PDA

View Full Version : looking into a new zero turn, recomendations?

KLAlawncare
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
whats going on guys, im in the market for a brand new zero turn this year not sure what way to go???? looking between a 48-52 size range, i have exmark,gravley, toro,& ferris dealers close by, i like exmark more but open to options. im just not sure what model will give me the best bang for the buck

we currently have around 60-70 weekly accounts and will most likely pick up 10-20more at the start to the season. so far we have been using only walk behinds and have out grown them, i dont want to spend more than $7000-8000 range to be safe.....any help would be great thanks!

KLAlawncare
03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
anyone? alot of looks and zero advice

yardguy28
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
noticed 34 replies and no comments so here is my $.02

not sure there is a best bang for your buck mower. of the brands you mentioned they all cut similarly.

my vote is toro or exmark. avoid gravely they are cheaply made.

check out both sit down and stand on ZTR's.

edensgate7
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
to be nice and give a usable answer for you I would go with the exmark or ferris for the sit down zero....toro for the stander zero....have had good luck with both exmark and toro and demoed a ferris and liked it.

jsslawncare
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking Ferris or Exmark. I don't like the Gravely's because they don't have grease fitting's.

KLAlawncare
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM
yeah i put some thought into standers as well, i like the fact that they can be used as a zrr or a walk behind in tight spaces, how do u guys like the standers so far? and what brand model are u using?

yardguy28
03-01-2012, 09:32 PM
yeah i put some thought into standers as well, i like the fact that they can be used as a zrr or a walk behind in tight spaces, how do u guys like the standers so far? and what brand model are u using?

of the ones i've demoed i went with the toro grandstand. the exmark vantage is pretty much the same machine just different deck.

nice wide platform to stand on, easy adjustment of HOC, controls are great, handles both flat ground and hills excellently and saves on trailer space.

personally i'm not too fond of the walkbehind mode. the controls become to high up once your off the platform.

I MOW ALONE
03-01-2012, 09:41 PM
if you come up with a little more $ come take a look at my exmark lazer with 38 hours. it is like new you wont be disappointed. dont know if you remember but i bought those spreaders off you last year.

KLAlawncare
03-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys....I'm gonna head to the dealer to check exmark/toros out tomorrow.....

I mow alone....thanks anyways but a 60 is just to big for my needs....did u end up selling both of the power spreaders?
Posted via Mobile Device

I MOW ALONE
03-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the advice guys....I'm gonna head to the dealer to check exmark/toros out tomorrow.....

I mow alone....thanks anyways but a 60 is just to big for my needs....did u end up selling both of the power spreaders?
Posted via Mobile Device

no problem but i would put a 60'' anywhere i would put a 52'' as long as there is no gate. i put the 60 anywhere and everywhere it will go and have for years. but its your call. yes i did sell the spreaders.

yardguy28
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
i agree, a 60" is only 8" more and it will go anywhere a 52" will go.

but yes its his choice.

KLAlawncare
03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
i have quite a few houses with 52" gates.....i know i wouldnt be able to get a 60 back there, i like the smaller frame of the 48 & 52 for thos reasons

yardguy28
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
well the gate thing makes total sense.

in my neck of the woods if i can't get a 60" through the gate i'm not getting a 52" through the gate either.

either its a 36" gate opening or a gate wide enough for a 48" all the way to a 72".

KLAlawncare
03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
we have a few with smaller gates to...i have the 36 metro for that, we also have aloy of houses that are very close together and a 48 or 52 would be easyer to navigate through tight spaces, we have had 52 and 48 walk behinds but want something faster with mope hp & less strain on the opperator

BestImpressions99
03-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Demo demo demo. Go to the dealers and test them, even if it's in the grass they have at the store. You need to get on the machines and see what's best for you. I know spending 5k+ on a machine is alot to take onto your own judgement but asking folks about particular brands is like asking guys which they like better, chevy, dodge or ford... Just the list you provided I personally wouldn't try two of them (Gravely and Ferris) based on NOTHING more than opinion (mostly because they aren't big here in East TN and they probably are perfectly acceptable professional machines). I've only tested a ferris 1 time for about 5 minutes. Guys on here LOVE the ferris. So really you're digging your own grave with a mower that you decide upon based mostly on

GoldStarMowing
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
It sounds like you already know what you have your heart set on but I'd encourage you to check out some of the new Z900 Z-traks from Deere. I have a 920 with a standard 54"Pro deck and it's really been a great machine. Cuts great and it leaves really nice stripes. I paid in the $8,000 range for it but a 920 with a 48" deck or a 910 with a 48" deck would be a good bit cheaper.

As a previous poster mentioned make sure you demo! You wouldn't buy a car without test driving and I certainly wouldn't make a large business investment without making sure the machine I purchased was going to fit my needs.

The last thing to keep in mind is the dealer network. It's a given that at some point, something will break and having good folks behind you can make the difference between losing an hour or two of work or losing a couple days of work. Just my .02

Good luck!

yardguy28
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Demo demo demo. Go to the dealers and test them, even if it's in the grass they have at the store. You need to get on the machines and see what's best for you. I know spending 5k+ on a machine is alot to take onto your own judgement but asking folks about particular brands is like asking guys which they like better, chevy, dodge or ford... Just the list you provided I personally wouldn't try two of them (Gravely and Ferris) based on NOTHING more than opinion (mostly because they aren't big here in East TN and they probably are perfectly acceptable professional machines). I've only tested a ferris 1 time for about 5 minutes. Guys on here LOVE the ferris. So really you're digging your own grave with a mower that you decide upon based mostly on

finally someone who sees the value of demoing......

was just thinking about a thread where someone tried to tell me i don't know a thing about sit down ztrs because i've only demoed them and had one for a week as a loaner.

that was enough for me to know all i need to know about them......

orangemower
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
finally someone who sees the value of demoing......

was just thinking about a thread where someone tried to tell me i don't know a thing about sit down ztrs because i've only demoed them and had one for a week as a loaner.

that was enough for me to know all i need to know about them......
You should know everything about everyone, after all you created us and gave us life. Now if you could get one of your own, you'd be much happier. Bless your self all might one. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
You should know everything about everyone, after all you created us and gave us life. Now if you could get one of your own, you'd be much happier. Bless your self all might one. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

i can take a joke orange but you really are taking it too far.

give it a rest......

orangemower
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
s for what mower to get? I'd stick with the brand of walk behinds you're currently using unless you're having issues with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
it's all in what you like. i like John deere, scag, and hustler more than toro/exmark/gravely/ferris/snapper pro. i must not like red mowers or something. :laugh:

KLAlawncare
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
went and demoed a few today....decided on a 52 exmark vantage, compact machine, 24hp and perfect for everything we do....thanks for the imput guys

Farley
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I have a 2 year old ferris is1500 52" with the 25 hp kawasaki. Less than 300 hours. Also, a one year old ferris vac system included. Asking $6000 I'm in Rochester. dsjwhitten@gmail.com

KLAlawncare
03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
thanks for the offer but i wanted a standup and something brand new with a warrenty, thanks anyways

Farley
03-03-2012, 12:46 PM
No problem, thanks for taking a look. Have a good season.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
get a walker man, you wont be disappointed. stander go with a wright i have heard pretty much nothing but good. if i dont go with them for a stander i would proab turn to scag next and then toro/exmark