PDA

View Full Version : Mower been sitting, how do I get it running again

greengrass2003
12-04-2002, 10:22 AM
I have a 1998 Shortcut 1500, with the Kawasaki 17hp. It has been sitting for about 2 years, Due to health reasons. I want to get it going again, but before I attempt to fire it up what all needs to be doneto it and how do I do it? I bought the mower used and I recieved no documentation with it. Any help would be apprieciated.

Robert ONeal

mowerconsultant
12-04-2002, 05:47 PM
You will need to drain all fuel from the fuel tank, drain the fuel from all fuel lines and replace the fuel filter.
I would then remove the carburetor and clean out all old fuel.
The carb work can be a little tricky (cleaning out jets, needles, etc...) , if you are not comfortable doing it, I would take it to any Kawasaki dealer and let them take care of it for you.
You would also need to turn over the engine to get the fuel out of the fuel pump also, and possibly have to rebuild it also, due to it having the old fuel in it.

Later
Pj

crawdad
12-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Check the oil, spray some starting fluid in the carb, and fire that mother up!
Crawdad
Hey, keep in mind, the other guy is a Excel Hustler Representative, he knows his stuff, and I'm just a guy called Crawdad. I'm just saying what I would do. The carb is probably full of mung. (tech term).

greengrass2003
12-04-2002, 07:30 PM
ouch, The engine rebuild isnt what I was hoping to hear. What about hydraulic fluid? Should that still be good?

Thanks

Robert ONeal

mowerconsultant
12-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by greengrass2003
ouch, The engine rebuild isnt what I was hoping to hear. What about hydraulic fluid? Should that still be good?

Thanks

Robert ONeal

I did not say "engine rebuild".....
Possible carb rebuild at most.
You may just be able to drain the fuel out and be fine.......

As far as hydraulic fluid goes and engine oil for that matter, I would change both.
Be sure to add Lubrizol additive to the hydraulic oil, this product is available at any Hustler dealer.
The hydro oil is 10W40, and any brand will work.
As for engine oil goes, it should be either 10W30 or SAE30W, depending on your temperatures in your area.

Later
Pj

Arnold
12-04-2002, 11:37 PM
I would check the oil, drop the tank of fuel and see if she will start. I have an old National mower with a Kawasaki engine on it and it started after three years with no carb problems. If she wont start then check the other stuff.

greengrass2003
12-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Is there a way to drain the gas or do I have to siphon it out? also, I seem to have misplaced the key. Can i order a new one or can a locksmith just make me a new one?

Thanks Guys

mowerconsultant
12-11-2002, 11:13 PM
If you remove the side panels on your unit, you will find where the fuel line comes out of the tank, you can remove it there and drain your fuel.
As far as the key goes, it is a universal Indak key.
99.9% of mowers use this same key, go to any mower shop and buy yourself a couple.

Hope this helps
Pj

P&J Lawncare
12-12-2002, 04:40 AM
A small flathead screw driver will start it also.

greengrass2003
12-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Fantastic, I wish my dealer was half as helpful as you guys are!!!!

thanks,

Robert ONeal

greengrass2003
12-12-2002, 12:25 PM
just got the key. 1.97 at ACE hardware. Going to see if i can get it running this afternoon.

Thanks again guys

Robert ONeal

greengrass2003
12-12-2002, 08:20 PM
One last thing, What Battery do I need? I lent the battery to a friend a while back and I cant seem to get in touch with him to find out the type again. Also what part # is the oil filter and fuel filter?

Thanks Again

Robert ONeal

mowerconsultant
12-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Either a U1L or U1R battery will work, we suggest a 225 cca battery.

As for engine oil filter it is a Kawasaki part # 49065-2071
The fuel filter is a Hustler part # 068478, but you can buy any lawnmower type fuel filter, I suggest buying 1 that is clear plastic, with a paper element inside, these can be bought at any mower shop and many auto parts stores.

Hope this helps
Pj

greengrass2003
12-14-2002, 01:50 PM
got the battery in, and filled it with gas, wired it back up and put it back together. I cant get it to crank. The light on the panel comes on bright so I know the battery is hooked up. when i turn the key it clicks a few times. I know the neutral lock is on and the blade is not engaged, so where do I start trouble shooting? soleniod? saftey switch? Ignition switch?. where would you guys start?....

Thanks Guys for spending so much time with me,

Robert ONeal

mowerconsultant
12-14-2002, 02:46 PM
The clicking you here, is it coming from the starter or the solenoid ?
I would check the battery connections and clean your ground connection to the machine.
Try that and see what happens.

Later
Pj

greengrass2003
01-04-2003, 10:56 AM
cleaned the connections, still clicking. seems to be coming from the ignition switch. would this part click? is this a universal part like the key?

thanks,

robert oneal

mowerconsultant
01-04-2003, 12:46 PM
The key switch will not click.
There are some relays under the dash panel that would click.
Sounds like it's time to take it to the dealer.
Without having the unit in front of me I cant do anything for you now.
I would again check every single wire connection, and verify you have a charge on the battery.
And possibly remove the starter and have it tested at a facility that rebuilds starters and alternators.

Later
Pj

mowerconsultant
01-04-2003, 12:47 PM
No,
The key switch is not universal.
You must order it from your Hustler dealer.

Later
Pj