PDA

View Full Version : are you registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)

stephen424
02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
i've been registered with the BBB every since 2009 and am starting to wonder is the $400/year is even worth it. i haven't gotten one new customer based on my association with them (or maybe i have and noone told me).

so i'm asking the guys that have legit businesses...Sole Pros, LLCs, business checking accounts, etc (no disrespect to the guys just getting started)

let me hear your thoughts...

orangemower
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
A total waste of money. They are there to make money. I know of a couple businesses that have ripped the consumer off yet they still have a high rating with the bbb. The more you pay in, the nicer they will take about you. They're a joke just like USM.
Posted via Mobile Device

frameslawn
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
I believe it is a waste of money as well. I am a member of our local chamber of commerce for social networking, but that is it. Let your reputation speak for itself with word of mouth advertising from your current customers. $400 a year adds up.

Dr.NewEarth
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I can go onto your BBB website and lodge a complaint about your company right now. And I'm in Canada and I don't even know you. My point being.....your competition or some PITA ex customer who messed you over can abuse their system.

I lodged a complaint about a large property management company that deals with Home owner associations (strata's are what we call them here.) This company seems to have a mandate to burn contractors and treat them like crap.

The BBB wrote back that they don't get involved in disputes over non payment of fees. ????????????????

I don't believe in the BBB. Even though I have had an A+ rating for over 15 years.

It's true though, if you're a member and you screw up, just buy a bigger ad in the BBB book the next time. Your problems will disapear! They're the same all over North America...Canada and the U.S. ( Oh....I only allege this.) hahaha

clydebusa
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Drop out now or as soon as you can. BBB is a rip-off. Same way with angies list! And google now has a site to add feedback. What a joke, a LCO in my area has 9 good reviews and 1 bad. There is 4 good reviews that is his family.

FLC2000
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
waste of money

limaint
02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Waste of Money...

mattfromNY
02-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I am so glad I read this post. I am glad I am not alone in thinking it is a big waste of money. Ever since I joined and paid my $400.00/ year, I have not been left alone by phone calls and emails soliciting more and more money!!! I have been told by one of their salesmen that I must be the 'only contractor he has ever talked to that didn't need his help to gain more market share', etc. I, too have no knowledge of ever receiving a single lead from this organization. I could find a better way to blow $400

stephen424
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I cancelled earlier today. What a task
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
I have had the renewal sitting on my desk for 2 months trying to figure out if the 400 was worth it,

I was thinking no, and now I am really thinking I will save my money. I don't know of any way they help me or make me a better contractor than the next.

FLC2000
02-29-2012, 06:52 PM
The best thing a company could do similair to this is join their local chamber of commerce.

mattfromNY
02-29-2012, 07:01 PM
The best thing a company could do similair to this is join their local chamber of commerce.

I agree. Make LOCAL connections with LOCAL business/ professional people from your area.

Greenway Lawn Management
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
We have had a completely different outcome with the BBB. Just joined 1 month ago and have landed for contract/install jobs. Each customer contacted from BBB.

mattfromNY
03-10-2012, 01:19 PM
OK, so I am reminded of this thread this morning while reading an email from the BBB about customers finding my business through the BBB website. SO, I go to the website, as I would if I was a customer. I try to search for my own business, since there is no option for Lawn care, Fertilizing, Lawn mowing, etc, I search under the landscape maint., landscape contractors, landscape architects... And cant find my business. I try using the zip code feature (fine print says the zip code is very specific to only the town of the zip code you type in)- My biz address is of the town where I LIVE, in a very small town on the outskirts of the towns I WORK in, therefore the zip code doesn't help. I search zip codes nearby, nothing. I search larger cities surrounding me, nothing. I cannot locate my business on the BBB website until I type the entire name of my business into the search area. So, unless a potential customer knows exactly the name of my business, they arent going to find me.

MSS Mow
03-10-2012, 07:31 PM
It's nothing short of a scam!!! The consumer thinks that if you're not a member of the BBB you must be a bad contractor or vice versa. It has nothing to do with the quality of a contractor. It is 100% about paying a fee to be a member. SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!