PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about adding card payment as an option. Any recommendations or advice?

WHIPPLE5.7
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Not sure if its worth doing or not. I know many people are dropping checks these day and doing it via plastic. I wonder if I would draw more customers if I advertised as taking card payments? How much are they? It would have to be a mobile one.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLC2000
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
read through my thread about quick books. there is plenty of info in it about accepting CCs and rates they have.

Ghopper3345
03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Your foolish not to add that. You will sell way more to customers. You will get paid way faster. I never looked back
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
funny i offering it and no one ever uses it.....

Ghopper3345
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Then you have to push it in other ways. Use it as a selling tool. People don't see the cash so they spend more
Posted via Mobile Device

mattfromNY
03-04-2012, 08:05 PM
funny i offering it and no one ever uses it.....

Thats what I wondered about my customers, whether they would use it or not. In 7 years of being in business, I've only been asked if I accept CC's once. I told the customer "no" and he had no problem writing the check.
In the other 'QB' thread we were discussing this, and I figured it would cost me around $190.00 per month in fees, if 50 clients paid w CC, based on a $120.00 per month bill per customer. That seems like alot of extra fees to swallow. Unless I charge the extra 3% to the customer. (When I worked in retail, prior to running my business, we were told it is illegal to advertise an extra 3% charge to customer if CC is used. At least in NY state. I'm not sure if this is still true)

jsslawncare
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I use Square. I have a card scanner that goes in the jack on my Iphone. All you have to do is send them an email and sign up. The only charge is 2 3/4% of total. (I think) No other fee's. and it work great.

Ghopper3345
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
The customer pays for everything!!!! It is illegal to charge them for it do you raise your rates
Posted via Mobile Device

mkarps
03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I use Square. I have a card scanner that goes in the jack on my Iphone. All you have to do is send them an email and sign up. The only charge is 2 3/4% of total. (I think) No other fee's. and it work great.

I just signed up for the free reader to be mailed. I accept very few credit cards but this looks like a hell of a way to do it. Do I have to swipe the card or will I be able to punch in the number also?

Roger
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I have followed other thread discussing the remote cc processing. I have investigated three services, but not for lawn services.

I'm always left wondering about the posts that talk about having the reader on a phone or tablet, so that "I can get paid right there." We obviously have a different profile of customer. I would say that only about 10% of my customers are home when I make a visit. Even for those, I would question my productivity if I am doing these financial transactions during work time. My goal is to get to the property, get unloaded, do the work, get loaded, and drive away to the next job. Despite "it only takes a minute" explanations, I find it hard to believe that several minutes, at a minimum, elapse to find the owner, do the usual chit-chat (oh, not sure where my wallet is today, let me look), do the processing, and leave.

When I first started, I had a couple of customers who insisted they pay each visit. I quickly learned this was a waste of lots of time. I finally said, "no, you will get an invoice at the end of the month." One lady, now deceased, insisted to work that way. She was always the last visit of the day.

Evening time, when I'm not being productive in the field, is the time to do the admin work, IMO. If you wish to do cc processing, you can do it apart from a personal conversation.

Can anybody shed light on my assessment where it is wrong?

wbw
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I have followed other thread discussing the remote cc processing. I have investigated three services, but not for lawn services.

I'm always left wondering about the posts that talk about having the reader on a phone or tablet, so that "I can get paid right there." We obviously have a different profile of customer. I would say that only about 10% of my customers are home when I make a visit. Even for those, I would question my productivity if I am doing these financial transactions during work time. My goal is to get to the property, get unloaded, do the work, get loaded, and drive away to the next job. Despite "it only takes a minute" explanations, I find it hard to believe that several minutes, at a minimum, elapse to find the owner, do the usual chit-chat (oh, not sure where my wallet is today, let me look), do the processing, and leave.

When I first started, I had a couple of customers who insisted they pay each visit. I quickly learned this was a waste of lots of time. I finally said, "no, you will get an invoice at the end of the month." One lady, now deceased, insisted to work that way. She was always the last visit of the day.

Evening time, when I'm not being productive in the field, is the time to do the admin work, IMO. If you wish to do cc processing, you can do it apart from a personal conversation.

Can anybody shed light on my assessment where it is wrong?

I would say that you are dead on for route work. For one time customers I am not so sure.

headz77
03-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Yes, that is my experience too. In fact, I signed up for square and never used it once. I use Freshbooks.com for invoicing. I invoice 90% of my customers via email. They have the option to pay online w a card via PayPal. The fees are similar to square. I use the Freshbooks app and can invoice in the field if I want to be paid right away- I love it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lalorslawncare
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I just ordered intuits system for the same reason as previous poster. I do many aerations and thatching jobs spring and fall. Almost without exception I have neighbors of jobs requesting that I service their lawns. Many times I have had to turn down service because "my husband has the checkbook" or " I don't have that much cash on me". I see it as a way to sell in an increasingly difficult market. As far as the service charge for the card reader, If you are doing an $75 aeration mark it up to $80 and call it a day. Convenience charges for CCs are common place, Go to your local DMV they do it.