PDA

View Full Version : One Size Fits All

Smallaxe
02-29-2012, 10:48 AM
It may be a good reminder that what we experience in a given situation, is not a valid point to 'generalize' into all situations.
The ability for a professional lawncare person to understand basic principles and apply them to individual situations, is Paramount to anyone in the business.

We can read an article and believe that it is saying something is good or bad, but we can't understand, "Why", it is good or bad, in this circumstance, then ask the question : "Will it", be good or bad in a different : time of year, texture of soil, available moisture, climate, cultural practices, amounts of apps, etc., etc.

It's as if an idea has been understood and it becomes the ONLY way to understand it. That may be what is lacking in the industry.

Is it wise to dethatch ALL lawns in Spring?, pre-m ALL lawns in Spring(twice), fertilize ALL lawns Early Spring?, irrigate ALL lawns 4 days a week for 45 minutes?, bag clippings on ALL lawns(every time)?

Can anyone name one thing that is best if it is always done on every lawn? What is the One Thing that is the SAME for every lawn, that makes it the best way to go? :)

kennc38
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Are you referring to generalized statements like:

"Aeration is not your best seed bed... period...";
or

"Forget aerators, when seeding is your objective... "

Or are you only referring to things we SHOULD do to our lawns?? :)

Smallaxe
02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Are you referring to generalized statements like:

"Aeration is not your best seed bed... period...";
or

"Forget aerators, when seeding is your objective... "

Or are you only referring to things we SHOULD do to our lawns?? :)

Why is the general statement, good or bad?
AND
When will it be best? or worst?

We tend to either get caught up in the latest trend or we're so stuck on a crazy idea, becuz that's the way it always been done; we think that, what we imagine, is the Basic Understanding about how plant life works... :)

Smallaxe
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
This conversation reminds me of purple-winged cows, strangly enough... perfect sense and rational organization, was so much simpler then...

DUSTYCEDAR
02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
what is best for a lawn doesn't always pay the bills.

Smallaxe
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
what is best for a lawn doesn't always pay the bills.

I know... it's easy for me to say, because I'm a full-service scaper...

However, my contention is that every aspect of lawncare can be profitable, if done correctly...
Beat out the shoddy, wasteful competition with 'excellence'...

The biggest problem, is with, the concept of the word, "correctly"...

:laugh: Nobody wants to believe that the 5-7 step program in a 4 month growing season, may not be correct... and will not "Think" it through... :)

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
i do my best to school the customer on what is best.
sometimes i just have accept some kids get left behind lol