PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will This Take?

adamhumberview
03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey guys,

I am new to the site. I was wondering for some input from some of you guys and your thoughts.

We got 1- Z-Turn 60" Deck mower, 2- trimmers, 2- blower packs.

How long would a 3-4 man crew take to mow and trim 50 acres of boulevards? All within a 5 mile radius.

I personally think 4.5 working days of 9 hrs a day.

metro36
03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Really need more information. Is it just a long strip of grass along each side of the road? If not, how many sections is it broken up into. How wide are they? How often are they being cut? How much trimming is there? Do you have to pick up trash?

I would think that you are a little high with your estimated time but it is hard to say without knowing more. If you figure on 2.5 acres an hour then it would take you 20 hrs to mow. If you have travel time between sections that will cut down on productivity. With 4 guys, 1 mowing 2 trimming, and 1 cleaning up with the blower I would think you could finish in 3 9 hour days. Dont forget that this type of work tends to be hard on equipment so you will have to figure in extra maintenance/ repair.

TNGrassCutter
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Awhile.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
With one mower it will take a while Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike
03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
A zero turn, 60" might cut about 4-5 acres an hour wide open. BLVDs have trees usually. You would cut about 2-3 acres an hour.

You have 20 hours of mowing alone. What are you trimming? Tree rings? Sidewalks? Buildings?

Straight open trimming you're looking at 1000-1500 linear feet an hour. If it's trimming tree rings and firehydrants, it will be like 100' an hour.

As for blowing, if it's sidewalks, the zero turn can probably blast down the sidewalk and blow away most of it. But generally speaking, you will blow about 1/2 acre an hour.

You need either less men or more equipment. 4 guys will be tripping over each other or standing around.

crazymike
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Also, if it's for the boulevard maintenance in vaughan, it will go for so cheap, it's not worth you taking.

If you decide to bid it, plan on doing a fast crappy job with minimal profit margin.

Just looking at the bid takers list for that job, someone like grounds guys will go in at about 1/2 the price you can even do it for.

Not trying to be a downer, just the way it is.

crazymike
03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
There is 50 bid takers on that job. I thought it was bad in the East end, lol

adamhumberview
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I am definetly not worried about The Grounds Guys.. those guys cant pick up city work if they depended on it.

It will be an interesting tender opening thats for sure. There is not heavy $$ in boulevards because they are not looking for beauty.. they are looking for results.

adamhumberview
03-02-2012, 06:07 PM
theres only 15 registered official takers.. you gotta pick up the full document at the city office..

should be more worried about some people who recently bid $4000.00 A YEAR.. when the rest of the pack were avg $20,000-35,000 A YEAR!!

With the proper equipment and route system in place, we can cut 23 hectares in 4 days and do a CLEAN JOB. At the end of the day.. its all about the route.

crazymike
03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
theres only 15 registered official takers.. you gotta pick up the full document at the city office..

should be more worried about some people who recently bid $4000.00 A YEAR.. when the rest of the pack were avg $20,000-35,000 A YEAR!!

With the proper equipment and route system in place, we can cut 23 hectares in 4 days and do a CLEAN JOB. At the end of the day.. its all about the route.

When people go in way lower, there bid is usually ignored.

But when they are like $5000 cheaper, the city jumps on it.

If you bid the job to do it properly and make money, you won't get it.

You need to either sacrifice quality or profit. Or pray for a hot summer and not have to cut much.

adamhumberview
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
When people go in way lower, there bid is usually ignored.

But when they are like $5000 cheaper, the city jumps on it.

If you bid the job to do it properly and make money, you won't get it.

You need to either sacrifice quality or profit. Or pray for a hot summer and not have to cut much.

its per round of cuts anyway.. quantities estimated between 11-14 cuts per season.. spring and fall litter clean up..

this is my 1st time bidding a lawn maintenance contract for the city. im not in it for the glory of people seeing my trucks on the roads.. to me its all dollars and cents..

crazymike
03-02-2012, 09:28 PM
its per round of cuts anyway.. quantities estimated between 11-14 cuts per season.. spring and fall litter clean up..

this is my 1st time bidding a lawn maintenance contract for the city. im not in it for the glory of people seeing my trucks on the roads.. to me its all dollars and cents..

The thing about city contracts is it's hard to make more than a few dollars and cents off them.

They might provide some filler to keep your guys busy. But that's about. It doesn't hurt to bid them though.