PDA

View Full Version : chipper/shredder

dcjb
03-01-2012, 07:34 PM
anyone have any insight on a chipper/shredder? looking for something to do landscape waste, flower bed,small bushes,leaves,ect.

integrityman
03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
It all depends....

I have the god fortune of having a faciltiy If I purchase mulch there....I cn dump as much organic waste ass I want.

I also can burn a lot of stuff on my lot.

Az Gardener
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Check with your insurance provider before you buy. I have been told that your workman's comp/liability will go through the roof. My insurance people told me they didn't care how high my guys climb they just wanted to know if we had a chipper.

edensgate7
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't know what maximum size of stuff you are looking to deal with but I have an echo bearcat which is a pain in the butt to get large amounts of stuff to go into the chute on top. I will say that I have beat it pretty good though and decent luck with it. It is simple to work on so if something breaks it is easy to fix. I got 11hp model 2 yrs ago and I use it at least once every couple of weeks. when there isn't snow on the ground.

jsslawncare
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I use to think I wanted one until I borrowed on from a friend. It had a 8.5 hp briggs on it and could handle up to 3". If you didn't hold on to the limb it would throw it back out. So, I think I have changed my mind about getting one.

Dr.NewEarth
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a bearcat too. It takes a solid hour to chip a pick-up truck worth of branches. Slow going. I put a bungy cord on the chute, but we still have to continually rake that mulch away from the machine or it will pile up and plug up.

I was thinking if I put it up on a short table or some-thing, it would allow the mulch more room to land onto a tarp.

I really never use mine. It just sits in the corner of the repair shop looking pretty

edensgate7
03-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I have a bearcat too. It takes a solid hour to chip a pick-up truck worth of branches. Slow going. I put a bungy cord on the chute, but we still have to continually rake that mulch away from the machine or it will pile up and plug up.

I was thinking if I put it up on a short table or some-thing, it would allow the mulch more room to land onto a tarp.

I really never use mine. It just sits in the corner of the repair shop looking pretty

yeah that pretty much sums it up....I didn't think of a stand though....mabey I will try making one sometime and post pics if I do. Thanks for the idea!

Ridin' Green
03-01-2012, 11:22 PM

I have a similar chipper with a 10 HP engine on it. I though about the stand idea, but then I realized I would need to make it more like a platform so that I had room enough to stand and shove stuff into the hopper or the chute, without having to reach extra high to get stuff into the machine. What I found works great is to take my handheld blower and blow the chips away to the side every so often, or to simply point it across the area under the machine where all the chips fall, and leave the blower running at 1/3 throttle. I lay a brick on either side of the blower to keep it pointing in the right direction. It works better than it might sound. I shove stuff in and have a helper rake the chips into a pile off to the side where we can scoop them into garbage cans or bags or whatever you want to haul them off in. Before the blower, we were constantly raking the chips out from under the machine to keep it discharging the chips right. We try to do as much of the chipping as we can over some type of pavement, which makes raking, shoveling and general chip clean up as easy as possible.

edensgate7
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
wow great idea green I like your thinkin with the blower....uses a little more gas but makes a whole lot less frustrating. Thanks for the tip!

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't recall right off the top of my head how much my SH85 holds as far as fuel, but at about 1/3 throttle, I can run longer on a few ounces of gas in it than I can the fuel that the chipper tank holds, and it runs for well over an hour under load at WOT. It's really pretty economical all things considered. Plus, if the chips are piling up fast from chipping softer materials, you can turn the throttle up as needed to keep the area clear under the chipper.

Sometimes being a hillbilly pays off LOL.