it re-gen in the parking lot of the dealer and we sat there for 45 mins at 2,000 rpm to get it to complete. That was after it had been in re-gen off and on all morning while driving my route. He said sometimes it can take up to 2 hrs. to complete.

LuckyFlyinROUSH
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I am trading my 08 F250 tomorrow. (6.4) Last year, it averaged 8.8 mpg. It will not stop the re-gen process and the dealer is not able to pinpoint the reason. I believe it is because I do not drive it long enough distances. The other day, they were able to make it re-gen in the parking lot of the dealer and we sat there for 45 mins at 2,000 rpm to get it to complete. That was after it had been in re-gen off and on all morning while driving my route. He said sometimes it can take up to 2 hrs. to complete.

DPF Delete and tune would of fixed that problem and netted you at least another 4mpg. I would steer clear of the 6.4 diesel. Mines a disaster. Might look for a clean 7.3 Diesel though.

f50lvr2
02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the input everybody. I think I'm leaning heavily towards the V10. His asking price for it was $12.9K but I reckon it could be bought around $10k.

I drove the 6.4l today. It seemed to drive ok but the dash was reading out 9.5mpg and the regen thing was coming on a lot. The truck has also been beat-on pretty good, those were a hard 110k miles, so their asking price is probably in-line with its condition.

Mowingman: Great looking F250 and good price but I'm looking to go totally debt free this year so am aiming for a lower priced truck. I'll be putting a landscape or platform stake body on whatever I get so the reason for going 1 ton is that with the setup I'm hoping for the 3/4 ton leaves me about 1700lbs extra payload for grass, etc. and the 1 ton gives me about another 1500lbs. I just like the idea of a little extra cushion when staring down the long arm of the DOT Nazi laws.

Also, I rather like having a manual trans, every vehicle I've had with a stick I get much better mileage in than an auto. Even the Stang is getting about 20.5 in the city and Ford only rates it at 17.

I'll keep this updated once my truck sells and I pick up something else. BTW the '07 Isuzu NPR Hd dump I'm selling is still available. My buyer I had lined up is getting a little flaky and I think the deal might fall through.

Day off?
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Get the diesel! My work trucks are similar to what you are looking at. Both '04 F250 Lariat, one with the V10 and the other is a 6.0 diesel. For the last few months the fuel cost of V10 has been $150-$200 per month more than the diesel. The V10 gets about 12 mpg in the city... 8 mpg with a trailer + equipment. The 6.0 stays at 13 mpg with or without a trailer. Also, just in case you ever want to sell it... The V10 depreciates rapidly.

grassman177
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
no the v10 does not depreciate rapidly at all. very proven engine with no issues, the two diesels are known for issues, why take that on?

Day off?
03-04-2012, 11:39 AM
no the v10 does not depreciate rapidly at all. very proven engine with no issues, the two diesels are known for issues, why take that on?

Good point! I did not consider the numerous times my diesel has been worked on. The V10 has been in the shop only one time and it was for a recall.

ParkWelding
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Seriously its kinda like apples and oranges. Both have pros and cons, and external costs involved. Make a list and compare it to what your ultimate needs are.

LindblomRJ
03-04-2012, 07:08 PM

I would take the V10. Had has an 11 with the 6.2 gas. The first gas pickup in 25 years for him. He likes it. We have a new F550 as a rescue truck with the v10. Excellent setup.

robertsturf
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Do NOT buy the 6.4, they have had all kinds of problems with that engine. Check some of the Ford forums and you will see the issues they are having!!

Clean n' Green
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
What truck did you end up with?

THEGOLDPRO
05-15-2012, 11:22 AM
He got smart and bought a dodge.

Turf Commando
05-16-2012, 11:02 PM

That's the worse statement ever ..!

f50lvr2
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM

:usflag: Close actually, almost pulled the trigger on an '07 Dodge.

I actually bought an '07 Chevy 3500 with a flatbed. Found it up near Omaha. Actually went there to look at the Dodge and happened upon the Chevy by accident. It's in really good shape apart from 1 dent on the passenger side fender.

It's a Work Truck trim but has 4 wheel drive, the Duramax/Allison combo and a mid-PTO...and, only 18,000 miles!! It's pretty much ready to go. I built some sides for it and painted them yesterday, now it's just a state inspection, registration and lettering and it will be put to work.

Here's a few pics as it was when I picked it up, I'll try to add some more once it's finished.

f50lvr2
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Well, sorry, it would only upload one picture. I'll try to get the others up later.

JDGlandscape
05-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Nice truck! I am a ford man personally and I agree with you to stay clear from the 08 6.4. If i had anything other than a ford, it would be a chevy, oh and good thing you stayed away from the dodge too :cool2: Ford and chevys have been much much better to me and most people i know

f50lvr2
05-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Ok, here we go with the pictures, got it figured out.

f50lvr2
05-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Here are a few with the sides on. Still need to tie them into the frame and get some stake pocket sleeves to reinforce the structure. I built in a small section that swings open on the passenger side to load grass through.