PDA

View Full Version : Srpring...Bermuda....Fall...

205mx
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I had a client today ask how to keep her bermuda grass green on through most of the winter, what do I do to help this? I was thinking of spreading bermuda this spring and then Rygrass overseeding in the fall? Any input would be great.

Sorry for all the grass threads. Tired of "compare this mower to this mower / stihl gas cap" type threads

*trucewhiteflag*

TNGrassCutter
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Ryegrass would be your answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Sure, why not overseed with rye? But I am no where near bermuda country. And perhaps I am thinking..it is just too cold to overseed where you are located.

Experienced overseeders: at what temp is it time to begin?

205: have you considered a lawn colorant?
http://www.dyegrass.com/
http://www.speclawn.com/

ArTurf
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
overseeding with rye in the fall would be the answer. Do a search and read. No way to keep bermuda active all year where you are.

wrager
03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
There is a down side to overseeding. The rye competes for nutrients and causes a slow green up come spring. The Bermuda can suffer. Golf courses do it, but generally kill off the rye with atrazine. Not many homeowners are willing to go through this.

Brett's Lawn Care
04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
The eye dies out in my bernuda yards when it starts getting hot. The bermuda seems to take over and stay green until te cool weather comes back and then the ryegrass comes back. It a nice cycle with perineal rye, overseeing is not required every year. That's what I do on my high end yards that care. Some prefer to have their lawn sprayed to avoid mixed grasses for part of the season so make sure the customer is okay with rye mixed into te Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I had a client today ask how to keep her bermuda grass green on through most of the winter, what do I do to help this? I was thinking of spreading bermuda this spring and then Rygrass overseeding in the fall? Any input would be great.

Sorry for all the grass threads. Tired of "compare this mower to this mower / stihl gas cap" type threads

*trucewhiteflag*

rye grass for a nice lush lawn all winter like down here in AZ. Some will go so far as to dye the browned out bermuda in the winter. Since my wife does the mowing, I vote for overseed with Rye Oct. of each year.